The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing fluid (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
When I've used a bought invisible deck for a while invairiably a couple of cards start to slip. A light spray with Rough King firms them up. I generally can tell which cards need it in practice and it's not very often it happens anyway.
Just keep topping up the rogue cards.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Testors dullcoat.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 14:07, Sixten wrote:
I use small pieces of D***** stick tape. 1 per card.

Then I press my thumb on it and release for approx. 20 x's.

Serves the purpose.

Or you could go to the chemist and buy beeswax.
It Works like "D***** stick tape" but with less noise, that's what the oldtimers did, it works still...

But Humbrol & Testor's Dullcote is the easy way. As amatter of fact "Rough King" IS Testor's Dullcote.

I've even read that hairspray works, never tried it though...
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
You can get Bees Wax @ just about any hardware, Tandys Leather, are Craft stores.
I understand that car stater spray (either type) will work also for roughing fluid. Owln_1
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 19:57, Cardician99 wrote:
Rough King....

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=003926

I bought the same can from my local magic store and made my own deck. I think it works great, but next time I'll make a run to Walmart. Smile
<BR>Mikey M.
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Is this "Testor's Dullcote" in the hobby section or automotive please?

Thanks. Rachel.
I'd much rather regret something I've done than something I was too afraid to do. Have a great day. Rachel.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Hobby section or craft store type place...
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Thanks Agent. Do you happen to know what this "Testor's Dullcote" is normally used for?

Rachel.
I'd much rather regret something I've done than something I was too afraid to do. Have a great day. Rachel.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Normally it's sprayed on to either protect or give a soft, satin finish to glossy photos and negatives, murals, reprints, drawings etc.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Rachel, either one of these would do the job.

Testor's Dullcote 1260, in spray, Krylon Matte Finish 1311,
Magic is a vanishing art.
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Thanks edh. I picked up the Krylon Matte Finish and it works just fine.

Rachel.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
No problemo. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I've been haveing some problems with roughing spray I made an invisible deck that works great. But I have a trick where I only need it for two cards, the problem is (I'm thinking since they are seperate from each other, it may wear it off the card) it's good for one run with the trick, then after they are useless. Anyone else have this problem?
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
I couldn't find a place that ships testors dull cote to Canada (Toronto). Anyone have any idea where I can find it locally? I've looked around but haven't been lucky. Or perhaps where I can get the Krylon Matte finish locally? Thanks.
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ask a store in Toronto if there is an equivalent of Testor's Dull Cote and Krylon Matte Finish. In the USA you can find this stuff all over the place - Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, art stores. Any place that has a decent paint and/or craft section.

Demonbrn: I have always found the roughing to be long-lasting.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I've got gaffs that were made with Krylon that are older than most of the members here!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In the old Magic Wand there were effects achieved thanks to asymetrical roughing of cards (patterns are suplied): did anyone try this? Was there any drawback?

Georges Proust in Paris was selling roughing fluid in sticks (if I remember well a Fin Jon idea). Does someone knows about this: it was way easier to apply...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The only difficulty with the asymetrical patterns is remembering which pattern you used for each effect, as that influences the outcome for each particular display.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I once made an ID by running a strip of masking tape, horizontally, across the cards, leaving an area in the middle untouched by roughing when applied. I was looking for a solution to separating the cards more easily with my dry, ungripping, fingers. It worked very well.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I remember Juan Tamariz doing a routine with Jumbo Cards that were each roughed in different partial areas such that if he spread one way, one thing would show, another way, another would show. Can't remember the details, as it was at an A-1 convention in the 90's, and I never made a set up.

One other tip, in case it hasn't been mentioned already: roughed pairs can be "refreshed" by rubbing them together in a circular motion. Also, as Alan Munro mentioned on the previous page, Cashmere Bouquet Soap rubbed in an "x" on the non-roughed surfaces makes the pairs spread easier. I got this tip from Gary Ouellet, and it really works great.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Roughing fluid (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL