The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bad habits with expensive props? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
So after reading a few of the posts about problems that can develop from using cheap props for the cups and balls; I thought what about the opposite? Are there any problems, or bad habits that can arise from using expensive props? Let's face it, quite a few of us have cups costing several hundred, or over a thousand dollars. Expensive balls, wand, final loads and fancy close up pad and you're dealing with some serious coin there.

Let's hear from the experts.....
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Not using them for performance. Smile
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
If ever using your cup(s) as a spittoon be sure to empty ASAP, wipe clean and at first chance, lather, rinse and repeat!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The worst habits I have in magic have come from having expensive props. The first bad habit is the acquisition of more expensive props. Then there is the necessity of actually having to learn how to USE them.

This can lead to the acquisition of books, DVD's and even LESSONS.

The side effects of this can include things like "learning about magic." Or it might be possible to "learn about history."

Or not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I have seen people change their moves when handling expensive cups. Can't blame some of them. Its just that if it will change your tempo and handling...a cheapo would give you more magic.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
1) Don't try to throw and expensive cup on the floor to prove that it can bounce back onto your hand. (jus joking)

2) Don't hand out those expensive cups to the audience for inspections

3) Don't try to cramp everything (props) into a suitcase with those expensive cups without any covering or container.

4) Don't leave those expensive cups around the house or performing venue ... you don't want unwanted things to happen.

5) Don't have those feeling that because those are expensive cups you don't want to work with them for fear of damaging them.

6) If you are so fearful of working with those expensive cups, you can PM me and I'll give you my address so you can gift them to me. LOL
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Interesting guys. Bill and Rannie both have really solid points. (Yeah, Bill, God forbid you actually KNOW what to do with these things, ha!) Actually, so does Mickey. I had dinner with a magician friend a few nights ago and he had never seen the Sherwood cups so I took them to show. He asked if I actually use them. Of course, I replied. He thought they were just for sitting on a shelf, so that's taking Rannie's opinion to the next level. Buying super expensive props, and then doing nothing.

One thing I occasionally find not a bad habit, but a problem is when they see something that is obviously a prop, of course they think it's gimmicked. Cards or coins may be one thing, but they are familiar with those. But fancy silver cups and a screw together wand? No way buster. One way I combat this is when I do ring on stick, I make a big deal right before I pull the wand out of my pocket. Some people believe it's mystical, and it comes from a far off exotic land, (sometimes that's true) every magician has one, (they say it's a wand). I pull it out and hand it to them and say, no, it's just a stick, a very FANCY stick, but just a stick non the less.

Good posts guys.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A performer is less likely to abandon a bad prop, if he spent a mint on it. If the prop is bad for performing with, it's best abandoned.

Also, there are things you usually can't do with expensive props, like hand them out to be examined. A friend handed out his $100+ wand to be examined and a drunk spectator simply broke it in two for the fun of it. It's no wonder that I have to use audience management, as well as a fiberglass wand, when handing out my wand. If I ever have to replace a wand, I'd just buy a bag of short, hardwood dowels at a craft shop.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Worst thing I ever did with an expensive prop:

I happen to have four Johnson cups. I didn't need the fourth one.

I had just moved into a new place with only the magic books, guitars and a piano.

I had no dishes, no ashtrays. I was an inveterate smoker.

I have permanently stained a perfectly good Johnson cup with cigarette ash.

KG
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2008-12-19 23:50, yin_howe wrote:
Not using them for performance. Smile

This was my first thought. But, doesn't this keep the craftsmen in business? And make mint condition props available after their death? (I'm on Riser's "sell to" list, so my question is purely academic)
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Alan, that story makes me think 2 things. One, if the guy paid $100 for it and it broke that easily, he really overpaid. Two, he really needs to judge his spectators better. I hand props out all the time, but not every single person gets to examine every single prop. You have to know who you can trust with what.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those who are familiar with my Scotch and Soda routine know that the coins I use are very expensive. I have structured the routine so that I get the Twenty Dollar Gold Piece back right at the beginning of the routine. The only thing they might run off with is the English Penny. And that isn't quite as expensive!

When John Cornelius came out with his first version of the Pen thru Bill, I asked him if he minded if I converted one to a genuine Mont Blanc, because that was the level of audience I was working with. So I had to purchase two of them -- one to gaff and one for writing. It was very convincing.

Most of us tend to handle expensive props with a certain amount of reverence.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I've learned to have more respect for my magic props...

Having lived longer than I thought possible as a teenager,
and having stayed in magic longer than I'd have dreamed as a kid,
I've found many props irreplaceable as well as rare and expensive,
so I have a habit of getting decorative -and- protective bags and boxes,
made for all my props, the special ones, and the ones not made anymore.

I'd give my remaining teeth for many things broken or lost from neglect,
like an original appearing cane that was a gift from Russ Walsh in his 80's...
Live (and live, and live, and live) and learn (slowly).

Happy H'Days,
Walt
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a terrible memory of costs, so I don't even know what props I have cost, so I use everything the same way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 10:30, pepka wrote:
Alan, that story makes me think 2 things. One, if the guy paid $100 for it and it broke that easily, he really overpaid. Two, he really needs to judge his spectators better. I hand props out all the time, but not every single person gets to examine every single prop. You have to know who you can trust with what.

I agree, he should judge his audience better. But, he performed in a market that I just shake my head at - raves. His audiences were understandably unpredictable ...because they were stoned.

I use more audience management than I used to. Now, no one tries to break the wand. A drunk did bend my prized wand, years ago, which only an idiot would do. Luckily, it flexed right back.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Check out ebay. just too many cheap ones..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bad habits with expensive props? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL