The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thimble magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
I have not seen many posts, if any, on thimble magic. I know it is an old style, but I am just wondering if anyone has anything to say on the subject. I try to incorporate all kinds of magic into my routines, and I am looking for tips.
When asked, "Would anybody play cards with you today?" Ricky Jay simply responded, "Sure."
"Silly People."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thimble magic can be fun and has a lot of possibilities.

Very good for close up and parlor type magics.
Rather than approaching someone and asking if they lost a knife, why not a thimble and then going into any of the above.

The can be produced, vanished, multiplied, change colors and be used like a mini cups and balls.

Sure, they're odd to lot's of folks but they're more than just a so, so trick (pun intended).

Unfortunately, often overlooked.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The funny thing is some audiences do not even know what a thimble is?
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
As Jaz has mentioned you can do a lot with Thimbles.

If you are looking fo a good beginers reference that can still take you far in Thimble Routines, then try and get hold of a copy of the Thimble Magic Booklet by Jean Hugard

All The Best
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
I remember watching Shoot do some thimble work at the Castle in the close-up room. It wasn't your basic pop-off moves!
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I am soon going to be able to re-release my thimble routine... one which Jeff McBride is eager to get... stay tooned.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
The Tarbell Course in Magic (Vol. 4 - Lesson 47 - Pages 73 - 101) contains numerous effects with thimbles including sleight of hand methods, gaffs, and a complete Thimble Act. There are also ideas for various holders designed to assist with steals and switches.

Perhaps the Tarbell lesson will give you a good starting point until Pete's routine is once again released.

Hope this helps,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Shoot is very good with these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXh1zy3Qcs
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Steve Beam wrote a great book on the thimble magic of Joe Mogar ("Digital Effects"). Well worth checking out...

Looking forward to more info on Pete's routine, as well.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Hello. Can anyone compare the Joe Mogar "Thimble Dexterity" dvd to the Shoot Ogawa thimble dvd that he has offered? I was just wondering what the pros/cons/differences might be between the two.

I saw Shoot's performance on YouTube, and it looked like he was using some larger thimbles. I currently have a set of Mogar thimbles, but do not have any instructional dvds and was looking to pick one up, and was wondering which one any of you guys might suggest.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
Mark
"Go Browns!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's 2 different worlds.

Shoot teaches 1 routine.

Mogar's DVD is an encyclopedia.

You might want to check out Gary Darwin's thimble stuff and automatic thimbles for some different takes on the idea.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3498 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might check Sam Berland's Thimble Routines. He also sold complete sets of wooden thimbles--Thimble Jumbo is one that I recall--in addition to his regular printed routines.

His thimbles as supplied were red wooden pieces.

These pop-up on the big auction site every now and then.

Julie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I started with Berland's thimbles. Then I played with Walsh's multiplying Golf Tees (much like thimbles but pointed) then I marketed my own routine through Ken Brooke, called "Pete's Peeper". Entire routine done facing forward, no silly moves and a kicker finish. Jeff McBride is waiting for me to get a set together for him. In the meantime I have come up with a new finish (same effect different prop) and will be trying to get some quantities so we can re-market. Stay tooned.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I agree, get youself a Berland set and you'll be all ready to start, the little box comes with 8 wooden thimbles, a holder, a shot glass, a jumbo wooden thimble, dental dams and the routine booklet, all for like 15 bucks. It's an excellent way to begin. I still do a variation on his routine with my Fakini thimbles, I say they're toothpaste caps.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17160 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2008-12-21 10:47, lylemagic wrote:
Shoot is very good with these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIXh1zy3Qcs

Wow, he sure is...Learn that and you won't need much else.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love Shoot's work and he's a good friend... but what would you do with that routine as far as entertaining a lay audience?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17160 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 06:49, Julie wrote:
You might check Sam Berland's Thimble Routines. He also sold complete sets of wooden thimbles--Thimble Jumbo is one that I recall--in addition to his regular printed routines.
His thimbles as supplied were red wooden pieces.
These pop-up on the big auction site every now and then.
Julie

By the way, it looks like you can still get the Berland thimbles and routine HERE , and the price is right...although I cannot access their home page at this time...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Oh cool, another magical thing to do with my fingers...I am getting the gear from Mr. Mogar and gonna get to work..this looks really fun. I like the fact that big magic can come from such smallness.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Quote:

big magic can come from such smallness.
hmm..

my wife has mentioned this a time or two..packing small and playing big is what close up is all about aint it?
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In the last month I watched a great thimble routine and lecture. However, I don't think that the speaker ever knew that he was working with a mirror behind him!

It was still fabulous.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thimble magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL