The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Siberian Chain Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gborn
View Profile
New user
Illinois
3 Posts

Profile of gborn
I built my chain with schackles today. Although a most basic chain escape I am excited to have learned it. Does anyone have a routine they use or good patter? Thanks in advance.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Make it look really hard. Let the audience think you are straining to get free. Houdini claimed the key to that escape was brute force. Obviously a lie, but play it up. If it looks like it is easy, they will think anyone can do it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There are very good notes on the Siberian Chain in the Novak book Selected Chain Escapes, available from Cannon's.

I have had good luck with this combined with other restraints appearing to pick a borrowed padlock on the Siberian Chain. Once the chain falls off, no one looks at it.

The "brute force" claim would not play well for me. A lot of people work out these days, there is likely to be someone in my audience who is obviously stronger than me. These are the guys that I usually select to put me in restraints.

As for your script, decide who you are, what you are trying to convey, and the script will come to you.

Yours,

Paul
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Personally, I take the opposite tack.
Since I do more elaborate, 'high-effort' escapes after the chain, I treat the chain as a warm-up, 'playing with the restraints' routine, ala Randi with the Kellar Tie.

After getting chained up and having the chains checked for tightness and security, I have a cloth draped over my hands by the spectator who did the chaining & locking. I immediately bring out my right hand to assist him in adjusting the cloth ("Yes--just like that.") I grip the chain through the cloth with the fingers of my right hand and bring out the left hand to gesture as I talk ("I'm going to try to get out of these chains, which is a very difficult escape.")

"As you can see," I go on to the now-very-amused and nonplussed crowd, bringing the still locked chain out from under the cloth, "He's got that locked up very securely, so it should be quite a challenge. In fact, it will probably require some real thought, so I'll put it aside for now."

I put the chain on my table and thank the spectator for assisting me.

From a purely entertainment standpoint, it is one of the most memorable routines in my show.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Steve,

On those rare occasions when I am being humorous with escapes, I use the thumb cuffs in the manner that you describe.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Siberian Chain Escape (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL