The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Former Magic Editor of MUM Larry White has passed away... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
It is with a saddened heart I post the news, of the passing of Larry White-- the former Magic Editor of MUM, and long time SAM Member.

Wonderful Magical writer, inventor, editor, performer, and a dear and good friend both to me, and to the Magical community.

What a cloud over the holidays. Larry however left behind a legacy to Magic worthy of a king... he will live in all the words, deeds, and effects he left to the art.

Magically,
Walt
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
I too am very saddened by the terrible loss we have suffered. Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent out with regards to his passing.

It is with great sadness that I report on the passing away of Larry White. He fought a valiant fight, but he lost that fight to cancer early this morning. Larry was a past editor of the M.U.M., the official publication of the Society of American Magicians; he was co-editor with David Goodsell, PNP of The Oracle Magazine and was a prolific writer with many books published, several of which are in many libraries. The magic world has suffered a great blow with the loss of Larry White. My family and I extend our deepest condolences to his family and all those who knew and loved him. May he rest in peace.
--------------------------------------------------------
Es con gran tristeza que les informo sobre el fallecimiento de Larry White. Luchó una valiente lucha, pero perdió esa lucha con el cáncer muy temprano esta mañana. Larry era un editor pasado de M.U.M., la publicación oficial de la Sociedad Americana de Magos, fue co-editor con David Goodsell, el PNP de la Oracle Magazine y fue un prolífico escritor con numerosos libros publicados, varios de los cuales se encuentran en muchas bibliotecas . El mundo mágico ha sufrido un gran golpe con la pérdida de Larry White. Mi familia y yo enviamos nuestro más sentido pésame a su familia y a todos los que le conocían y lo amaban. Que descanse en paz.

Respectfully,
Maria Ibanez
President 2007-2008
Society of American Magicians
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Maria:

Thank you for your kind words.

Larry was a friend and a mentor to me. His advice has helped me in life as well as magic. He was a long time member of Assembly Nine in Boston, although not very active recently in public, his advice and guidance helped me immensely during my presidency.

Larry was a friend to those in magic, when asked for advice, he spoke plainly and direct. His friendship and his advice will be missed. As I said in another thread, this has hit me harder than I can relay. Larry has been ill for some time, but he did seem to be feeling better. Although this was expected, given his illness, one can never really be ready for the loss of someone we care for.

The world has grown darker and colder this day.

Tony Iacoviello
afuntimevent
View Profile
New user
CT
82 Posts

Profile of afuntimevent
I was honored that Larry White considered me a friend. Larry reminded me that magic should be fun, and his mischievousness permeated everything he did. His passing leaves a void in my life.

Larry graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a degree in science education and worked several years for the Museum of Science in Boston. He was director at the Science Center in Needham MA for more than 30 years.

His interest in magic began when he was in second grade. An author and inventor, he was always supportive of others’ creative efforts and generous with his own time and talent, helping magicians worldwide solve their magical dilemmas. He was the former magic editor for M.U.M. and the inspiration behind Devil of a Bar & Pub, which chronicled the actions of imaginary magicians who gathered at an imaginary bar in Boston. He wrote more than a dozen science and magic books for children and received numerous awards from the science and magic communities. With former M.U.M. editor David Goodsell, he produced “Oracle Magic Magazine,” devoted to bizarre and storytelling magic.

Larry was diagnosed in 2007 with inoperable stomach cancer that had spread to his esophagous and adrenal glands. Still, he faced the frustrations and vagaries of chemotherapy, hospitalizations and related medical problems with humor and zest. Last summer, he marveled at enjoying a glass of wine with his wife Doris on the deck of their home in Stoughton MA.

“I’m living!” he said.

Larrry's family is honoring his wishes by holding private services, only. Condolences may be sent to
Doris White
38 Lillian Rd.
Stoughton, MA 02072

The S.A.M. is setting up a fund in his name and is earmarking the money for the Society of Young Magicians. Donations can be sent to

Larry White Society of Young Magicians Fund
c/o Brad Jacobs, Magic Endowment Fund
234 Towyn CT
Lower Gwynedd PA 19002

Some magic friends also are planning a "Larry White Day," tentatively scheduled for Sunday, January 25, 2009, at The Magic Barn in Ashland MA. I'll pass along details as soon as I get them.

Marlene Clark
S.A.M. National Secretary
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
I am saddened to hear this,We have lost a great spirit.
May God bless him.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Former Magic Editor of MUM Larry White has passed away... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL