The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » How Convinced Are You by The Secret Life Of Houdini? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
I just purchased this the other day, and it looks like a very interesting read.

My question is just how convinced were you by it's arguments?

Colin
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Good post. I am not sure if I believe the Andy Rohan story. I don't think that the Chicago episode came down that way. But, maybe there are new info that wasn't around when Gresham wrote his book.

Bill, how much of this book is true? What's your opinion?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's hard to say. I read the whole thing, and I wasn't as convinced about certain parts of it as the authors were.

It was not uncommon for any government to debrief high profile performing artists after they went overseas, particularly into areas that were problematic for us.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
I haven't read it, but I am very skeptical. Dozens of authors have written about Houdini's life over the years, and nobody uncovered any of this information. Now that most of the major players in Houdini's life are dead, all these new allegations come up. That means no one is left to either confirm or deny the allegations. Seems a mite suspicious to me.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Other magicians have told me that the word on the street is that the authors have embellished (read too much into)their own research with the hope of having someone turn their book into a movie.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-12-25 21:25, MagicalArtist wrote:
I haven't read it, but I am very skeptical. Dozens of authors have written about Houdini's life over the years, and nobody uncovered any of this information. Now that most of the major players in Houdini's life are dead, all these new allegations come up. That means no one is left to either confirm or deny the allegations. Seems a mite suspicious to me.

If you haven't read it, then how can you judge it? That's the same way that fundamentalists excoriate the Harry Potter books.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
There was a certain amount of plausibility to the books assertions. To me the issue hinges on the State Department issuing him a new passport (showing him being a natural born US citizen as opposed to being naturalized as his original one [which was still valid] showed) on the eve of his foray into Germany. Why else would they have done that? Assuming that they did For this reason I tend to lean a little in favor of the authors' thesis.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a number of minor inaccuracies in that section of the book. One is that whoever wrote that particular chapter referred to Hungary as being part of the Austrian Reich. That's not really accurate. It was called the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Even though the capital was in Vienna, the Empire (or Reich) really spanned both countries, as well as some smaller states which still belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

If you go to Budapest today, you will still see remnants of this old time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2008-12-27 15:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
There are a number of minor inaccuracies in that section of the book. One is that whoever wrote that particular chapter referred to Hungary as being part of the Austrian Reich. That's not really accurate. It was called the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Even though the capital was in Vienna, the Empire (or Reich) really spanned both countries, as well as some smaller states which still belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

If you go to Budapest today, you will still see remnants of this old time.

Those kinds of things are why I am only leaning in favor of their thesis and not totally sold on it. If they are botching verifiable facts like that, how do we know they are not misreading other things.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Having read a large number of Houdini texts, discussing things with Sid Radner, Pat Culliton, Kevin Connolly and others as well as working with the (now defunct) Appleton Houdini Museum, I have to say I put very little stock in the "Secret Life" assertions.

Anyone who traveled as widely as Houdini during war years would be de-briefed by governmental agencies. Anyone as high profile as Houdini would have access to people at almost every level of government- Heck, Teddy Roosevelt sought him out! The fact of the matter is, Kalush & Sloman chose one possible interpretation of some events in Houdini's life. Another author with another concept to develop yet another book on Houdini could interpret all of the same events an entirely different way.

If you want to take a look at what I consider the best overall Houdini look, check out Ken Silverman's book "HOUDINI!!!" Based on what I've learnwed over the years, it is, in my opinion, the most factual.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
The best books on Houdini are the 1-Silverman book (though not sure about the wife of Jack London escapade which may have been put in to sensationalize) , 2- the Christopher book, and 3- the Gresham book. And for the fun of it and 4- the legend building by Houdini's wife and Houdini in the book by -Kellock.

The Kalush & Sloman has many fictionalized conversations that never happened that are made up, which in all fairness the writers warn you of at the start of the book.

Dick Brooks and Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2008-12-27 00:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
...If you haven't read it, then how can you judge it? That's the same way that fundamentalists excoriate the Harry Potter books...

Yeah, but that is okay because Harry Potter is evil. This I know. For the Fox News tells me so.

I have a layman friend who bought the Secret Life of Houdini for me. But he got curious and decided to read it first. So I haven't cracked the cover yet... Should be interesting to see how a member of the general public reacts to the book.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2009-01-23 01:54, nathanallen wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but that is okay because Harry Potter is evil. This I know. For the Fox News tells me so.

It could be much worse. You could be believing in what MSNBC is telling you. Luckily no one watches it.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Kevin...You are so right...I think more people would rather watch paint dry than be forced to watch a MSNBC program. MSNBC was up for sale last year as part of GE's attempt to cut it's losses; Maybe tey are waiting for a gov bailout....lol
James
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Lol... I actually enjoy watching both, for very different reasons.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
It depends on how you define "convinced."
I think the spy angle was plausible, but not incredibly likely.
On the whole, I really enjoyed the book.
The part about Bess' shenanigans with the medium after Harry's death were particularly interesting to me, because I read this "Supernatural encyclopedia" at the library that still claims that Bess legitimately heard that message.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
You might enjoy our interview with one of the authors (William Kalush) as he talks at length about the book and his research:

http://www.magicnewswire.com

(Just click on Bill's name in the center column)
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
basic_mystifier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of basic_mystifier
Book was a good read, however don't know if I can make myself believe it ALL. ( Finished it last night)
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
Kevin,
It is not MSNBC, it is BSNBC.

To All other Respondents,
Ref: Kalush / Sloman, SECRET LIFE OF HOUDINI,
If you purchase the Houdini Laid Bare set, you will receive a companion book that gives the footnotes and sources of the information on the pages therein. This does help substantiate the story.

They have proven Houdini was tied to the government. It is your place to disprove it.

Then you have other magicians that were tied to their governments, which makes the story more believable. Magicians such as Robert Houdin, Kalanag, and Jasper Maskelyne. I am sure there are others you can add to the list.
Garry Hayes
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I like it BSNBC. LOL!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » How Convinced Are You by The Secret Life Of Houdini? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL