The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Copyright infringement? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
I was doing a search on Google relating to Gadabout Coins and came across a website that has the entire Bobo book as a PDF. This seems wrong. I don't know if this pdf is showing on Google in error, or if this website grossly infringing on the correct owners of this classic. I don't even want to list the link as to not endorse this site. Am I mistaken? I am posting this here because it is likely that someone here might be aware of who to notify if this is indeed an infringement.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Um... Welcome to the 21st century?

If you really want to get steamed, just try looking up current magic DVDs available on bit torrent...

It's bad, and people are getting ripped off.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
This discussion will be of interest to you:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=2&21
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
My understanding (could be wrong) is that Magic, Inc. let the copyright lapse (you have to renew for longer protections), and that much of the book (minus the later chapters of the hardcover edition) are in the public domain now.
D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 23:17, agent61 wrote:
This discussion will be of interest to you:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=2&21

Thanks for the Link. I guess the doors are open for the squatters to set up.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
The copyright on the original has lapsed. Dover only reprints books when the copyright has expired. However, the new version with the additional chapters is still under copyright by Magic, Inc. When I shot the Modern Coin Magic DVD set, we only included material from the original publication. We had no rights to reproduce the new chapters.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Isn't the book open to the public now, anyway? I understand it is wrong to copy the book and give it away, but seriously, anybody can get it right now if they wanted to. BTW, I'm not taking any sides, it's just true. lol

-Mark Tirone
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, the original is now public domain, so no laws are being violated. However, many books and videos that are still under current copyright are being copied and sold or given away on the Web (including a number of my own). Sadly, because the Internet is largely unregulated and much of this happens in foreign nations, there is nothing the copyright owner can do in many cases, other than beg the consumer not to take the free knock-offs.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Yeah, this has been discussed many times. There is seriously nothing we can do but be much more careful with what we put out there. Almost all of my PDFs and videos have passwords for them so that they cannot be put onto the Internet, but who knows?

-Mark Tirone
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Copyright infringement? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL