We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Magic vs Genii (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Okay so I have been wanting to get a subscription to a magic realated magazine for a while now, but I am stuck on which one to get.

For someone who is into sleight of hand and mentalism do any of you suggest magic vs genii? or is there another publication I might want to look into.

Hope this is the correct place to post this. Thanks
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3220 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
See thread a few spaces down on this same subject.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Save your money and buy Corindas 13 steps and you'll be well on your way.

If you want more references PM me and I'll be glad to set you up.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
Genii is probably better written and has a slightly more historical slant. Magic might be a bit more current with more focus on reviews and what's hot. Both will touch on mentalism and break down sleight of hand. I rarely read either, but this is how I remember it.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Try Magicseen magazine for both soh and mentalism related material.

I think you'll find this British based publication beats Genii and Magic by quite a margin in these areas.

The reason it's so good is because Mark Leveridge is involved.

It's also availabale as a download from lybrary.com which means you could be reading it within the next 10 minutes.

Genius!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Chad,
Of the two magazines you pointed out for subscription to, Magic appears to be the better for your current wants.

It is a younger feeling magazine and if you look into some back issues there is tons of stuff in Talk About Tricks with Josh Jay. Also Anthony Nyman has contributed some stuff in past issues and Anthony Owen as well. I think I can safely say that Magic is the better option for you to subscribe to.

P.S. It is cheaper to buy full runs of back issues if you are looking specifically for tricks and mentalism. You could get the year long run that has Anthony Owens or the year with Andy Nyman, etc.

Cheers,
J
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1134 Posts

Profile of Chris
I agree, if you must choose between Magic and Genii for the stuff you are interested in, Magic is probably the better choice. But I think neither of the two really have much to offer compared to some of the must read books on mentalism and sleight-of-hand. The price of the subscription will buy you much more than either magazine will provide in these areas.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I've been a subscriber to Magic for 3 years... it's a fantastic magazine that, while it gives excellent history and theory, also provides up to date info on the magic world.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4237 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I would have to say the best subscription deal is that $1,000 lifetime subscription to Genii. Getting the physical back issues, the online library of back issues, the Genii publicated books, and the Kaufman publicated books is a steal!
matthew90
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of matthew90
Only if I had a grand to spend on that....
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1153 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've been getting MAGIC for 3 years now, and decided this year to add Genii. 2 is better than 1, right?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3220 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Ive been a Magic guy for about 12years or more and I too am thinking of adding Genii.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I'm renewing my subscription soon. Just waiting for some funds.. hopefully by next week.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 16:13, Corbett wrote:
I've been getting MAGIC for 3 years now, and decided this year to add Genii. 2 is better than 1, right?

Right, but Genii is OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
If I could only afford ONE magic magazine, it would definitely be:

MAGIC MAGAZINE.
greatchach
View Profile
New user
Texas
83 Posts

Profile of greatchach
They're both good, but as far as which one... it's a matter of taste. Personally, I give the advantage to Genii because it seems to have a bit more in the way of historical articles where Magic (at least to me) is more focused on current acts. That said, I subscribe to both because there is plenty to be learned from both.
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I like and read them both but if the redesigned MUM continues its new direction, I'll vote for that one!
misterian
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of misterian
I purchase and read both Genii and Magic. Genii has more information in my opinion, Magic on the other hand is just fun to read. Either way I learn something new in both.
Borack
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay
109 Posts

Profile of Borack
Magic stacks easier on a shelf and shows the volume and date on the spine..!!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I like Genii myself. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Magic vs Genii (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL