The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Karnival Deck by Big Blind Media (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Karnival Deck by Big Blind Media
Medium: Playing cards
Arena: Close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I will admit that I do not like virtually every specialty deck that has come out. Some have been of high quality with backs that make no sense nor apply themselves to presentations or they are simply black and the way cards are cut it takes away from performing. The key market for these cards has been the so called 'street magician' whos primary goal is to get girls to scream. When I initially heard of the Karnival Deck I expected the same, a deck of cards I just wouldn't use in presentations to a real audience. Well...I was wrong.

First off the decks are produced by the U.S. Playing Card Company and they handle as well as any other Bicycle deck does. What I was struck by was the artwork that is on these cards. You can check it out at the Big Blind Media web site but note they are out of stock until mid January but your magic shop likely has these. The basis of the design is Carnival in New Orleans it seams but on the evil side. The deck has a great ace of spades with a skelton wearing a top hat, the jockers also have skeltons, this time winged. Beautiful stuff if you like the dark side like I do. The back design is great with skeltons and a grid and as an added bonus you can likely come up with a nice marking system. The borders are white and so are the faces so you will not have the problems you have with a black deck.

The designs lean themselves to performance. They can be cards from a poker game with a man in a hat whos face you couldn't see, the devil for example, or pirates, or anything else you can think if where skeltons can come into play. I think they actually make more sense than a regular Bike deck that is just black because people expect different designs on backs but black cards just are not reasonable. I think these are just great and while you'll pay a few bucks more for them if you have a use it is worth it. This is my favorite design I've seen so far on any deck of cards. Well done Big Blind Media.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Is it just me are are there too many of these types of decks on the market?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are certainly cards produced that don't have any purpose out there. I've actually seen people who think the ghost deck or black tiger deck is a trick and that by just using them they are creating magic. At the IBM convention a couple years ago a dealer was giving away the black decks and the workers were just tossing them aside or trying to give them to others just to pester them while the kids were huddled at a table clutching the black decks as if they were gold. Sure they would be interesting in a full color deck change at the face but other than that the cuts make lots of moves and alignments a problem. I like this deck because the design has a real edgy evil look and is an ink drawing. It is a design that works in a gambling routine but it would never replace a regular deck of bikes for my daily use. It is the first off deck design I've seen that I really liked, I'd not pay a dollar for the ellusionist type decks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Karnival Deck by Big Blind Media (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL