The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Indy Escape Convention - Ian McColl's lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
One part of the Escape Artist's Convention that should not go without mention is the lecture provided by the legendary Ian McColl.
Ian is a master locksmith from Australia, and his name has always been spoken with the most sincere respect.

To be able to meet Ian, talk with him, joke with him, and experience his mastery was, well, worth the trip all by itself. Ian is a consummate gentleman, and his craftsmanship is second to none.

Ian presented a beginner-intermediate lecture on lock picking on Saturday. Sure, I've read the various pamphlets, used picks for fun, and experimented. Still, one hour with Ian left me with four or five bits of knowledge that will improve all of my future efforts.

As a finale, calmly picking open a padlock in front of a focused crowd in less than 20 seconds certainly cemented the moment for all that attended!

--- Guy
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Guy said it very well. Ian is an incredible wealth of knowledge. He shared with us many ideas and tools that will remain with us for years to come. Indeed his lecture was informative and like Guy said, to top the lecture off with easily opening up a Chubb padlock was enough for me.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I agree ... Ian's lecture was worth it! The one hour of his lecture gained me more knowledge than the three months I've been studying so far in my locksmithing course. Ian took some time out of his busy schedule to help me with some of my locksmithing stuff. He's a great guy.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Guy and others who attended my lecture, thank you for taking time out of such a very busy convention to listen to me when there were so many great artists to talk to and watch perform.

The best part of the convention for me was to meet all those who attended and to be treated as equal even though I do not perform escapes myself.

I did get correctly dressed in the gold shorts and padded top ready to do the "southern style" strait jacket escape but everyone was laughing at me too much to pass me the strait jacket. Maybe next year I will do it. (You had to be there!)

In all seriousness, words cannot do justice to describe the friendship so freely given from all in only seconds of us meeting. The bond of our art has linked us all for a life time. Hope to be with you next year.

Ian McColl
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Ian! We weren't laughing AT you!! We were laughing WITH you!! Besides, the padded top wasn't quite accurate, though! Smile

Also, if you wanted to pull it off most accurately, you HAD to do something with the hair. Smile

Next time, it will have to be with the red!!

Margarette
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Wait a min. That top was padded? It looked so natural. Great you guys warped my mind. Thanks a lot. Smile Smile Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Shawn, it could have been worse ... he could have found the yellow lace top or the black lace top and put either one of those on ... and the shoes ... let's not forget the shoes!!

I think now, I'm gonna cut my hair, dye the remainder of it black and move to Alaska where no one knows me!!! Smile

Margarette ... wondering if she should show her face at next year's convention!

Margarette
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Oh dear, it appears I missed one of the more interesting moments of the convention. Smile

Maybe next year Smile

--- Guy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Margarette, the most dangerous part of your escape is accidentally breaking an ankle as you fall off the 4 inch high pumps. My padded top was my built in air bags in case I fell.

What a brillant time we all had. And as you said in your private email Margarette, no alcohol was needed for all of us to hang out and be at ease with each other. The only intoxicating thing with 22 people in a small room was sincere friendship and a love for the art that brought us all together.

Ian
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
.....and cookies, Ian! We can't forget the cookies!!! Smile Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I must confess I thought it was going to be an "orgy" of drunken bums at night and was really impressed by our soberness and sharing. I made some awesome friends (especially Kevin, Kristen and Margarette— the rest of you I considered friends already thanks to the Internet). The biggest problem was that it was too short a time for us all.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Were there only 22 people in the room? It seemed like a lot more!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Ah geeze sappiness...

The escape artist's worst enemy.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I think we all agree that it was a great time! I'm already counting down the days till next year! Oh, Ian, if you need help in raising funds to make the trip ... I'll bake some cookies and hold a bake sale!! Smile Special orders anyone??

Also, I have never been one to let a challenge pass me by, and since I was challenged to do this, here goes ... "mink side down." One of those things you had to be there for! Smile Smile Smile

I have a feeling I'm gonna pay for that!

Margarette
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Margarette, yes it was the best time ever. I was thrilled to witness Kristen's WTCell escape from only feet away. Shawn's excellent presentation of his escape. Mike Griffin's truly amazing handcuff escape which melted right though his wrist and your strait jacket escape. Loved the misdirection with the attire. "Mink side down" for you too.

All the best

Ian
John Bushey
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of John Bushey
I too will add my compliments to Ian on his lecture. The convention was, to put it simply, INCREDIBLE! I enjoyed seeing all my friends again and also meeting so many new ones. GREAT job Mark and Shiela. Thanks to Kevin and Kristen (I never knew I had telepathy), and thanks to Margarette for the fantastic cookies. If it'll get Ian over here again mark me down for a few dozen. GREAT escapes Mike, Joe, and all those who performed for us throughout the convention!
Why didn't we do this years ago?

John Bushey
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I've now heard far too many good things about this not to ask this ....

Does anyone have dates and venue yet for next year?? Smile

Thanks,

James.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
For at least the next year, it will be held again with the Indy Lock show (according to show coordinator Peter Best.) But, I lost my dates sheet. Does anyone still have theirs?

Glad to see you're still around, James.

X
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Thanks Shawn,

Yup, I'm still around ... just been so busy in the last 6 months or so I've not gotten online! Smile

James.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Sorry, that should have been Peter Schaeffer (SP?.) Peter Best is a musician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Indy Escape Convention - Ian McColl's lecture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL