The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to Mix Music any Advice on the Mac (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Is Appreciated I bought a program called djay the website is http://www.djay-software.com anyone have any advice on how to mix as to what am I supposed to do like start the other table earler etc.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I am a DJ can you please re explain exactly what you want to do?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll like to know how to mix or combine some music together. like putting some parts of music together and I'll like to know about what audio effects to do and how to use them. if you go to the web site that I posted you'll see the two turn tables the gain control and the mixer slide control. I'll like to know how to go about using this program. like lets say how or when do you start the 2nd table while the 1st table is still going. I'll like to edit some music together so that there are no silent spots in between the songs/music feel free to pm me if you wish. Don,
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Yikes...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Oh ok trhats really easy but will take practice. If you want to do words from a song with background music of another (For example Eminem rapping my name is over a AC DC Rock song entitled back in black) This is known as a mash up. You go to limewire (You cant find this stuff on itunes or for purchase) and you would type in Eminem Acapella, and ACDC Instrumental. Now you play the instrumental on deck one and the acapella on deck 2. You play with the pitch control and speed up or slow down the acapella to match the instrumental.This is known as beat matching.

The same technique is used to blend songs together. I do not own a mac or this software but they are all the same as well as real turntables. With a DJ Set up there are 4 main components which are 2 turntables a mixer and headphones
The headphones plug into the mixer basically you are playing a song on deck one and have the mixer's cross fader all the way to the left which is where deck one is. You now are listening to deck two in the head phones but the nightclub can not hear it yet. You are either speeding it up or slowing it down using the pitch control to match the beats up so it is the same tempo as deck one. This listening and matching up process is known as cueing. Once you are matched up and want to bring the next song in you slowly move the cross fader over towards the right which is where deck two is. This is known as blending.

I just described to you how to do it in a night club but on the computer it is going to work the same way. you want to make sure that you can have track one playing and then smoothly blend it into track two. In DJ Computer programs there is an option basically for you to be able to cue track two (That is listen to it and speed it up and slow it down) But not actually record this cuing process. So when you listen to the finished product it will sound like a mix cd track one seemlessly blending into track two.

It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it it actually is not. When I started I would mess up because I would concentrate so hard. loosen up and feel the music.

When you start DJing you will never hear music the same way again you will be able to hear the first few beats of a song and know what it is, you will listen and hear beats and all of a sudden a trigger goes off in your head and you will think :this song would mix prefectly with this other song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zC5W5vfW2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-nAAbMYwo&feature=channel
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
From the way this program is I think I can mix and blend now the main thing is how much time does the DJ allow himself to blend into the next song/music if I can find this out I should be able to do it. I also have a record option on this program to. its a nice program but like you said it will take practice.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
As far as how much time that is totally up to you. Do what feels right, do what flows. Sometiems I see DJs in clubs play a minute or so of a song and drop another one and do a set of like ten quick songs which is good if a crowd is hot and dancing and you play 10 really hot songs. Or you can do the whole song blend it in to the next. Also sometimes DJs will mix two songs and change it at a word that is similar.

For example say you have a song and a lyric is "I like to party" On the other song that's on deck 2 a lyric might be "Party all the time" Well you can play beat match to make sure tempos are the same on both decks and as soon as the lyric that is on the song on deck A "I like to" (Dont play the word party) Move the crossfader over to deck 2 and play the lyric that says "Party all the time" So you continue basically to the next song

What else you can do is have it all beatmatched and blended and as soon as the last lyric of the song on track a plays start up deck 2 which you already have beatmatched and not slowly move the cross fader over to deck 2

One other REALLY good piece of advice is you can use the equalizer to help the mixing say I have track 1 playing on deck 1 and want to bring in track 2 from deck 2 I will cut the bass all the way down on track 2 deck 2 that way you don't get an extra loud beat and it sounds like its blending better and as soon as the corssfader is all the way on track 2 deck 2 bring the bass up immediately
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Um... I use a Mac and I personally dig Garage Band... It does pretty much everything I need it to do...

It may not suit your needs... If all you're trying to do is fade out one song while fading in another so there's no gap, Garage Band works nicely...
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mystical Matthew How can I use GarageBand I have not the slightest idea as how to use it.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
By reading the instructions would be my guess Don Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
There is No Instruction Manual That Comes with GarageBand. right now I cant delete any of the things I was trying out and I cant send to itunes
JayZee
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of JayZee
Not only do I use garage band, but I use Soundtrack pro & now getting into Logic.. I can help with a few things .. I do this as a side job, and have made a lot of music including mixing 2 and 3 songs to create one effect like for a snowstorm routine, or thrilling suspense routine.. all with sound effects panning etc..
I usually get a video of the artists act, and then design the music to fir exactly to what they are doing..
I did a really cool effect for an act that used Sean Bogunia's PTS and watching a video of the act I matched al sound effects, Slaps, Hits, Boings & Gunshots.

I have designed music for many pro's & added pro voice overs and intros right on the same track..

Surround sound is also possible if you are in the appropriate theatre.
feel free to ask me any questions and check out my website. at: http://www.NGVproductions.com

--Jay
www.NGVproductions.com
"Isn't it time to bring your ideas to life?"
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of paw
Try this
http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html

It works great!! It was recommended by apple.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I use garage band...
Dare to Dream...
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1066 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I love garage band.

Just open it up and try it, or get some help at the Apple Store...or watch some online instructional videos.

Once you get the hang of it, you will find it extremely easy to mix tracks.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I already Tryed Getting Help and None at the Apple Store. What I am Mainly Trying to do is Make the Music on the GarageBand Loops I'm trying to Shorten some Music. any Suggestions also How does one Use the Scissors on GarageBand ?
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
177 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I'v been mixinmg a long time ago, if your planing to do a live mix than "chrusa" has said evething about this. but if you r planing to prepare your mix before, you can use a multiracker software like fruity loops but since you are using MAC there is no fruity loops for mac but you can use logic software, you can make your own music & your own beat with it you can also use Tracktor it's good for live mixing it has a lot featur in it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » How to Mix Music any Advice on the Mac (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL