The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My version called "Sefalaljia Revisited," from The Wizards' Journal #10 on my site, does not need to be operated sitting at a table, and you could even perform parts of it on the street (there's a suggested routine for that kind of work included). The box doesn't need to be anything special; I use a Dollar Store plastic crate, but you could also use a cardboard box, or even a two fold or three fold screen. When tablehopping, you could stand up a folding menu and use that (of course you wouldn't be able to to all the various effects possible with the plastic crate).

Sefalaljia is more than just a few rope tricks. It's a haunted box and you incorporate many other types of items for the "spirit to play with."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Philp
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Philp
If you turn to pages 89-93 of Annemann's PME you will find Stewart James Sefalaljia.

I would recommend Dean's Box to anybody wanting a really classy prop for this effect. Certainly the Rolls Royce version in my humble opinion.

Regards,

Philip
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Sefalaljia first appeared in The Jinx #69 (Dec 2 1939).

Annemann called it a "one man miniature spirit cabinet".

In the original the effects in order of appearance were:

Ball in Glass
Knotted Handkerchief
Ring on Tape
Smoked Cigar
Drinking The Milk
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Philp
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Philp
I would not recommend th Smoked Cigar effect (lol)
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I would be very surprised if you could use the Sefalajia method (with safety pin) with Dean's Box - it's too short. James' box was about 14" long and I find that only just long enough. I prefer to do it with two rings rather than the safety pin (the method is in the encylopaedia) plus an idea from Spellbinder's manuscript about the hook. This allows the dirty work to be done quite quickly.
Jolyon Jenkins
Mike Carroll
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Mike Carroll
Thanks for reminding me about "Sefalaljia Revisited," Spellbinder. Time to dust it (or her) off and have some fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL