The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Anniversary ring appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I have been asked to make a ring appear for a 27th anniversary. Any ideas as to how? Also any good ideas on patter. This is for my future in-laws so I want it to be good, without stealing the thunder from the happy couple.

Thanks

Adam
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
All I can do is give your creative thinking a boost.

First of all, I need to know where you are going to be doing this. There are things that work at a party at home that won't work in a restaurant. For example, you could produce a dove, and the ring could be tied to its leg with a ribbon. The dove production method would be up to you. You should not produce a dove in a restaurant -- health laws, etc.

You could have it in a small plastic bag, and have it served to them in their soup.

Anything that you can use to produce a coin would work for a ring.

Patter -- "Here is something special for a couple who are very special to me."

Keep it simple.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I've made rings appear on many occasions. Actually I've made ring boxes appear. I always produce the box and then give it to the person so they can present the ring themselves, this instantly puts the attention on the couple. As to the hows, I always just use a very simple flash paper production which has both their signatures on it.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Make it appear with flash paper,
do a false transfer, make it disappear, and then snort it out your nose
and hand it to the lovely lady.

take a bow.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get a nice classy bit of wire (I use a telescoping pen) and put a hook-like end on it. That is so that if you have a ring palmed and ON THE WIRE in your hand, if you let it slide down the wire it will stop at the end and not fall to the ground, thanks to the hook at the end.

Clear?

OK, now you have the ring palmed and have a little bundle of flash paper wadded up. You bring out the wire, slip the end into hand and thru ring.

Now, put the flash paper in the hook. when it is lit, you drop your hand a bit, and while the flame is distracting, let the ring slide down to the hook.

I looks like the ring just magically appeared out of the flame.

Try this several times to get the timing right. I have used this for years and it never fails to get gasps.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2008-12-30 12:34, Frank Starsini wrote:
Make it appear with flash paper,
do a false transfer, make it disappear, and then snort it out your nose
and hand it to the lovely lady.

take a bow.

I really LOL'ed.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
This will be at a restaurant of sorts, its called chefs kitchen, they basically have a live cooking show and are served, what they are making, you walk out with recipes for what you just saw cooked so you can make it at home. I would like to do this before dinner. They know I'm a magician and have already heard stories of me making rings appear for other couples using the cups and balls which they have also already seen. So I need something different. I have been thinking of borrowing one of her current rings doing the old gag where you pretned to throw it across the roome but say its just a nickle that get thrown across the room, only when I go to show that her ring is fine I'm still holding the nickle, ha ha very funny. Then I allow her husband to replace it with her new one and I then porduce her old ring from an ipossible location. This is just the start of an idea because I feel it doesn't have a good flow to it but I would like to maintain some humor to throw her of the scent so to speak.

Thanks again Guys,

Adam
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You don't need anything with "a good flow" to it. You need to produce the ring and then get out of the way.

If you do ring flight, you could borrow her present ring and have the new one appear in the key case, along with the other one. Just load the new ring on one of the other key hooks, being careful, of course, not to have the rings bash against one another.

In this case, the production of the ring is not about YOU. It's about the ring and the anniversary.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Bill's right: it's about the ring, the anniversay, and HER! Another idea: you might use a PATEO force with several items and "ring in" that ring. Tell her that you'd like to try an experiment with her, and then show her an envelope containing a 'prediction'. Mention that if this works, there is an incredible prize in it for them. Have the ring be the force item, of course, and at the end, when the ring is chosen, she turns the envelope over to see that the ring was what you predicted...but that's not what's in the envelope. She opens it, and the note says, "Happy Anniversary; the ring is your's", or something like that...

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Scott Hollingsworth has probably produced more rings at restaurants than anyone else in Houston, if not on the planet. He has been the manager and head magician at Magic Island for a very long time, and has a history of restaurant magic work that goes back a good 50 years.

He produces the ring in the simplest way possible. The man gives him the ring when the couple is seated or shortly afterwards. On cue, Scott comes over and asks if the couple would like to see some special magic. He then produces the ring, gives it to the man to give to the lady, and gets out of the way.

The method of production can be ANYTHING you want it to be. If you want it to be complicated, go ahead, but a simple coin production, shuttle pass, change to ring will usually suffice.

I would caution against using flame or flash paper because local ordinances may prohibit it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I agree I need to get out of the way, but I don't think that I should just do one trick ( the ring production) and then step aside. I also do want it to be smooth.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It depends on the point during the evening when you do it. If this was a man who was going to propose to the lady, I would disagree completely. There is other magic afoot. But since these people have been married for 27 years, perhaps doing one piece for them, and then producing the ring would be the way to go.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Anniversary ring appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL