The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professional magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Hey this is a pretty dumb question but what would it take to call your self a professional magician?
ArthurZep
View Profile
New user
Riga,Latvia
13 Posts

Profile of ArthurZep
I guess you can call your self a professional magician if you earn your self a living (hope I used the expression right Smile ) by magic. ( when it your profession.)
My 2 cents Smile
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
I'd say it's a mindset and not necessarily how much you're paid. It costs you nothing to put the line "Professional Magician" on your business card, but then you need to back up the words with action, right? However, I think there are certain advantages to getting in the mindset of "professional" rather than "hobbyist".

(Not tax advice, so talk to your lawyer and all those folks >>>) It's my understanding that you can deduct expenses (at least here in the USA) as a business, if you treat your hobby as a business. Print up professional business cards. Actually do shows for cash. Go to magic conventions for education. That sort of thing.

You can do the same sort of thing but treat it "as a hobby". The requirements are much less strict, but you can deduct stuff, but less than if you were running a business. One big requirement for a "business" is the IRS actually expects you to show a profit one day. (Go figure.)

I have a sideline game-design, art-design 'professional' business, which doesn't get a lot of action, but I get steady work. I treat it as a business for the extra tax-related perks, like deducting the costs of going to game conventions.

If you're serious about it, talk to your local tax expert who can show you the ropes.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professional

Tradition says that if you charge any substantial amount of money, you are a professional.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
When the people you are performing for stop asking what it is you really do for a living.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
One measure that some folks use is this:

An amateur magician does different tricks for the same people all the time (because he never gets different audiences).

A professional magician does the same tricks for different people all the time (and therefore has polished those few effects to perfection).

And this isn't just a play on words. Professionals, whether they charge money or not, have lots of experience in performing before lots of people. You can't buy that kind of knowledge, you have to learn it and earn it yourself. And it's that experience, the ability to be smooth and graceful, to be at ease with and to connect with your audience, and to do it regardless of what might go wrong, that separates the amateur from the professional.

As somebody else once said, "Anyone can do what I do, it just takes a few years of practice." So start practicing! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Thanks guys it helped a lot
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
Bill Palmer has a very well thought answer to this in the Wizard's Cave area at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&3
Professor Myst
Engineer, Inventor, Writer, Teacher, Wizard
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
My dad said that it is when you get paid because he played his guitar on the street and earned money so he says he is a professional musician. He said that it applied to magic as well.

E.B. Nicholson
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
SOme say you are a professional when you realize that all you will ever need has existed in the Tarbell books, but by then it is usually too late...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I disagree with your father. Busking is not "getting paid".
kcmagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of kcmagic
Personally, I've always thought to myself...if you make MOST of your money from amgic, you pro. If you make a decent chunk from magic, your semi-pro, and if you make a little on the side, you amature.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 14:40, JackScratch wrote:

It is if I'm doing it, mate...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 20:15, S_Myst wrote:
Bill Palmer has a very well thought answer to this in the Wizard's Cave area at:

Loved Bill Palmer's thoughts about this (as usual.)
hendoo
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of hendoo
Quote:

This from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paid
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 17:13, hendoo wrote:
Quote:

This from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paid

Quote:
pay [pey]
verb, paid or (Obsolete except for defs. 12, 24c ) payed; pay⋅ing; noun, adjective
–verb (used with object)

1. to settle (a debt, obligation, etc.), as by transferring money or goods, or by doing something: Please pay your bill......

.....11. to suffer in retribution; undergo: "You'll pay the penalty for your stubbornness!"

Not exactly what I look for in a performance, but... Sure! Why the heck not?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 00:25, DanielCoyne wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 20:15, S_Myst wrote:

Loved Bill Palmer's thoughts about this (as usual.)

Same here. I agree with Bill Palmer's thoughts too.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
When you can successfully earn enough money to pay for your food, bills and clothing through magic for an extended period of time. You learn a lot about magic when whether you get to eat that week depends on it.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 00:01, mmreed wrote:
SOme say you are a professional when you realize that all you will ever need has existed in the Tarbell books, but by then it is usually too late...

Yes yes yes! Smile
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 23:19, MajikAbra wrote:
When you can successfully earn enough money to pay for your food, bills and clothing through magic for an extended period of time. You learn a lot about magic when whether you get to eat that week depends on it.

Eddie

That isn't Professional, that's "Full Time". It is quite possible to be a professional "Part Time" magician. I know because I am one. I am no less of a professional magician than the ones that make their full wage from it, in many cases, I am more professional than them. In the end, I can't imagine why people put as much stress into this subject as they do. In the end, who cares what title someone else gives you. Do the best you can, and quit worrying about these things. The big event planners in this town consider me a professional, what could make you more of a professional than the piers in the industry considering you one?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professional magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL