The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Stone's "Never 2 without 4" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Does anyone know how to do David Stone's "hand-washing" technique found in the performance of his routine in "Never 2 Without 4" in Basic Coin Magic, Volume 1 by David Stone? He basically appears to show both hands empty in a hand "washing" motion.

He does not explain it in the explanation, and he does not seem to be doing a Kaps Subtlety. I really have no idea what is happening here...anyone who has the DVD, I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks
xaboom
View Profile
New user
Biarritz France
69 Posts

Profile of xaboom
Strange, I learned the "hand-washing" with this set when it was a VHS. Check the other routines (maybe the other volume). I'm sure it's thoroughly explained somewhere.
Great set, by the way.
Michel
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
It's on the second coin magic DVD.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Check with Feher here on the Café about the handwashing, he uses it pretty effectively in his routines. Stone is a unique performer and does this quite flawlessly. If you watch his One Coin Routine on youtube, you'll see him use it there as well and it is beautiful as it occurs within the flow of this exceptional routine.

And there are others here like Eric that use variations of the handwashing move, I use it myself sometimes. Sometimes it can even be over-used resulting in over-proving that your hands are empty. It really should exist as Stone, Eric, etc use it as a momentary gesture within a sequence.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-01 14:48, Mb217 wrote:
Check with Feher here on the Café about the handwashing, he uses it pretty effectively in his routines. Stone is a unique performer and does this quite flawlessly. If you watch his One Coin Routine on youtube, you'll see him use it there as well and it is beautiful as it occurs within the flow of this exceptional routine.

And there are others here like Eric that use variations of the handwashing move, I use it myself sometimes. Sometimes it can even be over-used resulting in over-proving that your hands are empty. It really should exist as Stone, Eric, etc use it as a momentary gesture within a sequence.

I PM'd Feher, but is there anyone here who owns the dvd who knows exactly what david stone is doing in this case?
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
On the DVD where he explains this routine, he does not explain the wipe clean that he uses.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-01 18:11, coinguy wrote:
On the DVD where he explains this routine, he does not explain the wipe clean that he uses.

yeah I know..
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

If someone who owns this dvd and has either mastered this rountine or knows exactly what stone is doing in his handwashing technique while his hands are dirty, could post a video explaining it, it would greatly be appreciated!
xaboom
View Profile
New user
Biarritz France
69 Posts

Profile of xaboom
I found it!
The explanation is on volume2 for the 6th routine called "la flambe" in french.
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Its the Michael Ammar`s Wiped Clean I think???
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Without having to buy a whole volume, could someone help me with this handwashing technique that he uses?
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Heh, was looking on the back of the David Stone, Volume 1 Basic coin magic the other day. What is david stone doing with that gun? Is that a gun? :0
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 21:03, Pablo_Amira wrote:
Its the Michael Ammar`s Wiped Clean I think???

You are correct. It is in the Magic Of Michael Ammar book as well as his older coin video.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
On a similar note, does anyone know about the new Mike Smith "Hand Wash Utility Technique" dvd at hocus pocus?
Kalle_Moen
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Kalle_Moen
When I first learned this hand wash by david stone him self at a workshop back in 2007, I used it tall the time... I used it for every coin trick I did almost... because I thought it was so deceptive, but when I got one of my first mentors (Aksel Olsen) he said to me that a hand wash is not good at all, because what you are saying to the audience is ´´i have nothing in my hands´´ but spectators question every thing you are saying, so if you actually did´t have anything in you hands, then you would just have showed them the hands fully and openly.
So after a while I stopped doing that... because I understood that I should´t do it.
Now when I got my second mentor he said to me what I should do instead.

-K
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I was fond of it as well and use to do it all the time. Then I started realizing that no one would really think the coin is gone, but that you are very good in hiding a coin in your hand.

Learn the spider vanish, it is a far more effective way to show apparently two empty hands.
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
I think with anything, the 'hand washing technique' should be done in moderation.

In david stone's one coin routine, after the first vanish you can show both hands empty and then make the coin re-appear. from this moment of emptyness you kind of set yourself up for the rest of the routine vanishes, reproductions, dirty hands etc. I'll explain this futher...

you show your audience very easily that you CAN completely vanish and reappear the coin. I must admit I have tried this routine quite a few times and I love it, I've tried it both with and without the 'hand wash'. with the 'hand wash' there was a less likely chance of the spec commenting on my 'other hand' and therefore less heckling throughout the routine.

on this note I have seen other performers use this utility way too much in their coin work and it can look quite too obvious and overdone. but in moderation it can be a great utility in your coin arsenal.

I also beleive that 'the other hand' excuse should be eliminated from coin work. in and ideal world it can be i.e. retention vanish, show hand empty, then show other hand empty, then bring back coin. like somebody has already commented if you could really vanish a coin you would show both hands empty and that is what you are doing with this utility.

there are a varety of ways of achieving the same result though and to list a couple (some can be found on d. stones second coin dvd), the hand wash (ammar and others), sleeving, the torres move (love this move(i have practiced a million time to perfect, and still need to practice))

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Anyone mind showing me how david stone does it? Since I can't figure it out.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 13:15, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
Anyone mind showing me how david stone does it? Since I can't figure it out.

Seriously, if it's that important to you, you owe it to yourself [and David Stone] to buy the DVD.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I read the description of Wiped Clean in The Magic of Michael Ammar and thought (like other contributors in this thread) that the move would look like an artificial and unnatural way to show our hands empty.

But if it was good enough for Michael I might as well give it a chance. Now I have played with the moves for some months. My private conclusion is:
I will not use it to proove my hands empty after a vanish. But I have planned to use it before a production.

In a situation where nobody has a reason to suspect me of concealing anything it could be a natural way of preparing my hands for something difficult to happen. Not showing my hands empty but just wiping my hands to soften them a little before the difficult things starts. I will look at the audience and talk to them without thinking too much of my hands and they will notice they get a look at the front and the back of both hands.

That is a strategy I like. Don't mention the obvious.
Trolle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Stone's "Never 2 without 4" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL