The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At Long Last...The Platinum Edition! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Happy New Year!

You have no idea how excited I am!

A year and a half in the making. A decade and a half in the creation.
The Thing Platinum Edition will be available worldwide from dealers as early as the middle of next week.
Here is the NEW video demo with all of the features and below is everything that's included.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3u_lwYONc

The reputation-making one-man levitation that can be performed ANYWHERE...just got better!
Perform it in a living room, on a large theater stage, or in broad daylight on the street. The Thing can float in any performing situation with your audience viewing from any angle. No matter how close the spectators are, whether they're behind, on top or underneath you, they will not see how this THING works! Practical, one-man levitations are few and far between. After a decade and a half of research and development in front of real audiences, Bill is re-releasing the routine Genii magazine has called, "The most practical, portable, self-contained, angle proof levitation effect ever."

You show a box made of clear plastic completely empty. The box lid is opened and an empty cloth handkerchief is draped over the open box. Mysteriously a form rises slowly up from out of the box under the cloth continuing up until it is hovering suspended in mid-air. The audience can have a clear view of the levitation from any angle and can see is no support of any kind. You then lift a corner of the cloth up and over the levitating object only to have it suddenly disappear leaving the cloth hanging empty in your fingers!

By draping the cloth over the invisible object it slowly makes its reappearance in an unbelievably magical fashion. The object can then float up and out of your fingers, shoot on a horizontal plane away from you or out above the heads of the audience. Finally you push the cloth-covered object back down into the box, dramatically close the lid and bow to thunderous applause!

Points to consider:

No threads
No magnets
No assistants
No reset, perform it over and over again without any lighting or staging considerations to worry about.
The Thing Platinum Edition Package Includes:

Hand-Made Gimmicked and Ungimmicked Cloths - The new Platinum Edition Thing gimmick is hand-sewn, assembled and each one is personally inspected by creator Bill Abbott. The new light weight components and imported microfibre material make performing this mind-blowing levitation almost effortless and completely deceptive.

Solid Clear View Box - The solid clear view box is made of a lightweight, non-glare, high impact clear lucite and metal framing, manufactured for a lifetime of use.

The Pocket Thing - Bill Abbott has included a second portable box and an all-new handling so you'll be armed with everything you need to perform this angle-proof levitation directly under the noses of your audiences. The new handling enables you to place an clear foldable acrylic box on the open palm of a spectator and have the Thing rise up literally inches from the assisting volunteer. Walk-around at a party, table to table at a restaurant or out in the open on the street, The Pocket Thing is ready for any environment.

The Poster - Included with The Thing Platinum Edition is a glossy double-sided poster with the main routine in photographic sequence on one side taking you step-by-step through the entire performance and on the flip-side is The Pocket Thing handling. Just adhere it to a wall or your practice mirror and begin.

Music Themes On CD - The Thing Platinum Edition package features a compact disc with 14 music themes, so you can choose the right vibe for your show. Each theme has been carefully constructed and composed specifically for The Thing and is royalty-free so you can use it in any public or private space, on the web and on T.V.

Instructional DVD Includes:

Intensive Routine Training - Bill Abbott conducts an intensive training session unlike any other, to accomplish one goal - for you to perfect the routine! Whether you perform The Thing on stage or up close, the training sequences have been designed to straighten the learning curve so you can perform the world's most practical levitation with confidence and to perfection.

The Wildbaum Sessions - Cirque Du Soleil artist Paul Wildbaum takes The Thing in new directions in studio sessions that cover the illusion of emptiness, body isolation, point fix, resistance, breathing, stage movement, character development and motivation. The Wildbaum Sessions will provide you with the tools you need to take your routine to the next level.

The Conversation - Sit down with the creator Bill Abbott and Paul Wildbaum for an in-depth examination of how The Thing came to be and the history of it's development. Also revealed are the reasons for the new Platinum Edition, why simple is not always easy, originality, personality, live performance, improvisation, imitation and repetition, natural acting, character, back story, inner monologue, emotional segues and the real secrets of how to connect with any audience.

The Workshop Notes - Included on the DVD are Bill Abbott's Workshop Notes that were previously only available to those who attended Bill's exclusive Thing Workshop. The Workshop Notes PDF can be easily accessed by inserting the DVD into any computer (PC or MAC) and opening the DVD-ROM contents from the disc.

DVD Running Time Approximately 120 min
CD Running Time Approximately 35 min

Price $200
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1584 Posts

Profile of Markymark
And now the questions that you love Bill!!

I have the upgrade dvd with music so...can I purchase the new gimmick on it's own?

And..anything new in the pipeline for '09?
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Markymark,

Happy New Year!
The gimmick is not available separately.
And there is LOTS of news for '09!
Nothing I can talk about yet...but there are some big surprises coming.

Sincerely,

Bill
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1584 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank's Bill.Happy new year to you and Chico.
I'll buy the 'Thing' again....it's worth it!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
So...is this basically The Thing with a little clear folding box to use for walk around?
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
No. It's a lot more.
It's an all new DVD with the features listed in the ad copy, new music themes, new poster, lighter weight gimmick, master instructional sequences from Cirque du Soleil performer Paul Wildbaum, a half hour conversation with yours truly and Paul Wildbaum where we discuss originality, personality, live performance, improvisation, imitation and repetition, natural acting, character, back story, inner monologue and emotional segues. As well as a PDF of the Workshop Notes that were only available at my workshops.

As mentioned above this took a year and half to create, compose and shoot.

Cheers
Bill
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Is it available in just the upgrade form for those of us whom already own the original?

Steve
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Steve,

Happy New Year!
In answer to your question:
Absolutely. Here's the Murphy's link with all the info:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=44436

Any dealer can get it from Murphy's.

Sincerely,
Bill
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Bill,

Quick question- For walkaround gigs, it looks like the new box is foldable (which is sweeeeet). Am I correct in guessing that anything else needed (cloth, magic ghost being, etc.) will also fit in the pocket?

~jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
For those of us that already own the original Thing and the DVD upgrade, what does this set offer?

Thanks

Chris
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Is this soundtrack composed by Russ Cirelli by any chance?
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2460 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Is there a warranty?

better question below....... Smile

what if you let it out of the box and it flies away??
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Thanks for the all the great comments on the new video of The Thing Platinum Edition. Here are the answers to your questions...

“For walkaround gigs, it looks like the new box is foldable (which is sweeeeet). Am I correct in guessing that anything else needed (cloth, magic ghost being, etc.) will also fit in the pocket?”

Jamie, the only pre-requisite to The Pocket Thing is that you’re wearing a jacket of some kind. It actually takes up less pocket space than you would imagine because the gimmicked cloth doesn’t actually go into “a pocket” per se. I can’t divulge too more much without exposing.

“For those of us that already own the original Thing and the DVD upgrade, what does this set offer?”

Chris, if you check out the Thing Platinum Upgrade: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=44436
it runs down all of the features for you. Also here is a recent review comparing both the original DVD with the new Upgrade:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&5

Sincerely,
Bill Abbott
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9166 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Salby quotes [Please note that there is NO Upgrade to the gimmick or cloth with the Platinum Kit. The new DVD & other added features (more music themes, new folded clear plastic box, etc.) are the items upgraded....]

Bill Abbot quotes [Hand-Made Gimmicked and Ungimmicked Cloths - The new Platinum Edition Thing gimmick is hand-sewn, assembled and each one is personally inspected by creator Bill Abbott. The new light weight components and imported microfibre material make performing this mind-blowing levitation almost effortless and completely deceptive.]

This sounded like an up-grade to me, from Bill. Is it or is'nt it?

Either way it is an amazing looking effect.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Hi Bill,
This looks great. A much improved version of the old dinner roll, fork and napkin trick. If it was not for Paul Harris and his TA set I would get this now. But it is on my list of future things to get.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I own the original and the upgrade DVD.

Is there a significant difference in the new gimmick?

I have to admit that it is a bit heavy but my hand got stronger with more performances.

Since I get a lot of use, I do not mind upgrading to the new gimmick if it is significantly better. My current original is still in good shape.

Thanks for the help.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2977 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 20:22, Tophie wrote:
I own the original and the upgrade DVD.

Is there a significant difference in the new gimmick?

I have to admit that it is a bit heavy but my hand got stronger with more performances.

Since I get a lot of use, I do not mind upgrading to the new gimmick if it is significantly better. My current original is still in good shape.

Thanks for the help.

I'm in the same boat. Have the original "Thing" and bought the Upgrade. I too would be interested in the new prop. Is it that much better Bill?
Thanks,
Dave
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Here are the answers to some new questions and some questions I missed (sorry!)

bryanlonden,

The soundtrack is composed by myself. The music tracks on both of the demo videos are themes from the royalty-free music I created that appears on the CD that comes with both the Upgrade and the full Platinum Edition package.

magicmind,

If your Thing flies away, I will replace it. No questions asked. Except I may alert the court appointed psychiatrist.

Thales,

Who is this Paul Harris?

davidpaul$ & Tophie,

The same question came up in another thread, great minds think alike!
The new Platinum Edition gimmick cloth was built from the ground up with a microfibre material actually created and dyed just for the Thing! The gimmick itself uses a lighter weight material and is subsequently easier to manipulate. I would recommend that if you are comfortable, content and getting the results you want from the gimmick you have, that you do not need the full package with the new gimmick. Everything that is taught and explained on the Platinum Upgrade can be performed with the original gimmick no problem. My intention with the Upgrade was to give the purchasers of the original Thing to have the option of purchasing all of the new information without having to purchase the entire unit again.

Sincerely,

Bill Abbott
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2977 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
So in order to obtain the "new" gimmick to those of us who originally purchased
"The Thing" as well as the "upgrade" we must purchase the Platinum Edition Package
for $200.00 I'll take 2 Smile
DP
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
DP,

If you need to.

Bill Abbott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At Long Last...The Platinum Edition! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL