The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Physician wants patients to not cry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
Hello, I am a physician who dabbles in magic as a way to entertain my children patients so their experience in my office is not so traumatic. I have had great luck with the D'lite and the Mr. Bubble tricks and want to know if anyone out there knows of a quick but visually impressive trick to help children take their minds off of their vaccinations. Thanks in advance.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Use a palmed squeaker to "squeak" the patient when you touch him or her.

Give the patient a coin to hold when administering the shot—bent coin in patient's hand.

0pus
Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
I've tried the squeaker with excellent success but I haven't used the bent coin yet. Sounds good!
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Sounds like a fantastic idea, I bet the children look forward to coming to see you. Do you do balloon modeling? If so, make a balloon animal, then squeeze it with the squeaker palmed, making it squeak, and then give it to the child to try and make it squeak taking their minds off of their vaccinations.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
how about a paddle routine with one of those sticks that you stick in people's mouths to check throats or the old idea of palming a plastic frog ala a frog in your throat?
Phillip
Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
Billy, thanks for the compliment. I recently did the Mr. Bubble trick on a boy with appendicitis while he was waiting to see the surgeon, and his mother later told me he couldn't stop talking about it during his recovery. Unfortunately we physicians tend to discourage younger children and balloons because of the few fatal cases where kids have choked on a popped balloon.
Phillip's "frog from the throat" sounds great!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Hi Aristides, I worked four years in a hospital in children's day treatment as a therapist and have seen plenty of kids go ballistic when it came time for a blood draw. I would do paper balls over the head to distract them.

One of the psychiatrists on the unit would do coin through rubber sheet (known by various names, coin-thru, etc.). He would set it up by cutting a latex glove into a square. What with the demise of latex in the medical offices due to some allergic reactions the gloves are no longer found in most medical offices, however you have to admit it is a very visual trick. It is also not done much anymore which would take away the "I've seen that before" factor. If you feel the risk of allergic reaction is low for a particular patient, get some dental dams and go for it.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
A TT is good for appearing and vanishing a silk. I have heard of magicians using it in a hospital setting to appear and then vanish a silk within the sheets of the hospital bed.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
Part of my "Giving back to the Community", I perform at our local children's hospital a couple of times a month and I have found that the Magic Coloring Book is a great effect for grabbing their attention and taking their minds off of what is going on. I also use the D'lites, paddle trick, spongeballs and sponge bunnies. You might want to get the "Puff the Magic Dragon" sponge effect.

Magically yours,

Carter Smile
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Some great suggestions, I like the ballooon model and a squeaker idea best, mainly because it gives you some thing to give them as a reward. Plus next time it will be even easier as they know they'll get a balloon if they're good.

You could tell them the Balloon Animal is hurt and get them to put a sticky plaster on it; while they play doctor you give them the jab.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Arestides

A quick and visual effect is the coloring book like Carter mentioned in a previous post. Sounds like the kids are lucky to have you as their physician. Best of luck to you. Smile
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
One effect that I have found that kids and parents absolutely adore is Sponge Bunnies. Standard sponge ball routine with sponge bunnies. For some reason, this gets a bigger reaction then standard sponge balls. Then you let them hold the rabbits and play with them while you do your thing.
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I'll try a few out and let you all know what works best.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Looking for effects for children in hospitals. What is the Mr. Bubble effect?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Let's see ... Needle Thru Arm ... Chopper ...

Okay, okay, I'm sorry.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Hah, that should calm them down!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I do work in a hospital on a weekly basis. I do the silks and TT a lot there. I try and get the kids involved with it, though. Give them a small wand, get them to blow on the things, etcetera.

The kids really like it. Sponge balls are great too, except with the kids who are heavily sedated. They don't really catch what's going on sometimes.

D'lites have been great for me, too. (Got to watch out for the light, though. I sometimes turn the lights off and do them.)

All the best,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
I have a book to suggest: Side-FX by Scott Tokar Also has a companion DVD

Here's the URL: http://www.corporatefx.com/side-fx.htm

Hope this helps!

John
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Yup, was going to suggest SideFX as well. The entire CD is about tricks you can do with materials you would find in a doctor's office---cut-and-restored stethoscope, etc. It's really good!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
I was looking at SideFX because I Googled "cut and restored stethoscope". I'll look for more detailed reviews. The effects look like good adaptations of original effects... just with different objects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Physician wants patients to not cry (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL