The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » This Ain't About Me! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
See? I can laugh about myself. But seriously, this post isn't about me.

It's about one of the finest Sleight of Hand guys I know-- Dorian Rhodell.

The kid's got a DVD coming out. Buy it. I've know Dorian for well over a decade and his execution of the sleights on the DVD is as close to flawless as you can get. I watched one thing over 20 times and I could not see a single tell. And to be truthful-- it kinda ****es me off.

Dorian does not wing it, he doesn't just show up for work. If it's not the best it can be (notice I didn't say the best he can do) then he won't show it.

I'm telling you right now, if the CSI guys had footage, they wouldn't have a clue.
When Dorian does something, science will not help you, experience will not help you, and religion won't help you-- you ain't gonna see it.

Steven Youell
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Keep us posted on it's release, sounds interesting.
Thanks for the heads-up Steven!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
The name of the DVD is "Avenue" it's produced by the Buck Brothers. I'm sure Dorian will be by this thread soon to tell you more about it... and torture me...

SEY
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Sounds good, we'll stay tuned...
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Yeah, it looks good. I saw the trailor for it on Dan and Dave and it looks awesome. It comes out on the 6th I think.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Wow, just saw the trailer it looks great.

The clip shift dvd that they produced was great and the teaching on it was fantastic and really in depth. I hope this is of the same standard.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Word. Dorian seems like a really cool guy, and I've heard nothing but good things. I'm looking forward to seeing his thoughts on Pugh's pass among other things.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Dorian looks a lot cooler on vid than his avatar suggests, some smooth chops 2
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I didn't want youse guys to think he's ignoring this thread. He'll be here tonight. He's out making money...

SEY
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
If Dorian stops by I have a few questions.

What is on the dvd and how much will it cost?

Also I was wondering, How hard is the material on there? Im more into "classic" magic more then what Dan and dave usually releases.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***Im more into "classic" magic***

Classic as in old school? I can't seem to find my notes on the Pugh Pass but I seem to recall it as being pretty old school! I know Steven or Dorian can give some history!

If I'm not mistaken Steranko's Shadow Steal was inspired by this shift and it is in Steranko or Cards which I think was first published in 1960!?!?!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 17:41, fridoliina89 wrote:
Im more into "classic" magic more then what Dan and dave usually releases.

This is not "Flourish Monkey" kinda stuff. It combines the best of the old with the visual appeal of the new-- look at the trailers and you'll see what I mean.

SEY
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 18:04, MickeyPainless wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Steranko's Shadow Steal was inspired by this shift and it is in Steranko or Cards which I think was first published in 1960!?!?!

Houdini/Elliott Shift --> Pugh's Pass (1933) --> Shadow Steal [Steranko] (1960) --> Rooklyn Top Palm (1967?) --> Coffin Change [Kosby] (1990) --> Daniel Garcia (200x)

That's the lineage of the move as far as I know it; Sr. Rhodell may very well come in and drop some knowledge on us. It seems like a fairly simple/basic movement of a playing card when the pack is held in dealers grip, so it's not surprising that it's appeared in different forms in quite a few places.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Often times someone who knows what they're doing can take such a move and transform it in a way that just kicks your butt!

Dorian has done that with more than a few moves.

As you already said, ChrisSD: word.

SEY
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I am sooo looking forward to this!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thanks for the line up Chris, I can update what I already had written down!
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 16:55, Purist wrote:
Dorian looks a lot cooler on vid than his avatar suggests, some smooth chops 2

Ouch! Hey that hairdo was awesome when a) I had it and b) John Cusack was still Better Off Dead!

Seriously though, thanks to Steven Youell and all you guys for the very kind words.

Here's the lineage as I've come to know it. Has anyone here heard of Marvin Verblatsky? No one? Ok then the move is mine.

Ok, the real history.

George Pughe’s Pass can be found on pg. 1053 of the 1994 edition of Greater Magic (The Kaufmann & Greenberg reprint). It is described in a letter to John Northern Hilliard dated January 21, 1933, where it was described as being a one card version of the Houdini-Elliot Shift. It was originally used to control a selection to the top of the deck.

In the same year (1933), a very similar move appeared in print in a book entitled, Tricks for the Few pgs. 8-9 under the title, “Passing up the Pass”.

Steranko was the first to publish the move as more than just a control. His applications and ideas were published under the title of, “Shadow Steal” in his book, Steranko on Cards (1960).

The mechanics of this sleight are also found in “The Rooklyn Top Palm” which can be found on pg. 161 of Dai Vernon’s Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic.

Ray Kosby also independently invented the move along with others such as Oliver Macia and Daniel Garcia. Ray Kosby published “The Coffin Change” on pg. 45 of Spectacle by Stephen Minch in 1990. Oliver Macia’s independent invention is called the “Wow Control” and can be found on his DVD entitled, Control Freak. Daniel Garcia’s handling is named the “Ego Change” and can be found of The Daniel Garcia Project, Volume 1.

Fridoliina89; Go ahead and ask away. I'm a big fan of the classics as well.

Again, thanks to all for the kind words and enthusiasm.

Happy New Year,

Dorian Rhodell
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Hi Dorian,

What kind of material is on the dvd? I like to watch Dan and Daves work, but its not my style really. Will your dvd me more of a "classic" approach?

Also I was wondering what is on the dvd and how advanced is it?
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Dan and Dave seems very MR RO-BO-TI-CAL *robot voice*... seems very cynical for me.

But you mr rodell, with that great ahir do we see in your avatr, and now your slap head approch, I think this will be awseomee. When can we get more details?
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Sure thing. I'll try and answer both yours and Friidolina89's question at the same time.

Here are the contents of the DVD as typed up by Dave Buck.

"For the most part, the following effects utilize a sleight known as Pughe's Pass. Dorian uses this sleight as a color change and thoroughly explains all the mechanics behind it.

Grease Lightning v1
A visual transposition of the four aces and the four kings that goes like this: A spectator is asked which would they prefer, “Aces or Kings?” Whatever their choice, these four cards, let’s say Kings, are cleanly inserted into separate parts of the deck and left protruding. The Aces are placed face up on top. With just a snap, the Aces visually change into Kings. The protruding cards are removed and shown to be the Aces.

This is a remarkable effect that gets killer reactions.

Grease Lightning v2
This is a variation of Grease Lighting that will fool even magicians. Perhaps one of the most visual and direct effects on the DVD.

Snap Exchange
Similar in effect to Grease Lightning, however, this time the four Kings are placed face down in four different parts of a face-up deck. After the aces are placed face up on top and then suddenly change into the Kings, the whole deck is spread out to reveal the four Aces are now reversed in the deck.

Joyride
A sandwich effect utilizing a four of a kind, such as the four Jacks. Not only do the Jacks find the selection, they mysteriously transpose with each other a few times giving a new twist on this classic effect.

Recon
After a card has been selected, three random cards are removed and shown. Instantly these cards and changed into the selection...that’s right...all three cards appear identical and match the selection. Of course this could only be an illusion, so the magician casually changes them back into the three random cards.

This quick little tricks plays big and gets even bigger reactions.

Sidetracked
After four Queens are presented, the magicians asks for three selections to be made. These cards are noted and set aside. The magician, holding the Queens in his hand, instantly changes them into the three selections. The Queens are now cleanly shown to be the cards on the table (or in a spectators hand).

A.F.I.
Here is Dorian’s take on the classic Inversion effect. Any card is selected and placed back into the deck. With no apparent moves, the selection instantly turns face down. The next time the magician leaves the selection sticking out of the deck, however, instead of the card turning over, the whole deck visually turns face up right in front of the spectators eyes.

Finders Keepers
The two black Aces are produced and a card is selected and returned. One at a time, the black Aces vanish. When the Aces are reproduced, between them is the selection. The magician hands the selection back to the spectator and asks her to wave the card over the Aces. When she does, the magicians slowly spreads the two black Aces to show they have turned into the four Aces, and face down between each Ace is the mates to the selection"

I believe the DVD is $35.00. I could be mistaken though. It might actually be more like $100 billion dollars but somehow I don't think it will make the best sellers list. I know for sure it's available 01-06-09. For more information please visit http://www.dananddave.com. $0.25 cents for the first minute $9.95 every minute thereafter. Children under 17 not admitted without a parent.

Best,

Dorian (nice hair) Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » This Ain't About Me! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL