The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anyone ever used one of these countryman-type mics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
This company guarantees that their mics are as good as the countryman E6i or they'll give you your money back. Anyone ever used one of them, or know anything about this company?

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmpsm.htm
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
At that link, the mic also claims to be same mic mic as a Electrovoice RE97Tx or Point-Source Audio(CO-7).
Dan McLean Jr
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Hi Dan, thanks for chipping in here! I have to admit though, I don't know anything about the Electrovoice RE97Tx or Point-Source Audio(CO-7)... anyone used them? Are they any good?
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I tested one out and they are very prone to feedback. It drove me crazy enough that I retruned it. On the other hand I have seen people use it with an anchor unit behind them and it worked like a charm. Go figure?!
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I have one it works GREAT. I use an Audio Technica Wireless unit along with my Fender Passport and I DO NOT have any Feedback issues. I just purchased this new mic for my Christmas shows (23) and it worked perfectly every time NO Complaints.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I guess I'll just have to try it and see if it'll work for me. Jjeaton, did you have any problems when you tried to return it?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's a low output omni earset mic. they all are prone to feedback.

Experience will help you make the best of the situation (speaker placement, etc.). If you get one, also get a cardiod madonna type mic (i have a sennheiser that I love and it's cheap).

Sometimes you don't have a say in where the speakers go and thinking this mic will work on a make-shift stage is a mistake.

The madonna mics are high output and not prone to feedback. a great backup mic if not a first choice. they sound awesome. She uses them (and so does everyone else) for a reason.

That combo will be nice and cheap and work in virtually all situations.

I've used the madonna mic right in front of a pair of PA speakers (speakers behind me blasting at me) with no feedback whatsoever.

You don't get that with an omni low output mic. you just don't!

One sure way to waste a lot of money is to keep buying omni earset mics and wireless getups thinking the "next" one will be the holy grail in terms of no feedback. don't fool yourself.

Frank's advice:
Get the cheap sennheiser type uni-mic, madonna style and be safe.
Get a good deal on an earset (like this, I suppose), a descent wireless steup and you're done!

And get a handheld mic and a stand.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-06 15:55, Frank Starsini wrote:
... It's a low output omni earset mic ...
... The madonna mics are high output ...

Hello, Frank!
What do you mean by "low output" and "high output" mics?
Dan McLean Jr
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I probably don't have my jargon correct.

Is gain the better term?
Perhaps "gain before feedback" is a better term?

You can correct me (or disagree). I won't take offense.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Yeah, that's it. Relatively speaking, lavs and tiny headsets (omni-directional & uni-directional/cardioid) have poor gain-before-feedback, and full-size headsets have excellent gain-before-feedback.

For those who don't know, "gain-before-feedback" (GBF) refers to how loud things can go before the PA starts to feed back. In general terms, GBF is a term that applies to the entire PA system, and is affected by various factors, including mic selection, the relative positions of mics & speaker, volume levels, room size, temerature & humidity, and so on. In discussions about mics, however, we often talk about a mic's GBF, under the assumption that all other factors are constant. GBF isn't an exactly-quantifiable value, but relative differences are often quite clear.

So, yes, relatively speaking, all lavs and tiny headsets (omni-directional & uni-directional/cardioid) have poor gain-before-feedback, and full-size headsets have excellent gain-before-feedback.
Dan McLean Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anyone ever used one of these countryman-type mics? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL