The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Do you test jokes beforehand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex1
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Alex1
The deacon at church often tells jokes that end up flat. I know a magician practices an effect until it's perfect before he presents it. Along the same lines, do comedy-magicians test their humor beforehand as well?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3198 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Have to try them out but lets face it, not everyone can tell a joke. Im sure the deacon laughed his *** off when he heard it so had to re-tell it. But the thing is it is not always funny unless it is told right with timing etc.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Yes, work on the timing and words and delivery... but you can never really know if a line or a bit is gonna work until you try it out for an audience. For this reason, you should "cusion" your new material in between 2 solid chunks of your act, and be ready to bail and move on, just in case the bit goes south.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Some will try out their material beforehand with someone they trust and respect. Some do not.

In the past, I would occaisionally mention a new idea to a particular friend that I was working a lot with at the time. Now that I work on stage with my wife most often (except when I'm doing straight stand up comedy, then I work alone) I can ask her what she thinks.

Still though, I work out all new material in front of an audience.

Over time and with experience, you can generally get a good read on what is going to work. The audience helps you to fine tune the new lines. I find the timing, delivery and tags come from that.
georgecoolla
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of georgecoolla
I think it's important to test out everything before you use anything on stage...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Do you test jokes beforehand? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL