The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Your magic DVD collection is worthless (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I'm exaggerating here to make a point, but I would argue that the value of your magic DVD collection is worth much less today that it was just 6 weeks ago. With at least two major video producers selling their videos for essentially half price during the past month (buy one, get one free), the cost of a new magic DVD is about $17.50. The secondary market here at the Café, flooded with new DVD's, is now around $12-15 per disc (generally speaking). And you are lucky to get $5 for your old magic VHS tapes. Do you think used DVD's are headed to the same sub-$10 range as VHS tapes, or is this just a temporary reflection of the broader economy?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I think $10 is standard rate now as you said above. Selling VHS for $5 is rough though cause after paypal fees you still have mailing cost over $2 .
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
To my mind, the value of a magic DVD is not its retail price, but the information on it.

Using that criteria, there are some extremely valuable DVD's (Levent's "Miser's Dream" set, Michel's "Invisible Hand" set, Don Driver's "Svengali Pitch" DVD, Ammar's "Complete Cups & Balls" set, Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD, R. Paul Wilson's "Royal Road to Card Magic" set and David Roths's "Expert Coin Magic" set are just a few examples).

There are also plenty of crummy one-trick pony DVD's out there that probably never should have been released in the first place, and which will never be worth anyone's time or money. All that flotsam and jetsam may also be dragging down the market for the decent stuff. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth.
I'm honored to be included in that list.

Have a good one,
Don
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Seth, great point and very true. But a couple of the ones you listed still sold for far less than what they were worth with great material on them.Its a crazy time and definitely a buyers market.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Seth, I agree with you, although my original post related to market prices (an objective standard), not intrinsic values (a subjective standard). Personally, I'm amazed when I think about how kids today pay as much for a one-trick video as I did years ago for videotapes that contained a lifetime of creations from master magicians like Charlie Miller or John Carney or Johnny Paul. It's really amazing how topsy-turvy it's all become.

But my main point is that I don't remember ever seeing video producers selling their videos at such deep discounts for such extended periods of time. It makes me wonder if this is the canary in the coal mine, that we might see a serious shake-up of magic dealers over the next year as this recession deepens.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
It's called, "grabbing all the cash you can". The interrest from common folks who helped increase the sales of DVD's has slown down. The interrest created by DB and CA is starting to die down. Not too many common folks forking over cash to find out, "How'd he do it?" anymore. I believe that the craze is dying down back to normal. The market has been over flooded with stuff from magicians and creator's, which is why most of it out there is junk. Some creator's are creating effects just for the purpose of selling it to it's targeted audience,(hobbyist, dabblers). I can remember the days when there was no distinction between a magician and creator, they were both the same. A good magician created his own routines and effects so he would have an original act. Rarely would a magician ever give or sell his creations away. And, if they did, it was usually because they had performed it for many years and were now willing to share it within the magic community, not in the open market. Now-a-days, everyone wants to be a creator. Most of the stuff they create are not even fully tested, they're simply created as a cash cow. I won't mention names but even some of the more popular magicians of our times have gone this route. The same goes for a lot of the gimmicks out there. Most of them are marketed with a lot of hype. "The next big thing", "The best device on the market today". They are sooo good that some of them come out with improved models. If they're sooo good, why do they keep improving it? Smile

I don't like seeing effects dropping in price, but obviously they're not doing well in sales or they wouldn't be dropping the prices. Is it because of the economy? Maybe, but I believe it's because most performing magicians don't purchase as many dvd's as the hobbyist, curious, and dabblers once did.

Will this hurt the creator's? Only the ones who rely on creating tricks and effects for public sale. Not the ones who perform for a living.

Just my thoughts.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I agree with you Dan. There's been so much junk that has come out in the recent couple of years that it's mind boggling. 2008 has been the year that I've bought the LEAST amount of magic items and most of the items I've purchased in 2008 has been older effects and/or books. Thank goodness things are slowing down a bit though. One of my theories on the market slowing down a tad is that the generation during the initial David Blaine craze has grown and matured and thus become wise to the influx of armchair magic products.

On another note, I did notice that the economy has definitely had an impact on magician bookings and entertainment bookings in general. Companies this holiday season has opted to stick more with liquor and catering as their main priorities.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Merenkov, I grew up learning magic from books, because in the 60's, that's really all there was. There were some great books (Tarbell, Modern Magic Manual, Greater Magic, Modern Magic, Classic Secrets of Magic, etc.) and some lousy books (which shall remain nameless). When I got back into magic in the 90's after a hiatus of few years, I was amazed to find that you could now buy DVD's. At that time there were some very good DVD's and some very bad DVD's, just as there are now (it just seems like there are more bad ones now!)

DVD's helped me master things I could never learn properly from books: the Cups & Balls, the Double Lift, the Shuttle Pass and more. I still think books are best for history, routines and theory, while DVD's are great for sleights and moves. But there will always be good and bad material available. Hopefully the bad stuff will not chase out the good. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
But Seth, if you think about it, there's really nothing that can beat let's say, learning how to handle cards as well as sleights, than Card College! Smile Think about that, it's good to have visual reference but when you come across a very well written book (as well as illustrated), there's really not much that can beat it.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I don't think the bad will chase out the good, but I think people are wisening up and realizing that most of the stuff being put out today is nothing more than cash grabs. I'm also tired of buying something to only find out it doesn't live up to it's advertising. In any other market a consumer would take the product back for a refund. However, the rule of thumb when it comes to magic effects is that we are not paying for the effect but for the secret. Therefore, once we buy, we are stuck with the product. However, magic products are not above the consumer laws, although some dealers may want you to think so.

The other thing that is becoming a problem is when people leave a negative review on a product and the response ends up being something along the lines of, "You have to be creative with it, think outside the box." I pay money for a product to work as it says it will, not to have someone turn around and make it my resonsability to make it work. It is becoming increasingly easier for consumers to be ripped off, that is why I stick now with just a very few magicians that I'll buy from. I will no longer buy from those who just call themselves creator's or magic teachers. Here's what I would like to see in DVD demo's. If the claim is that the effect can be performed on stage, conventions, trade shows, resturants, then show the effect being performed in those venues. Enough with the street performances.

Best bet for 2009...learn sleights, all kinds of sleights. Buy DVD's/ especially books that teach sleights. Once you have a good knowledge of the basics, you'll come up with your own routines and will have no need to spend $30.00 on a one trick pony.

Off Topic: Another question comes to mind. What will happen to most of the web based magic shops that jumped on the bandwagon, floating around in interspace when magic isn't the in thing anymore?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Best bet BUY REEL MAGIC Smile

koz
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I second Kozmo, Reel Magic is a great value. Keep it up dude!

My magic DVD collection will never be worthless because I never plan on selling any of it. Will be a sad day if my finances come to that..

Doug
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I third Kozmo!!!! REEL MAGIC just keeps getting better and better. It's actually mind boggling.Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I fourth Kozmo. Reel Magic was the second best magic purchase I made last year (after the Books of Wonder...but I got them at the same time!)
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
There is value in both formats, text and DVD. But if the product sits untouched on the shelf then the only potential value will be in the written form if you have a sought after first edition. The DVD is of no value if never viewed.
Northern California
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dan,

You are my hero and said everything from the bottom of my heart!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks for the compliment Steven!:)
Connman1
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Connman1
Like everything, magic DVDs depreciate in value. Over time, there are specials and deals offered by retailers and the prices come down. Second hand DVDs, while still just as good as new ones are worth even less. Like so many people have said before, your paying for the secret anyway.
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
The economy globally is in the dumps big time, blame the central banksters for dealer's having to slash prices. On the other hand if you got money it's a great time to pick up some great deals.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Your magic DVD collection is worthless (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL