The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in your street routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I'm curious what the rest of you do for your busking routine...

Are you keeping it short with a few strong effects? If so, what type of effects are you doing...coins, cards, etc?

Basically, I'm looking to get an idea of how long your routine is, what styles of effects do you use, and if you are changing it up a lot (if so, why?)...

How many hats are you turning an hour?

What is the typical size crowd you draw, and what areas are you hitting?

What are some of the crowd building techniques you use?

What/Who are your influences?
(Mine are Cellini, Kozmo, Jimmy Talksalot, Slydini.)

As I work on overhauling my own work, I wanted to get some meaningful discussion on busking going here....
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I see several views and no replies, so I'll throw in here. I'm not sure my show is representative of anything, but... I do only three things. I gather a crowd with my concertina, and I do a couple of comedy bits with that. I pull 'magic' (D'Lite) from the ears and elbows of the kids (and occasional grown-ups). I introduce my partner, Henry, and we do about 7 minutes of 'material' and a few minutes of ad-lib/interaction with the crowd. We pass the hat. Overall, about 15 minutes. I can do three or so an hour.
I typically work around, but not actually on the Riverwalk. My crowds vary from ten to forty or so. I don't work amplified (although I have the gear and am considering trying it, but it can draw negative attention from cops, and it's more luggage to schlep.)
I guess my only direct influence is Cellini, who I met (at a lecture) and who really inspired me.
Crowd building... play the concertina, stop one person to ask them a question about the concertina. (Have you ever seen one of these? Do you know what it's called?) Engage them with some funny conversation. The one person or family forms the seed of the crowd. I begin to stop others and bring them in. Once it feels like an audience, I introduce Henry.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
By the way you ask your questions, you are talking about the classic street performer type of magician. Cellini, Kozmo, etc.

For me, there a a few different kinds of street magic.

the 5 minute act / statue or robot type
the classic style / table and C&B - 40 people
the circle show / full circle around performer - 100 or more people
street theater spectacles

I am a circle show performer. My show lasts about 30 min.
I start with a bull whip getting attention.
Set up the show and talk.
Do a game with a child or a Stiff Rope with a child.
Egg Bag - around 8 min.
Thumb Tie - 6 min.
Lasso and finale - 10 min.

How long everything lasts depends on how quick I have a suitable audience to start with.

I am not a machine type magician, so doing 4 to 6 shows is taking a lot of me.

I am not a boardwalk magician. I never liked the C & B with the table kind of magician because everybody does that (except Kozmo, who has a totally different brand of magic) and THINKS that that show looks like a street performer. And, it seems that everybody needs to end with 6 oranges and a melon. So, I want different ways to create my own unique style of street magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXIv-jZQb3c
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Draw: Juggling, Balloon Dog, Sponge balls
Middle: Coins
Finale: Mentalism

I usually go 15-20 minutes with hats from $5-$50+ depending on conditions (external and internal).

The show works surrounded, but I'm more comfortable working a half circle.

I use a table & amp, but I can do a modified version out of my pockets.

My influences are Harry Anderson, Charlie Frye, Whit Haydn & Chris Capehart with invaluable advice given to me from Bobby Maverick and Kozmo.

I can only do 2 shows an hour and max out after 4-6 shows total...sometimes my voice wears out, sometimes I'm outta energy, sometimes I'm just beat up.

I'm a part-timer and have only been working this show for one season. The year before, I was working all kinds of routines looking for my groove. Before that, I was working restaurants more and only busking with balloons.

I still need an alternate finale because it's my finale that wears me out so much. I have a 2nd finale in mind...but not sure how it'll play/pay. I'll try it out this spring.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I too work with a table and use an amp and I do a half circle show that runs 20 minutes. I also do a 7 minute sidewalk show depending on foot traffic. I always open with “Red Hot Mama” but I have alternate ending for half circle shows, I close with the C&B or Linking rings. However, the middle of my show is a bit flexible. For example I perform a ring and rope routine, egg bag, Slydini’s knotty silks and Bill in lemon. Depending on the crowd I may add to or cut part of my show. Now I close my sidewalk show with the ambitious card/card to wallet.

My audience will consist of ten to say sixty people. As for hats I turn as many as time allows.
...the magic that creates Memories!
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Robert I just watched your clip and if I could I would have rated it 5 stars, exerlent.
Happy New Year
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Today >>> Coin manips, giant coin climax.
Rings (4 ring routine).
Chop Cup (Brookes) With Coconut under hat Finale.
15 minet shows (Includes gather and hatting).
Spot shared with 2 other buskers.
2 spots each per hour.
Worked for 3 hours, small crowds 15-40 sidewalk setup. Hats shared we came out with £87 each and the flu.

Ken.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Mario,
I also just watched Robert's act, great show, very entertaining and very nice crowd.
Where was this footage shot from??
Bill
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Wow! Robert, great video! It looks like an excellent show. The bullwhip is a perfect draw, it's loud AND visual. I love the fancy roping at the end. I'm working on that myself and I know how hard it is (I'm struggling with it).I do a cowboy version of my show as "Prairie Dog Dave - Cowboy Ventriloquist". The costuming is way more comfortable for the hot months here than the top hat and tails are, but I'd like to get my roping good enough to use it in the middle of my act. It makes a great finale for you though because it's so good. That big loop is really impressive! I noticed you didn't video pasing the hat. I suspect you did ok with that crowd. Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Everybody thanks for the complements. the show was in Bamberg, germany. they have a 3 day festival every year.

performing lasso's (lariats) is also called the frustrating art. but it is worth it. don't try to do the butterfly first, work on flatloops and merry go rounds.
not on the video but in the show now is the texas skip. a vertical lasso and I jump through it back and forth.

I love the lasso finale and it fits my person. I can make a smaller show or a bigger show when want.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Robert, what is the big open area in Amsterdam in the downtown area where the street performers gather and perform? I saw an escape artist there when I was there over Thanksgiving.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Are you talking about Dam Square ?
Was there about a week or so ago working in front of the Palace and (Translated) New Church.

Mr Talksalot was not in the vicinity or the Station area (Just up from there)When we were working their. Also to update, he was not in Covent Garden today !

Ken.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 23:59, mmreed wrote:
What is the typical size crowd you draw, and what areas are you hitting?

Half Circle. African American and mixed crowds. It helps enhances because they never saw a black magician before.

Quote:
What are some of the crowd building techniques you use?

Bright colored outfits and jewelry to help enhance visibility and keep "hobo" from entering their minds.

Quote:

Just to name a few in alphabetical order; Bill Palmer, Chad, Chris Capehart, Danny Hustle, Dave V, Gaddy, Gallagher, Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo and Mario Morris. If I missed anybody, let me know.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3224 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 13:12, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:

Just to name a few in alphabetical order; Bill Palmer, Chad, Chris Capehart, Danny Hustle, Dave V, Gaddy, Gallagher, Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo and Mario Morris. If I missed anybody, let me know.

Don't listen to me, man -I still need to end my show with 6 oranges and a melon! Smile
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Wha?!?!?

Gazzo still 'needs' to end that way as well! That's a solid bit man!

Don't let the chatter of forum-speak get the bogus thought into your heed that doin' the cups is a lesser performer's finale.

Da cups is da nuts Gaddo!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 11:51, Frank Starsini wrote:
Robert, what is the big open area in Amsterdam in the downtown area where the street performers gather and perform? I saw an escape artist there when I was there over Thanksgiving.

Frank

I think you mean DE DAM but there is also DE LEIDSEPLEIN (smaller venue)
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I am a little unique in that most of the year I am on the street to draw people up to my magic shop which is in the back corner of the square/mall. I build an edge using a tt, d-lites, or a ring & string. Once I get my tip, I do the rings, mouth coil in a kid's shirt, a quick rope routine and finish with the cups. I will then do the turn and start re-setting and building the next edge. I have two son's that work the shop and turn the marks when they get up there. Occasionally I use Don Driver's bally and have a drawing for a free Svengali deck - it depends on the weather and crowd size.

Other times of the year I am traveling and solo so it is more of a classic street performance.

My influences are Cellini, Don Driver and Gazzo, probably in that order. I also learn from the many seasoned performers that I meet and observe in my travels.

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I do a 45 minute circle show.

Pull
Rope routine with child

Show
Climbing trough a metal ring (Sometimes I do a linking rings routine instead)
Fire eating

Finale
Tom-Horn belt escape with chains

Here´s some pictures: http://heavenlydrunkie.blogspot.com/2008/08/arkadia.html

Alt.

Small half circle show about 20-25 minutes

Coinwork with jumbo finale
Rope (Inspired by Fiber optics)
Cups and balls

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Coin Manipulation, Dancing Wand, or Dlites to draw a group.

Miser's Dream

Thought Projector

End with Thumb Cuff Routine

About a 12 min show.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I just found two pics of a show I did this summer.

Pic #1 Draw- Knife juggling while standing on tray jack

Pic #2 Kozmo muggin' it up with Kenny the Clown...I'm in the background doing my finale (getting taped wrapped around my head).

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj193......0984.jpg

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj193......0986.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in your street routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL