The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Time Travel Premise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I'm working on a routine with a signed bill, that has a "back to the future" time travel, letter from the future, slant to it. Basically I return the borrowed item to the volunteer "after the show", but because of another time machine glitch, it arrives in the "present time," saving the day.

I was wondering if any of you folks know of any performers who use a time travel premise for a borrowed object routine? I'm certainly not looking to rip anybody off - I just want to be sure I'm not stepping on anybody's signature routine or anything.

The only other things I can think of at the moment are a postcard from the future idea (I saw the ad once in a magic magazine, but if memory serves me, it's just a straight-up word prediction), and then Lance Burton's time machine illusion with the kids and the donkey. Are there any others out there?

I hope not - I'm seeing this routine and myself being together long into the future.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1208 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I was working on a cards across routine once with a time travel theme. I was woking on Ammar's routine where two selected cards travel from one sealed envelope to another. The selected cards were a sort of proof.

I've been working on a bill to impossible location routine for my stand up show for quite some time and I rather like your Back To The Future idea, you wouldn't mind if I went my own way with it would you?
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Go ahead. I don't own the rights to time traveling. Wish I did. Good luck!
www.maniacofmagic.com

Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
If you came up with your own presentation using the time travel theme, I think it's very, very, unlikely you'd be stepping on anyone's signature routine. I also have used the time travel theme.

Darwin Ortiz's "Psychotronic Card" from his book, Cardshark fit the time travel theme perfectly. It's a part of the presentation I use for that routine. I announce that I sent the card back in time after the card is vanished.

I don't think that theme is as good with a typical presentation of Brother John Hamman's "Your Signed Card," or Alan Ackerman's 76 trick, because the "prediction" card is put out before the spectator signs it. I suppose it could be used, but then there would be two magical effects that I suspect don't fit well together, i.e. instead of supporting each other, one effect diminishes the credibility of the other. I haven't tried it though, and so I might be completely wrong about that.

As Mac_Stone already mentioned, Michael Ammar does a time-travel presentation.

Jay Sankey has a routine named, "Back in Time" where at the end of the routine, the magician and his audience are supposed to have traveled back to the time when the routine was started.

Someone gave me three decks of Bicycle cards that look aged. They've been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Just last week, I realized those are perfect for a time travel theme, i.e. the spectators card is lost, and then recovered from the distant future, where it has aged a lot.

With Google, I found The "Time and Space DVD" by Justin Miller, which has, among other things, a time travel presentation. I do not own this.

The web page for this advertisement of Wizard's Manual recommends time travel as a presentation. I do not own this either.

I'm pretty sure I've read of others routines that involve time travel.

I also found a work of fiction, The Magician’s Nephew, with a magician who performs time travel. There's an animated kids movie, "Willy McBean & His Magic Machine!" which involves Time Travel, although in the story, a professor made the time machine, so I'm not sure it's really has a magic theme.

By the way, Psychological Implications of Time Travel seems interesting. There might be presentation-related ideas there. Granted, that site is about children's stories, however, in my experience, psychological themes for children can work very well for adults, whereas the reverse is often not true.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
georgecoolla
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of georgecoolla
Wow thanks for sharing.!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Great Scott! Thanks for the resources, Bill - appreciate the tips. Looks like you've thought a bit about this idea yourself...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious ****."
www.maniacofmagic.com

Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 17:07, Bill Hallahan wrote:

Darwin Ortiz's "Psychotronic Card" from his book, Cardshark fit the time travel theme perfectly. It's a part of the presentation I use for that routine. I announce that I sent the card back in time after the card is vanished.

This is something I've been fooling around with lately. I too use a " time travel " presentation for the above routine. I really liked the idea of his routine Time & Again in the same book, but..I don't wear a jacket. So, I've taken the beginning presentation of Time & Again and used it for The Psychotronic Card. This is very strong stuff using basic sleights. One can focus on the presentation and not the sneeky stuff. To me, my presentation of this falls under the " bizzare " magick label.

I think this " time travel " premise is overlooked in the magic world. I think a lot of really good card magic gets overlooked by the " bizzarists " ( I don't consider myself one ). Cards can be very mystical objects if presented as such. Time travel is a cool idea folks.
Self concept is destiny..
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16223 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have seen effects presented as a method that will be employed in the future to do this or that. Ie “In the future there will be teleportation devices which will do things like this ....” Conjuror proceeds to predent such a concept in effect.

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 8:47am
-------------------------------
Yes predent is a word from the future meaning present the pretend in a present like wrapped up magic kindda way. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8996 Posts

Profile of funsway
Back in the 60's an MC/magician friend of mine did some magic effects between skits, but they all went wrong. The wrong chosen card was revealed, the wrong colored ball wound up under the cup, the wrong silk between the others in a 20th type effect, etc. -- all humorously done Then he announced that during the next act he would use a new time machine being developed at the University. He refered to Heinlein's "Door into Summer" novel that was popular. When he came back for the closing he anounced that he had "corrected things" -- and one by one relealed that all of the tricks had really come out correctly. i.e. all of the correct items were in place, car, ball, silk -- all as if the "mistakes" had never happened.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I use a time travel theme for a T & R Newspaper. I have a volunteer start a stopwatch as I start tearing up the newspaper. When I finish tearing it up at (say) 30 seconds I say "Stop!".
I then tell them that the stopwatch is actually a time machine, and as I have them press "Reset" I restore the paper, and announce that "we have all just traveled 30 seconds back in time..." I suppose you could use it for a borrowed bill just as readily.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The theme of "time travel" has been hacked by hacks since Wells wrote that classic "The Time Machine" and used by clever writers to manage some fun stories - say Heinlien's "All You Zombies".

Going back to about the time of Wells, a performer mentioned by Nate Leipzig in his autobiography was doing a trick that reads as right from the back to the future scripts. Here's a link: http://www.miraclefactory.net/mpt/view.p......s&id=129

and the text cited:
Quote:
I was greatly excited when I heard that a Professor Stork, a magician who had come to Detroit recently and had opened a magical depot, would give a performance at a local hall. Of course, I made it my business to see his show which was very good, the one trick that was outstanding to me, was that in which he had three men in the front row, draw cards from a deck. The cards were returned to the deck and one of these men was asked to hold the cards in his hands. At that moment a telegraph boy came running into the hall shouting: "A telegram for Professor Stork." The professor opened the telegram and found the three cards that had been drawn by the three spectators and an examination of the pack proved that those three cards were missing from it. The trick impressed me greatly and as I understood the modus operandi I decided to do it at my next performance.

IMHO the larger challenge in using the time travel theme is making it somehow believable for the audience rather than just a hackneyed, overused, trite and unconvincing contrivance made of empty words. A non-trivial challenge and I hope you do find something that works for your performances.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6429 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
David Harkey has a great time travel premise using an egg timer.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Jonathan, do you consider Walton's "Travelers in Time" or the Paul Cummins version of that premise to be hackneyed, overused, trite and unconvincing? How about Ron Bauer's writeup of "Ed Marlo's Time Machine"?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16223 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes difficult to do in effect. Perhaps the magician could appears to; climb inside a TV and be seen on the screen to meet JFK or whatever.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-04 00:30, foolsnobody wrote:
Jonathan, do you consider Walton's "Travelers in Time" or the Paul Cummins version of that premise to be hackneyed, overused, trite and unconvincing? How about Ron Bauer's writeup of "Ed Marlo's Time Machine"?

In base theatrical terms the theme is bringing in a deus-ex-machina, a big gun type plot device. As to how well that integrates with the performer's character and the rest of the act ...

It's not so much what they wrote as how it goes over in performance. What may actually work for Roy Walton and Ron Bauer might not be working so well for others. One quick test is to see if you could just change the lines to "and now when I sprinkle some woofle dust from my pocket onto the ..." and see what changes as far as reactions after the results are shown.

Moving things in time, getting time to flow backwards, getting time to stop, moving things between alternate universes like a right/left reversed or where another choice was made... fine in literature but IMHO not so easy to sell in performance.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16223 Posts

Profile of tommy
Time relates to growth in the natural world. Perhaps one might play with that relationship. Perhaps by making a bud flower rapidly and so on, so to appear to speed up time. There is something a little magical about such in time lapse films. http://vimeo.com/5229215

Tommy
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Make a bill (or something else) appear, give it to a spectator with the admonition to keep it handy for use later. Later in the act, ask him for the bill & make it disappear, explaining that it has gone back into the past, to when you made it appear! Lots of time travel paradox patter you could use here.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Moat time travel effects tend to involve props going back to a previous state rather than travelling through time. Ie "the cards have travelled back to before they were shuffled.

I much prefer the object travelling through time. "your card has vanished and travelled back in time. I know that because it appeared in my deck two days ago. I remember because when it happened, I took the card out and put it in my wallet..."

I always liked the idea of sending the card back 100 years and I've appear in a photo in an old book.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Slightly less hackneyed but still old news. See the third season of Dr. Who where he meets Dr. Jones and shows her a cheap trick with his tie.

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 10:52pm
-------------------------------
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 17:54, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:... sending the card back 100 years and I've appear in a photo in an old book.

Non-trivial with a signed card but ... might be worth the effort for a TV special using a newspaper from the local town, etc..
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8996 Posts

Profile of funsway
Utilizing Heinlein's "Big SLeep" form of time travel, a man suddenly awakes after being froze for 200 years. It is today! Most of what he sees around him -- electric lights, automobiles, TV -- the conguering of many deseases will seem vary magical to him as they were "impossible" back then. When we present any effect based on "what is impossible" we are taking the spectaor on a ride into the future when things like invisibility, teleportation and transformation are possible and everyday occurances. I don't think using a "time travel" theme can add to the sense of magic felt right now, and might even reduce to impact of the dilemma.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Time Travel Premise (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL