The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you handle them when you are frightened they will darken more quickly. Being frightened causes your perspiration to be more acidic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Nothing frightens me, but I do get angry a lot. Smile
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 00:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you handle them when you are frightened they will darken more quickly. Being frightened causes your perspiration to be more acidic.

In that case when my 2 sets of cups and 2 chop cups arrive I shall nervously hold them when I explain to Mrs W how much I spent...

I should think they will patina beautifully...
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Smile
"But there isn't a door"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
That's funny.... and so true.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Are you talking from experience Bruce?

I am!!!
"But there isn't a door"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My bride never asks anymore! I left a set of brand new Mendoza's sitting on the coffee table in the bag for 3 days then out of the bag for another 2 before she even noticed! Then again I never ask about the packages that arrive for her but ALWAYS compliment anything she's wearing that I think might be new! Pete's bride gets nutcrackers, Bill's gets jewelry and mine gets WHATEVER she wants! LOL
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Same here... mine gets photo lenses and books, don't know why Smile I get cups and decks of cards... surprisingly they are about the same cost.

-DJ
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tom… sometimes I have to dance around the issue.

For the most part, my wife is good about it. She just does not understand why I need more. I think it is because she has never had a hobby the requires collecting things.

If she complains too much, I tell her about the other hobbies I could have or I could go back to drinking.

Best wishes,
Bruce
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

***I tell her about the other hobbies I could have or I could go back to drinking.***

Bruce,

I only pulled the ol' "I could always go back to drinkin" once! After over 2 decades in that group of significant others of ex drunks her comment was simply "Bummer, that would sure suck for you"!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Mickey…. She knows that I am joking with her. All and all I could not ask for a better wife.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think that all of us are very fortunate to have wives who are "cup tolerant."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I totally agree Bill!
I think mine's just glad I rarely buy guitars or horses anymore!
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I tried rubbing my cups after exercising in the morning, and it rubbed off all of the patina that had already started to form! Must be something I ate.......
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

I don't think the "rubbing" is the right thing to do, it might be better to hold them in the palm of your hands long enough to allow the metal to absorb the acid coming from your hands.

Just grip the cups and rotate in 30 second increments for a total of 15 minutes for each cup. No Rubbing.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I have used this with great results...
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displ......annelId=

The Patina Green solution contains ammonium chloride and copper sulfide. When applied to copper it will react and a light chocolate brown and a subtle hint of green is the result.

Just make sure there is no clear coat, degrease the object, and apply with a brush or spray it on.

My recently bought Little Don Alan copper chop cup was antiqued with this and I am very happy with the results.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's the same stuff I use. After washing the cups thoroughly, I wipe this on with a paper towel. You're not "painting" with it, only starting the chemical reaction. Be prepared for green fingernails for a few days. Wipe gently a few times through the day, not to add more, but to evenly distribute the film that develops. After letting stand overnight, you can either repeat the process or go to the next step and rinse the cups with HOT water. Try not to wipe anything at this point. What you're looking for is an even coloring. When the cup air dries you'll see a yellow haze form. This is good. Let it go for a while until the cup darkens evenly. If you wipe it off too soon, you'll remove the patina and have to start over. If you wait too long, it'll turn green and you'll probably have to start over. Once the cups are evenly colored, gently wash off the haze (yellow hands this time) and let them dry. The cups will continue to oxidize naturally from there until you stop the process by waxing or otherwise sealing the cups.

If you don't like the results, or if you get blotchy spots, just use something like Wright's Copper Cleaner and start over.

Frank Starsini saw the results of one day of this treatment at WMS on my new Mendozas.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Chemicals? Get a grip!
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Here's an example of what I came up with after experimenting with a chemical patina solution: Sulfur!

I found an old bottle of granular sulfur from a chemistry set in my garage and remembered that sulfur is one of the best ways to get a minor corrosive reaction with copper.

I ground up the grains into a very fine dust... Maybe 1/8 tsp. or less. Then stirred in a few drops of water to make a paste. With warm hands (held under a hot faucet for a minute or two), I rubbed the paste onto the exterior of the cup and kept adding a drop or two of water periodically as the mixture dried out. Over about 10 minutes, the cups started to change and looked as it does in the photo after only one application.

Repeat the process for the other cups and you're good to go! It's hard to see in the photo, but the copper also takes on a great purple/blue sparkle.

NOTE: It is hard to get a consistent result with this method. I only tried it because it didn't cost me anything. I made the mistake of using too much sulfur on one of the cups, and also ran the cup under very hot water to rinse it off; the result was some very large BLACK spots which needed to be polished out. With careful control over temperature and quantities of sulfur, I know a consistent result can be achieved.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

My cup looks just like that, and I never used chemicals. Next month I should have photos of my entire collection and you will see how my cups turned out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL