The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Apprentice... LOL, that is funny, very funny.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I don't know that the shower bit is helping your cause...

Its the oils in your skin that turns your cups... Not humidity.

If you want while you are watching TV just hold them. Once the copper feels warm, like body temp.. then they should be good. Hold them until your palms get a little sweaty...

That will work better then the shower and probably better then a chemical method.

Shawn
Shawn.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Shawn,
Thanks for the input, maybe it is just coincidence, but the Cups have not done anything until I introduced moisture from the shower. Literally there is new color each night. The climate right now is so dry… sweating just doesn’t happen… maybe I am dead and don’t know it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
The moisture levle in people's hands is different from one person to another. I work as Wall-Climbing instructor and I sometime touch other people's hand to feel the amount of moisture their hands have to determine if they really need Chalk to help them climb better. Yes, some people need more chalk than others, some people just sweat a lot more than others.

My whole body leans on the dry side, my hands and feet are normally dry throughout the day that I need to put lotion on. I never use chalk when I am climbing, because I just don't need it.

Now, I have been rubbing my cups recently as much as possible to get the patina process to speed up, but it is taking forever. I guess I am going to have to wait longer than other people for my cups to turn strange colors.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
You could allways run in place... Grab some of your pit greese forehead greese ... whatever and apply to the cups... Don't smear it... Dab it and in moderation... Too much sweat will get you nowhere are well.
Shawn.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Here's a good "crafty" page of patina solutions:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Create-......=1227497

essentially the rule is this: sulfurous solutions will create a green (verdigris) patina. Ferric solutions will create a brown (or even black) patina.

here is a list of MANY solutions to add patina to copper cups:

http://alexbealer.org/node/223

I don't really care if you cannot get the chemicals you need in your area, sorry...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You've got to be careful what you do. Some of the patinas are very superficial and will flake easily. That's going to be a problem with cups which are nested & un-nested, hit with a wand, etc.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
I work for an architectural sheet metal company and have had to patina many projects in the past. Completely dipping the cups in the solution will provide a more even finish then brushing. Make sure to keep each cup in for the exact same amount of time. We have discovered that cleaning the surfaces with fine scotch brite before dipping makes a huge difference in how the metal takes the finish and the finishes durability. Don’t worry about the fine lines put on by the Scotch brite they will disappear when the metal is dipped. Also make sure to wear gloves when handling the cups while cleaning and dipping or your fingerprints will show up in the finish. After removing the cup from the solution dip it in a bucket of water and while it is submerged gently wipe it clean with a soft cloth. After the cups are dry if you don’t like the finish, or there is a problem with it, just start over. Varying the dip time will lighten or darken the cups.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
Don’t laugh at me, but other Cups have turn quickly for me by sleeping with them at night. These squatty 2 Cups are another story.

Bruce, come on, how can you say "Don't laugh at me..." and then tell us that! That's the best thing I have heard all week!

Thank you Smile

Bri
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 14:07, mindyourmagic wrote:
Quote:
Don’t laugh at me, but other Cups have turn quickly for me by sleeping with them at night. These squatty 2 Cups are another story.

Bruce, come on, how can you say "Don't laugh at me..." and then tell us that! That's the best thing I have heard all week!

Thank you Smile

Bri

REALLY? I thought "Cat pee in sawdust" was the funniest thing I heard all week!
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
The following link will take you to a site containing the same formulas that Gaddy linked to earlier:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

The only difference being that this page provides a link for the purchase of each chemical.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

As we were talking about patina I thought I would have a go at showing the 4 different ones on the coppers I have.

From left to right Morriseys (my first ever set of cups and the are laquered so no patina), JES Squatties (still quite bright), Ken Brooke (P&L's never been polished and I think they look lovely), Phoenix cups (never poished and looking nice).

To be honest the cups look 100% better in real life and I now realise what job Bill has with his 1500+ sets in photographing them, I've only photographed 4!

Bri

Click here to view attached image.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
That link does not work for me!

:^):<
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

It's not a link, it's a picture. It shows on my screen? Not sure what's happened madkiki? Sorry
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Thanks all for your comments regarding patina.

I have decided not to go the chemical route… I will keep handling them and exposing them to moisture from the shower.

Best wishes,
Bruce
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bruce,

Maybe you could go on vacation to somewhere warm, take the cups with you and just sit in the sun playing with the cups.
Say, Vegas perhaps.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 18:58, mindyourmagic wrote:
As we were talking about patina I thought I would have a go at showing the 4 different ones on the coppers I have.

From left to right Morriseys (my first ever set of cups and the are laquered so no patina), JES Squatties (still quite bright), Ken Brooke (P&L's never been polished and I think they look lovely), Phoenix cups (never poished and looking nice).

To be honest the cups look 100% better in real life and I now realise what job Bill has with his 1500+ sets in photographing them, I've only photographed 4!

Bri

That photo looks a lot better than the first few I took! The secret is in the lighting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Well Tom…. There is a Vegas vacation in my future. I will take the Cups to Craps Table with me, if things turn for the worse, I am sure that the sweat I produce will turn any Cups.

Take care,
Bruce
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Smile
"But there isn't a door"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 14:19, DDecae wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 14:07, mindyourmagic wrote:
Quote:

Thank you Smile

Bri

REALLY? I thought "Cat pee in sawdust" was the funniest thing I heard all week!

The REALLY funny thing is that it works better than any other solution I've seen here. No lie!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL