The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Don't do this to me! I have a cat who uses wood based litter... Now you've actually got me considering it...

I thought I was normal and now you have me thinking of sleeping and showering with my cups and dumping them in the cats litter tray! Nope, I just know I would never be able to explain it to the Mrs! What are you doing to my head!!!! Smile

:cups:
Etienne M.
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
75 Posts

Profile of Etienne M.
Maybe a bit off topic, but why can't I see the picture?

Floyd
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-- Albert Einstein
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I thought this thread was a little too far out there, but now it has me placing my cups on the bathroom counter while I shower. Let the shower mist cover the cups, I refuse to take the cups into the shower with me.

Once in a while the cups go with me when I sit down to watch TV, and I will stroke them like crazy.

I refuse to waste money on chemicals and do not like the idea of using chemicals on my cups. Too lazy to do it anyway.

What will I do next?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 17:11, mindyourmagic wrote:
Don't do this to me! I have a cat who uses wood based litter... Now you've actually got me considering it...

I thought I was normal and now you have me thinking of sleeping and showering with my cups and dumping them in the cats litter tray! Nope, I just know I would never be able to explain it to the Mrs! What are you doing to my head!!!! Smile

Pete Biro gave me this idea. Here's how it looked when I first finished this, admittedly funky process:

the marbling effect is from the pellets and is consistent from cup to cup.

Apparently they used to use this process with the... um... urine from horses... to coat copper clad rooftops before the chemical constituents became readily available commercially...

I love it!

PS- sorry for messing with your head...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Wow, nice Patina. It would great to see other examples.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

I have been handling my cups with my bare hands only on the outside of the cups, don't have the time to work on the inside of the cups.

Is anyone else trying to "Patina" the inside of their cups?
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

What kind of cups are those anyway?
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thay look like Phoenix cups from Tom Frank.
"But there isn't a door"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Gaddy... Way cool looking Cups!!!

Madkiki... I agree with Tom, those are TF Phoenix Cups.

Best wishes to all,
Bruce
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
TF phoenix cups they are indeed...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I got one right Smile
"But there isn't a door"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 02:49, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 17:11, mindyourmagic wrote:

Pete Biro gave me this idea. Here's how it looked when I first finished this, admittedly funky process:

the marbling effect is from the pellets and is consistent from cup to cup.

Apparently they used to use this process with the... um... urine from horses... to coat copper clad rooftops before the chemical constituents became readily available commercially...

I love it!

PS- sorry for messing with your head...

Gaddy, I really likethe look of that. I lovethemonkey fist ball with the Phoenix too, better than the originals I think. Thanks for sharing Smile

Right, off in thebath now with my Sherwoods! Smile
lol

Bri
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 12:20, jconstans wrote:
Forcing a patina is kind of a weird concept to me.
Basically forcing a patina is trying to make the cups look as if they have been used a lot,
...why not just actually use them a lot?

My thoughts, exactly...

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
Basically forcing a patina is trying to make the cups look as if they have been used a lot,

I have to agree on this one. I had a custom made set of cups that I wanted lacquer-free so that it would patina. I've attached a photo of the cups when I got them, and another "after" photo. To be honest, it took a couple of months to get a good even patina just from handling, but I'd rather have that look than any "forced" method.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2186/2038......00_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3204......f6_o.jpg
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Rick… I remember reading your post when you first received your Cups; they are great looking by the way. The pictures show a big change from when you got them.

Thanks,
Bruce
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-01-17 10:24, ursusminor wrote:
Quote:

My thoughts, exactly...

Bjørn

well, for starters, the "natural way" of patina-ing a cup tales a long time, is often uneven or causes an undesirable "metal smell" on the cups and can also shape up to not be the desired color.

I use my cups every day, and I'm still glad I used a chemical wash to get exactly what I wanted from the base metal, instantly.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2009-01-17 14:02, BCS wrote:
Rick… I remember reading your post when you first received your Cups; they are great looking by the way. The pictures show a big change from when you got them.

Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I now have a new set of the copper Paul Faux cups and am going to be anxiously awaiting that same patina.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
well, for starters, the "natural way" of patina-ing a cup tales a long time, is often uneven or causes an undesirable "metal smell" on the cups and can also shape up to not be the desired color.

I use my cups every day, and I'm still glad I used a chemical wash to get exactly what I wanted from the base metal, instantly.

It does take time, I know.
It was the irony of the thing that struck me!

Your Phoenix-Cup looks really spectacular!
Did you bury them in "prepared" cat-litter, or rub them with it?

I'm actually tempted to try, as you can see!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I found this very interesting…. Copper and its antibacterial properties.
http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/co......7-1.html
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

My SBL Pro Worker cups finally went dark without the aid of chemicals, pee, cat litter, or being put into the shower.

I had been picking up the cups and running my fingers all over the cups everyday and this was taking way too long. So, one day I decided to just hold the cups in the palms of my hands for about ten minutes per cup and repeating the process a number of times. The next day they were dark, and now I know it is the palm of my hands that holds all the Patina Magic. Will continue to add the Patina Magic for several more days until my other new cups arrive.

Get a grip people! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL