The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Keith… you are just a man with intense man of action kind of sweat, you could probably turn aluminum Cups. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

My Squatty Cups are now all cloudy and turning that dark penny look, I just rotate the Cups each day and handle them.

I have read about many formulas on the internet, but the use of chemicals scare me. There was one with baking soda that I was tempted to use, but decided against.

Take care,
Bruce
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2009-03-10 10:16, BCS wrote:

I have read about many formulas on the internet, but the use of chemicals scare me. There was one with baking soda that I was tempted to use, but decided against.

I have experimented with numerous types of home 'recipes' on my set of TF Phoenix Cups over the past month. After many attempts, I have now cleaned them back to their original finish. (Well, actually better than the original finish.)

The baking soda idea seemed to be working but produced very odd looking results... Initially it seemed fine, but after several applications they were very splotchy and odd looking.

Vinegar and amonia applied directly to warm cups wasn't any better. Dark spots and odd pinkish swirls.

Fuming with vinegar only, (Cups suspended above vinegar in an air tight container.) resulted in the deepest blue-green fuzz imaginable. This was rinsed off to reveal a finish that looked as if the cups had survived a fire.

I considered trying Liver of Sulfur or one of the other 'patina restoring' chemicals, but at the end of the day have decided to let them be... if they turn fine, if not, then that's fine too. I handle my cups daily but beyond finger prints and smudges they all look pretty much like new.

Miles - I think your cup looks great. Hopefully mine will get there eventually.

Best,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Thanks DC. I got them to become about similarly brown with regular handling, but then for some reason one of them got a HUGE shiny golden palm print on it. Like my print had washed away all of the patina. It looked horrible to have such a huge difference on just one of the cups.

I got tired of waiting for it to blend back in, so I tried the sulfur.

Like I said, it's hard to get a consistent result with that method, but since the time frame isn't so long, it may be worth trying. However, that picture is not a before/after, it's an after/before.... I ended up polishing them, and now I'm trying the natural handling technique again.

-Miles
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I'm to afraid to use any chemical on my cups...

I just handle it and with a little help from weather here

this is some pictures of my cups

3 days old : http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/......1403.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/......1401.jpg

6 days old : http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/......1417.jpg

a month old : http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/......400_.jpg

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main thing when you try to get a patina on your cups -- whether you use artificial means or not -- is to clean and degrease the cups thoroughly. Don't just wash them. Use a good liquid detergent, then a good degreaser. Then rinse the degreaser off the cups with distilled or filtered water.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ramoss
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of ramoss
Andre,
I like the watch. Does it turn clockwise or is it mis direction?
Bob
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-11 18:43, ramoss wrote:
Andre,
I like the watch. Does it turn clockwise or is it mis direction?
Bob

Hi, Bob
It's a normal watch. Doesn't do anything Smile
FYI it's Seiko Arctura

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Nice patina Andre. I should bring my cups along on my next tropical vacation. Amazing how fast they browned~!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I have the opposite problem. Living in Las Vegas with very low humidity, my cups keep their shine for years. That's why I resorted to the artificial "kick start" to get things going.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-12 01:44, milesg wrote:
Nice patina Andre. I should bring my cups along on my next tropical vacation. Amazing how fast they browned~!

Yup, milesg... should do that.
Within a week time, you will get a brown cup Smile

Cheers
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Forcing a patina to copper Cups... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL