The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spongeballs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
Great Britain (Manchester)
45 Posts

Profile of killaklownkris
Hi.i have taken a big liking to spongeballs and was wondering wheres the best ideas for routines that are differant apart from youtube?i have beening doing the 2 in the hand and 10 count,but seen people float them,hows this done?loops?and wheres the best place to buy differant types of sponges?
thanks chaps kris
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
The very best ideas for routines are in your head. You've seen what everyone else has done. How about inventing a new story line that is completely unique to you.

As for how its done, you've mentioned one possibility, but again the key is to find a method and make it work for you. This is not the best place to discuss howto's that is intended to be done in the secret sessions area. As for techniques I believe there are books and videos also routine ideas. (discussed in the "Ever so sleightly forum.)

One way to invent routines that are unique is first learn the basic sleights and principle (sounds like you have already done this.) Go someplace where where you are total uninterruptable for some time. Take out paper and write down as many ideas as you can during that time. Don't try to judge or sort the ideas, just write down as many as you can.

For spongeballs you could start with something like this:
They could be

-Lint that follows you everywhere
=Germs that multiply
=Tribbles (from Star Trek)
-Inter-dimensional space aliens
etc

Once you have list of about 40 things or so, go back over it and pick one that sounds interesting and see if you can create a story around the idea and then fit the sleights to the story.

Good luck.
Professor Myst
Engineer, Inventor, Writer, Teacher, Wizard
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Thanks myst,i was looking for something kinda comedy too,but suppose that's the patter,im kinda new to this forum,wheres the secret sessions pal?thanks
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Eddie ray's sponge ball dvd has a lot of the basic sponge ball moves and is good for a beginner
keith1569
View Profile
New user
California
87 Posts

Profile of keith1569
I just got SPONGE from penguinmagic and I really like it..Its 20 bucks and includes 4 sponge balls
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The encyclopedia of spongeball magic (http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Encyclopedia-of-Sponge-Ball-Magic-DVD_p_63.html) is a very solid DVD as well. Ben Salinas does a great job in presenting many quality effects, as well as citing the origin.

Check out Steve Dacri's work as well. Spongeball toolbox.

As mentioned above - once you learn the basic moves, you can put together your own material easily.

As for where to buy? I would say my shop of course! hahahah but seriously - any decent magic shop will have sponge items.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 10:39, killaklownkris wrote:
I'm kinda new to this forum,wheres the secret sessions pal?thanks

The secret sessions areas become available after you have made 50 posts. You can find out about this at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=39&0
Professor Myst
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 08:24, S_Myst wrote:
=Tribbles (from Star Trek)

That's so cool! I never would have thought of that.

Mike M.
<BR>Mikey M.
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Tribbles?as I am not a treky more of a south park fan lol that lost me!!! but thanks all the posts......i have been looking for a large sponge ball for end of routine and cant seem to find one! my last resource to is toys r us lol
any ideas chaps?
thanks
kris
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 07:35, killaklownkris wrote:
I have been looking for a large sponge ball

Goshman makes sponge balls in various sizes, shapes and colors. I thought I remembered a post by Bill Palmer where he gave a source for the largest sponge ball on the market. I searched but couldn't find it, you might try a PM. Here is a link for a 4" at Penguin. (They seem to be all "Out of Stock" on 5".)

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=6912
Professor Myst
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Cheers for that myst but I was looking for something a bit bigger like a small football.i wouldnt mind the square one too,but that's out of stock!!!
oh well ill keep on looking!!!

kris
deathrisingup
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of deathrisingup
Every time I open up the front page and see this thread I misread the title momentarily and start thinking of Mel Brooks Smile

May the schwartz be with you!
"Well, all the time ya spend trying to get back what's been took from ya, more is going out the door. After a while you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it."
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Lmao at death,mint film mate!!!!
kris
S_Myst
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of S_Myst
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 11:32, killaklownkris wrote:
...something a bit bigger...

I searched some more but never did find the post I thought I remembered. But I found this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

Really big sponge balls talked about here, up to 22 1/2 inches. Might be what your looking for.
Professor Myst
killaklownkris
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Thanks for all chaps iv ordered 2 differant types now and cant wait till they come.
thanks for all your help
kris
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Go with the Encyclopedia of Spongeball Magic DVD believe it contains lots of the moves and routine from a book by the same name.Goshman make the best spongeballs try the Super Soft.As far as large spongeball try. http://themagicwarehouse.com
for the giant spongeball 4"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spongeballs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL