We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I know nothing about lighting but I need some for my Illusions Show. I already planned to buy two of them : this one and one of this one.

I know a little of this but I need a control board or whatever it is called to control all my lights. I know that in the second package a small board come with it but what is the best way to control lights? And what do I need for that?

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There's a lot more to it than just purchasing fixtures.

Read the lighting basics topics here first, then wait for some of the lighting experts on the board to read this topic and post advice.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Is there any EXPERT for this question????
Dare to Dream...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
That is expensive for what you get.

You can get a complete controllable system, including: dimmer packs, truss, trees, a controll board, cable, 8 par cans, and 8 bulbs for under $600. You will need someone to control them for you.

I don't know much about lighting other than how to operate a followspot (I did that for 3 years in high school) but you definitely don't want any chase controllers, the chaser is in control of the lights, and it flashes them to the music. Not very good for setting a mood and tone for an act.
-Matt
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I need a Control board that can control inteligent lights and can someone can give me links of where I can find all of this equipment??
Dare to Dream...
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Finaly, I will go to my local MusicStop and they can provide me the help I need.
Dare to Dream...
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
It's expensive if you want the good stuff. Don't forget that you can do some pretty awesome stuff without having intelligent lighting. I put together a system for Iggy Pop several years ago and he insists on nothing digital in his show whatsoever. Still possible to make it look cool.

Chris
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I posted a similar question on stage lighting not too long ago and I received some tremendous advice. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11

Hope that helps.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Thanks Kent!
Dare to Dream...
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
Sincerely -

Go to the library (the one with real books) and read up on stage lighting. You'll save time. effort and prevent yourself from throwing away money on stuff you will end up throwing away.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
I'm the tech director for an Auditorium and I know we are always selling things. Check with your local community theatre/s, and see what they are getting rid of. Maybe you can get a good deal on some lights. Now, there is many different kinds of lighting materials. Here is the basic terms and definitions:

Ellipsoidal: Ellipsoidal are considered to be the prominent device used in stage lighting. These lights belong to a group of lights called focusing instruments. Ellipsoids allow the designer and the lighting technician to make the edges of the beam softer or to cut off part of the beam to leave an area unlit by the use of shutters.

These lights are normally designated by their lens type. If the lens measures 6 x 12 then that means that the first number listed is the diameter of the lens in inches. The second measure is the focal length of the lens. The focal length is the distance from the lens where the light rays converge. The focal length is usually measured in inches. When moving ellipsoids it is always a good practice to make sure all shutters are completely closed. This way there is no way for the shutters to get bent.

Fresnel: Fresnels are used generally for color washes. When these lights are used the beam can be changed by moving the light back and forwards on a track built into the light. The edge of the beam on the fresnel is always soft where as the edges on ellipsoidal can be changed from harsh to soft.

Scoop: The basic description of a scoop is a flood light. These lights are a very good way to provide a full light setting for the stage with a small number of lights.

Par Cans: A par can gives a broad, general beam of light and covers a wide area. Par cans are possibly the easiest lights to use and to work with. They are very light weight and easy to handle. They are also easy to focus. These lights are seen with many traveling shows and bands because of their durability.

Followspots: Followspots are designed to follow an individual actor. These lights are used simply to give the actors mobility on stage. Followspots have many differences in the way that they are designed. The basic setup though is internal gels, and also shutter controls. There are followspots out on the market that have many more features than this but these are the basics.

Control Devices: When utilizing the above lights there is one aspect that must be confronted. That is control of them. Control devices are different and there are many of them on the market, but in the end they all perform the same basic functions. The first of these is the control of power. These devices allow you to control which lighting fixtures receive power and which ones do not. Another function that these devices control is the level of brightness. Many operate just like a household dimmer switch. These devices allow you to decide how brightly you want the lights to operate.

You may or may not need a spot light, Keep in mind if you want a spot light, you will need a follow spot operator. Find someone good because there is nothing worse than a spotlight that never hits its cues. They do sell scopes for spotlights that cost about 40 a piece that work really well. I bought 5 of them for our spotlight and I absolutely love them.

If you have any questions about lighting, please don't hesitate to ask me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL