The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » show for 14- year old girls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
themagicofmc
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of themagicofmc
I am fifteen-years old and have been a part-time professional magician for about 3 years. I was asked to do a show for a 14-year old girl's birthday party on May 10th. I am used to performing for family audiences, small children, and the elderly. Does anybody have any ideas on what effects would work? This is gonna be a hard one (not that I'm complaining, performing for a bunch of girls that are around your age is great). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Michael Smile
jbguy
View Profile
New user
Vacaville, CA
55 Posts

Profile of jbguy
Hi Michael:

One effect that comes to mind would be something with a rose. Girls love roses! Maybe the Floating Rose or an Appearing rose trick with flash? Maybe combine both?

Just some suggestions...

JBGuy
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
As long as lot and lots of stage blood is used you will be fine! Just kidding! Try sponge balls, girls seem to like that. I also know my girlfriend likes card tricks. Try one of holding her hand over the cards and stopping on the one she picked. Some silk tricks might also go over well. Just make sure you get them involved in the act!
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Very involved. lol! Tell you what Mike, I'll come out and take care of the show for you, no problem!

I'm 15 too... Smile
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Oh boy here we go again!
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I agree Phillip, we've covered this before.

I don't and won't take bookings for parties for kids over 10, and I never get asked for magic shows for 14 year olds. It must be a cultural thing because over here they would rather pull their eyes out with a fork than have a magician at their birthday party. It's seriously damaging to their street cred. At that age they want a disco, bowling party, or some other activity party.

On the rare occassion I have taken a booking for an 11 year old, I've warned the bookers that the kid may not like it. "Oh no," they say "he/she loves magic." I tell them they might but their friends may take the mickey. Every time, a couple of days later they've cancelled after they informed the kids about the birthday party plan and the kids have thrown a double 6. Now I refuse the booking.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2003-05-02 02:10, p.b.jones wrote:
Oh boy here we go again!
Phillip

My thoughts too!!!!! Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Michael,

There is a post similar to yours in the Close Up Workers forum—magic for 16 yr old girls ... lots of helpful advice there.

Even an update how the show went ... it turned out to be a hit. Make sure you check out both.

Good luck to you! Smile
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
"Oh boy here we go again! "
"Exactly my thoughts"

Mine too ... I wonder who keeps starting it?

If it has been covered before, then please don't bring it up again?

Reliable sources have told me there are kids over 10 who like magic ... oh wait ... those were just 15 year olds who wanted a magician at their birthday (loved it too), they probably don't count.

I can only assume the statement that kids over age 10 don't like magic is based on a very small demographic sample. Not every 15 year old has an image problem, or is from such a tough knock background that the cool has to be kept up at all cost ... it must indeed be cultural, because there are people that make a living doing it, with repeat bookings and all.

And again ... is there really any help whatsoever in the remark?

Back to the topic ... I think the best advice I can think of is try not to adapt too much to your audience, it'll make you feel insecure. Better to be you— you've entertained before, and despite what others suggest, 16 year olds are not completely devoid of having fun being entertained.

I would, given the timeframe, be very selective as to picking up new stuff, rather see if I do effects that don't specifically target the real young ones. Maybe look for patter hooks that are contemporary to the age group.

If all else fails ... charm em off their socks!

You go Tiger!
Kaj
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Tell you something Michael— when I was your age I used to play piano every day for a ballet school, and used to feel the eyes of teenage girls looking at every inch of me, and watching every move I made. Boy what a feeling— thanks for reminding me of this!!
Why, you can even see me on http://aceparties.co.uk/bellevue.htm enjoying this delight.

Go for it man.

But regarding entertaining this age group regularly I agree with the others. Only the other day I was watching my hyperactive, cheeky, too clever, 12 year old son from a distance and thinking, "did I really entertain this age group once?" Heaven forbid.

Tony.
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
One sleight comment before I put a sock in it.

I agree it's hard to entertain 15 year olds, but Michael has a huge advantage.

After all he's kinda 15 years old himself ... he might know what a 15 year old likes and be able to relate to them better than any other ... as Tony's post so beautifully illustrated. :o)

Kaj
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I must be the only one who does not mind these age groups then. I personally do not have a problem/actually enjoy working with them, but I have covered most of this elsewhere. I normally give them a version of my adult cabaret with a few minor changes to some of the gags. The great thing is if you are happy to work 11 - 20 year olds, you will find it very lucrative for some of the following reasons.

1. I treat them as adults and make sure the booker knows it. This means they are paying me to entertain adults not kids, therefore I get higher fees.

2. You can book the shows in the early evening so they do not interfere with other bookings.

3. Many of the youth organisations will ask you to do balloon workshops. Again this is for young adults not kids, so more money than kids' workshops (these workshops can also be at out of peak times).

4. You will get a lot of 18 year old birthday parties which are really good financially.

Phillip
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I did a show at a school today and 12 - 15 year old girls seemed to eat it up.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
WDMagic
View Profile
New user
Memphis, TN, USA
4 Posts

Profile of WDMagic
Quote:
I agree it's hard to entertain 15 year olds, but Michael has a huge advantage.

After all he's kinda 15 years old himself ... he might know what a 15 year old likes and be able to relate to them better than any other...
Kaj is right ... I am 15 and I find it extremely easy to entertain girls from around 13-18. Magicians just have that certain charm that girls like. Smile This Hallowe'en I was the entertainment for my friends Hallowe'en party ... the entire grade was there. The girls were all hanging around. So Michael I would just go with it and do your best, you'll do well.
--Will
Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordian. -- Don Rumsfeld
themagicofmc
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of themagicofmc
Thanks for all your input. I will let you know how it goes.

Michael Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I do my adult show for teenagers, because, being one myself, I HATE being talked down to.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
One trick that is always a smash hit is when you break her favorite 'NSYNC cd and don't restore it. It works like this, you smash it, and she hits you. Smile
No really, anything with roses is good. And since they are around your age and in your town, touching is good too (especially if you're both "free"), you might get a date. Smile
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hmmmmmmmmm,
as a 15yr old I wouldnt do anything on stage walkround would suit it better girls reactions to things like these are priceless;
The web
Card in mouth
Rising card
anything like that but if you have to do an act girls like magic to music I have found some simple manipulation do you have any candles?
Matt

Ok I ve just seen that the date is 2003 not 2004 oh well!
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
211 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Let's see.. where to begin....

I was asked to do a birthday party for a dozen 16 year old girls, I had a blast! I routine the show so that it was above a children's show and below an adult show. (does that make sense?)

I mixed mentalism, comedy magic and motivational magic.
There was something for everyone who attended the show.

Robert.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Please explain motivational magic please
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » show for 14- year old girls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL