The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Quantum Levitation: For Teeny Tiny Magic Tricks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Sure you need a scanning electron microscope to watch the show... but its cool!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200......1422.htm

sdmagic
thescienceworks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of thescienceworks
That is cool. Not quite as amazing, but still really cool, is the LEVITRON, a magnetic top that can spin in mid-air for a good five minutes. Kids of all ages love it...

You can check it out here:
http://www.levitron.com/

-Steve
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2678 Posts

Profile of John Long
A demo that I had done, as best I remember it, used a permanent magnet, a non-magnetic material that became ~superconducting at liquid nitrogen temperature , and an inverted styrofoam cup to hold a small amount of liquid nitrogen.

The permanent magnet could be placed a few inches above the ~superconductor, and it would float. The levitation would continue as long as the LN lasted.

From the ads for the levitron, it seems it can be "tricky" to get it to float for very long.
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Levitron is definately an eye opener. I have heard they are coming out with a better one. Anyone know about this?
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Quantum Levitation: For Teeny Tiny Magic Tricks... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL