We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IJet & iPod, long-term field testing results (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Been noticing the posts on the VSM system and, since it's been years since Jeff's original "poor man's sound system" posts, I thought I'd post an update from the trenches.

First, I should admit that I'm selling something, specifically my old gen-4 iPod with iJet remote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......78866307

I've used this rig for dozens of shows, appearances, DJ gigs, etc. and NEVER had any hiccups, despite all of Kelly's dire warnings about the unreliability of iPods versus minidisk players. It's just never happened.

The setup is smaller, and cheaper, than the VSM and of course the Wireless Wizardry products, but I can't find a single thing wrong with it.

In fact, I'm selling it precisely because of its reliability. (Huh?) For years, I'd run TWO iPods with the SAME playlist simultaneously, with TWO iJets on different frequencies. I'd trigger a track on the iPod, then trigger the same track shortly thereafter on the "backup." If the primary rig failed, I could switch to the backup nearly seamlessly.

But the primary rig has never failed. So after all this time, I decided I don't need both iPods any more. So one of them's going onto eBay (BTW, I alternated, so neither one's more worn out; I just like the old 4GB iPod Mini a little better so I'm keeping it).

Understand, I'm not posting this to pimp the item (4th gen iPods sell just fine on their own, thank you very much), but rather as a "defense" of the "poor man's solution." The solution is smaller than the more expensive versions, and from what I've seen it's proven itself fully reliable. Certainly, there's been no problem with static on the antenna either in the humidity of Hawaii or the arid air of Las Vegas.

About the only downside is the lack of a "fade to silence, then fade back up and pause without letting the iPod sleep" feature. As most of you know, the workaround is to have a 20-minute "silent" track between each song or sound effect. For my own part, the lack of fade-to-silence hasn't mattered since (A) I can time the applause cues to cover up the abrupt cut-off and (B) the iJet offers volume control anyway.

Anyway, with all the back and forth about the VSM, I thought I'd report on my own experiences without the "high-end" solution. They've been good experiences.

magically yours,

Jim Kawashima
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Thanks for the information. I'm in the process of looking around. I currently use a simple ipod and airclick, but I think this may be perfect for me. I like the VSM, but don't see any real need for it.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Maxell has an IPOD remote (P21) which I think works better than the airclick that I was using. I found that the airclick was unreliable. I have used the Maxell for over a year now, and except when the remote battery ran out, I haven't had a bad experience. Amazon has it tonight for 11.99. I use the 'silence' track and it really works for me.
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I also found the Airclick less reliable than the iJet and the (discontinued) RemoteRemote2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IJet & iPod, long-term field testing results (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.7 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL