The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Submit Questions! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Hey everybody,

Many of you know me from around the forums over the past few years, but for those of you who do not, let me briefly introduce myself: My name is Brian Miller and I am a full time working professional comedian/magician at 20 years old, have been since I was 16. Those who do know me know that I take my work and magic as an art very seriously. My approach to performing has always been deeply philosophical as I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degree in math and philosophy and heading to grad school to pursue a Ph.D. in philosophy.

Having said all that, my very first DVD release is being filmed in just a few weeks. It will cover 7-8 of the effects from my Cards, Coins, Thoughts & Theories ebook series, and we have decided to try to make the DVD not only cover the explanation of my effects extensively as well as the psychology and philosophy behind the performances, but also add as much bonus material and extra stuff as possible to give you the most bang for your buck.

One of the bonus features is going to be a sort of interview with the camera, where I will answer questions that have been submitted by folks like yourselves from various forums over the next few weeks.

So beginners (or anybody else), here's your chance: submit any questions you might be interested in hearing me answer on this DVD. They can be about specific effects, magicians, philosophy/psychology of magic, the business end, balancing schoolwork and magic, etc.

I am in the position of being both young enough to understand the new generation of magic as well as a working professional. While my four years of professional experience are not nearly as great as many of the fine magicians on this forum, I have a certain perspective on these kinds of things that beginners and specifically younger magicians find to be very valuable.

Thank you,

Brian
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Hi Brian!

If it's allright, I'd like to start the ball rolling with a question I deem worthy of some thought. I wouldn't consider myself the ultimate beginner, but I thought it was worth a go. I always put this particular query to magicians who are balancing tertiary studies or other skills (eg: music, etc...) along with their magic career (part-time or full time).

Why is the concept of the 'renaissance man' (per say) shunned more so by magicians? What are your views on marketing a 'multiple skill set' and magic itself as a 'larger' picture?

Thanks a bunch mate!

Good luck with the DVD project.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Thanks for a great question Chappo!

That's it guys? There are all kinds of questions left and right in this forum on a daily basis - beginners come on in and submit some questions!
MaxiL
View Profile
New user
Sweden
19 Posts

Profile of MaxiL
How did you start your professional carrier? Where? Any tips on doing magic for an audience vs family/friends?

Those questions interest me the most at the time ^^ It is hard to come up with questions out of thin air Smile

Love, Max
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1153 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Brian,
I have been trying to go to your site to know you better. It keeps locking up my computer when going to the products page...

Anyways; I am a beginner and had a few questions.

- For a restaurant strolling around job; how many effects would you have ready to go for an evening? What is a good gole to have, before trying it out? Minimum. Maximum?

- There are NUMEROUS DVD's out there that cover all aspects of magic. What I haven't seen (maybe I have missed it, but I am new) is discussion of routining. What effects work together. Going from this kind to that kind, etc.

- Give examples of a "set" that you perform. What is your routine? Your list of effects.

- I have heard a lot of paople here say that the Okito Box effects don't get great reactions. Not bad ones; but it's not a fan favorite. What are some of the effects that you would say you get the best reactions.

- What effects give you the most trouble? Which ones do you have to practice the most?

Hope these help you out some...

Mike Newman
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 17:16, mikenewman wrote:

- I have heard a lot of paople here say that the Okito Box effects don't get great reactions. Not bad ones; but it's not a fan favorite. What are some of the effects that you would say you get the best reactions.

- What effects give you the most trouble? Which ones do you have to practice the most?

Hope these help you out some...

Mike Newman

I have a friend who is a bit of an ^&*hole sometimes. I was doing magic at a party and did an Okito Box routine and his comment on it was "this is the first time I have no idea what you did. I can't even guess. I know you are going to say no but can I see the box". I use the standard box so he could inspect it all he wanted and he did.
Don't write of the Okito box. With nice patter it ca lead to some great routines.
Magical John!
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Magical John!
Hey Brian,
here's one for ya
do you find yourself using a given formula when you put together original material? If so, what are some key elements you can't go without?
ttyl,
John
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
What are some ways of making the jump from having a day job to doing magic full time?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Great questions everyone, thanks to those who have already submitted and keep 'em coming! The more I have to choose from the better the results will be.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Please Brian thrall me with your acumen.

Please compare and contrast theory as presented by Nevil Maskelyne in "Our Magic" to Ortiz's "Strong Magic".

What is the proper or most useful approach to presentation and why?

How can a strolling or walk around performer not be a puzzle presenter with 3 effects in a 5 minutes? How can a walk around performer create a story that will induce an emotional response in just 2 minutes?

Brian, you've got talent but at 20 years young and just 4 years performing experience I don't know if you're ready to guide others. E-books and DVD's, let them wait. Use your talent for shows and furthering your career
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
clownmagic
View Profile
New user
Fallsview, NY
41 Posts

Profile of clownmagic
What resources are available to magicians if there are no local magic shops other than buying books and tricks?
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Clownmagic - please belive me that books are going to be your best resource.

While I'm not a fan of most magic rings is there one in your area? Tommy Wonder's DVD's and books are an outstanding resource as are many others

If you sift through the things here on the magic Café and remember to take things with a grain of salt there is a lot of good information.

Check out posts from Whit Haydn, Pete Biro, Bill Palmer, George Ledo
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......m=173&54
Big Daddy Cool and many others
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

The purpose of this thread is not for answers to be given, but for questions to be submitted in order to be answered on the DVD which will be then providing answers and information to magicians around the world, not just those who happen upon this thread.

There are plenty of threads in the Food for Thought section of the Café for debates over age/years of experience as credentials for teaching - probably hundreds of pages.
Brian
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Brian-- although I do not qualify as your young target audience, I would be interested to see if you are planning on stressing how important it is to know the history of the Art of Sleight of Hand and reading some of the standard texts.

Additionally I'd like to see you describe how you overcome your youth in terms of selling your shows to people much older than you?

I'm betting you don't use the word "Dude" a lot when marketing your shows, right?

;)

SEY
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I implore everyone to let my work speak for itself. There are so many DVDs on the market that have so many tricks on them, but so few that specifically address the concerns of a young teenage magician who is interested in pursuing magic professionally and at the same time balancing schoolwork. This DVD will contain not only effects that are specifically designed for real world workers (I use these on a daily basis), but also personal insights on how I have and do make it work with so many other things going on at the same time.

If anything might put you at ease, consider that Garrett Thomas is my mentor, and also that he, Jay Sankey, Greg Wilson, David Acer, Victor Trabucco, and others have all have all contributed to my work and have all granted permission to have their names associated with this project. Some of the top guys in the industry are confident enough with me to risk putting their names on my work - while I am not looking for a pat on the back, I think that should say something.
Victor Marnier
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Victor Marnier
Brian, thanks for your kind answer. I understand you have been successful and want to share with other young magicians how you have dealt with challenges. This indeed seems very different from what I was alluding to. And Garrett Thomas is one of my favorite magicians!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Submit Questions! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL