The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Devlin Cups & Balls Revisited (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Don't rush to put something out just to put something out. Test it in the real world for a few years. I have some material that I'm considering releasing that I have been using professionally for 5 years. All of my magic friends tell me I should, but still I'm reluctant. I want my material to be as perfect as possible and well tested before I release it. That's the way I feel magic should be released - after testing and time.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Have you performed this for a lay audience?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 11:50, twistedace wrote:
Don't rush to put something out just to put something out. Test it in the real world for a few years. I have some material that I'm considering releasing that I have been using professionally for 5 years. All of my magic friends tell me I should, but still I'm reluctant. I want my material to be as perfect as possible and well tested before I release it. That's the way I feel magic should be released - after testing and time.

I agree with twistedace. I have materials that I have been testing over 20 years and I am still not satisfied yet to release them.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 12:12, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

I have been performing this for lay audiences for about a year now. Lay audiences are fooled. Magicians aren't so fooled because of their prior knowledge of the Cups & Balls.

Can someone tell me who originally wrote the Rub-A-Dub-Dub patter? Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 16:17, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 12:12, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

I have been performing this for lay audiences for about a year now. Lay audiences are fooled. Magicians aren't so fooled because of their prior knowledge of the Cups & Balls.

And how are you finding the entertainment value? Most of the comments here are about taste.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Lay audiences seem to love it. It is what they walk away talking about. Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:

Dave,

I love this routine!!

On his "Here I Go Again" DVD set, Volume 1, Bill Malone comments that this routine was originally written by Jack Bateman (7 of the first 8 stanzas; the Michael Skinner addition is the 6th stanza and it starts out: "So he looked at the mast and decided at last to try to go over the top...."). Lance Pierce added the last 4 stanzas to the current 12 stanza poem. (The Lance Pierce addition starts out with the stanza "And so, embarrassed again, these three old men....").

Hope this helps.

And, if I am inaccurate in any of the foregoing, go see Bill Malone. (grin)

Mike

P.S. I think that Bill also mentioned on the DVD that Phil Willmarth now owns the rights to this routine but that Phil graciously gave Bill permission to perform and explain the routine on this DVD series.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 18:43, Turk wrote:
Quote:

P.S. I think that Bill also mentioned on the DVD that Phil Willmarth now owns the rights to this routine but that Phil graciously gave Bill permission to perform and explain the routine on this DVD series.

Thank you for the reference. In this case, I don't feel I need permission as my routine is totally different except for the patter, which I have changed quite a bit anyway. Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
Thank you for the reference. In this case, I don't feel I need permission as my routine is totally different except for the patter, which I have changed quite a bit anyway. Smile

Hi, Dave.

I wasn't intending to imply such. I mentioned Phil only for completness of explanation and for a primary source for the routine in case you were not satisfied with my exposition. My apologies if my post seemed to imply that you did not have the right to perform the effect. Such implication was never my intention.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
68 Posts

Profile of hpcman
David,

I think the cups you are using are too small for your hands. A larger cup with more weight in it would make some of the moves easier and look much nicer.

Ben
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Which cups would you recommend? I have a set of Morrisey (at least I think that they are Morrisey) Cups that might work. I will have to try them. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The Devlin Cups & Balls Revisited (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL