The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Pendragons New Illusion DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Sounds great. But I am little confused still. They show you how to perform say, Clearly Impossible, but you'd still have to get the rights from them to perform it? Well, without plans I guess that's a given anyway. Looks like great history.
Put me down for one set.
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
185 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Yes, performing rights would need to be paid for Clearly impossible.
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
I am looking forward to this video arriving . I don't buy many vid's but this one seems to be a must have . Ill give you all a FULL REVIEW soon
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I just got mine in today and am watching vol 2 on the metamorphosis. This dvd with the inside scoop of the fastest switch out there is worth the price of the set. I'll post more when I finish watching the set.
deliveryboy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Great dvd set
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Sounds like a great value.

Why is it that when ever a new item comes out everyone (most everyone) who promotes it has less than 50 posts? It really makes me laugh.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of paw
They are in stock at Murphy’s Magic Supplies.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 01:30, pepka wrote:
I don't own a single illusion, don't ever plan on performing an illusion. Will I be picking thse up? You bet your bippy. Jonathan's knowledge can be utilized in any branch of magic. Plus, Char is hot.

I agree a 150% with you!!!
I don't plan to be a super illusionist but this can't be passed up!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
Just ordered mine.
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of paw
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like a great value.

Why is it that when ever a new item comes out everyone (most everyone) who promotes it has less than 50 posts? It really makes me laugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banester,
Why does that make you laugh?
Does the number of posts constitute greater or lesser Knowledge?
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
318 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Even though you have to pay for performance rights for clearly impossible, is it explained on the DVD or are only performance tips??
Alex
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Jonathan explains the history of the illusion and how it came to be in the form in which it exists now. He also explains the thought process that should be utilized when deciding whether an illusion should be added to your show (specifically, a Thin Model Sawing, in this case).

It's more than performance "tips", but you couldn't build your own from the information provided on the DVD.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Do you think that this would promote more illusionists? Will we be seeing more baskets, interludes, clearly impossible and other illusions exposed in the dvd?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I dropped some cash and I've got my set sitting right on my dresser, still sealed in the plastic. I really believe in the Pendragons and their work .. I'm sure it's well worth the money. If you're into illusions .. this should be in your collection.

I'll watch a little at a time .. I don't like to rush through things.

Steve
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
On “Magic of the Pendragons” Four-Volume DVD Set

Magic is -or should be- innovative. And whether the timeless Sword Basket and Hindu Sands, or their own creations like the Blammo Box and Interlude, the Pendragons have proved again and again that their success in the Magical Arts, as world-class entertainers, begins and ends with Innovation.

Along with actual past-show clips from their enduring career, the Jonathan and Charlotte of ”today” talk frankly and intimately about what makes each illusion gel and work, and what elements in preparation and performance are necessary to successfully stage and elegantly execute each piece.

As master inventors, entertainers, technicians, creators -and yes- innovators, this pair take nothing for granted, and each facet of an illusion is examined, dissected, and reassembled, so you as a magician, know if a piece will fit your style and if it’s right for your investment and time.

Many of the “greats” performed before the advent of film, and the nuances of their acts and style is lost to us forever, however in this case we are privileged to watch two experts of illusion share their thirty-plus years of entertainment with us, we’re getting the real-deal from the “horses’ mouth” so to speak.

My version of the Sword Basket called “Shanghai Kelly’s Chinatown Hamper” was OK… but lacked impact and depth, now listening to Jonathan talk about the theory and history of the illusion, and watching Charlotte re-create each move she does on stage under the cloth and in the basket, have prepared me to re-work my version for inclusion in the “Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast” show to be mounted at our San Francisco Magic Parlor. Just this one small segment of the four DVD set was worth many times the purchase price, as it provided valuable and insightful information I could not have obtained anywhere else!

This DVD set is for the “Thinking Magician” -for entertainers who want to co-create with the Pendragons, not mimic or mirror their classic performances. This knowledgeable couple is willing to let you in backstage, and hold back nothing of the sweat, tears, and triumphs which built their careers. All they ask is that you partner with them, listen to the advice, then go do something new and innovative of your own.

Thanks Louis and L&L, Jonathan and Charlotte, for giving the magic community and future generations of Grand Illusionists, the gift of these insights and efforts!

Magically,
Walt Anthony
San Francisco Magic Parlor
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
My wife and son are at our vacation home. Ahhh...finally a quiet evening to sit down and watch one of these DVD's uninterupted.

I started with DVD #3.....wonderful Linking Ring routine and suggestions, Sands Illusion, Head Twister....

Every illusion so well thought out....each move with a purpose.....the info does as it should....make one think and re-think one's own material.

Money well spent and time watching well invested.

Carrington
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Not to be a downer here but this release makes me sad. After seeing them on Amercias Got Talent I thought they were trying to come back. Does this mean that the injuries sustained prevents a touring or performance schedule? One of their larger secrets was their split curtain. Does this mean they do not plan on using it anymore? Why else then GIVE IT AWAY. Yes my friends, I think they are going way to cheap on their secrets. I hope they do no tthink they will cash in by selling millions on these.
This is my point. In magic's early history, secrets were closely protected all the way up to the 1920's. Top illusions were not just sold to anyone who would be willing to pay a small sum.
I know it bugs some magicians today. They feel they are ENTITLED to secrets just because they call themselves a "magician" They get so upset if someone does not tip a secret after showing them at their latest magic meeting. Many do not have any respect for someones routine or secret anymore. Not all but many do feel that secrets are AUTOMATICALLY shared.
Magicians forget that we do this to our audience all the time when they ask "How did you do that?" and we do not tell.
I for one believe is someone wants to give me their magic, I will take it if I need it. That is their doing not mine. However, I will not ask someone at a convention or club how something works, especially if I do not intend to ever perform it.
So when someone like McBride or Pendragon wants to give their secrets away, for $35, you bet I am interested. However I can not feel torn that they are giving up the secrets for the wrong reasons or for reasons unfortunate like needing the cash flow.
Now in the case with some, if not all, of the McBride videos, he is either showing you something he does not perform in shows or is showing you something that HE KNOWS MOST will never be able to do as well has he. (Like how some will demo a second deal, esplain the method and yet the spectator still can not figure out how they do it so well.)

So I bring this up since one already stated that on on of the Pendragon videos, the explanations are just tips and not going to teach you how to build it nor give performance rights (but how will they know most no televised performers are using it...) OK this makes a little more sense. (giving away something most will not be able to own anyway)

SO what about video #2. Can one learn how to perform the full effect as they used to perform it from this DVD? What is left out if not? Gee for the price it is a steal. (although I think their exchange method, as I was told, is not practical for most performers (angles)

Still sad to see it out there for anyone to buy. Good for me at that price but still wonder about the reason to put out these videos. Right off the bat I did think "well if you do not own these props, you are still going to have to invst in buying or building them before using the tips and I would bet they do not give plans or dimensions in this series, correct?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
They are still performing Metamorphosis with the split curtain and are performing it very well. Because of his injuries, there are just some things that Jonathan realizes he can't do as well as before.

There are no dimensions or building information given. Most of the series is about performance tips.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I recieved the dvds 3 days ago and I must say, I watched them all in a row! The metamorphosis dvd is AMAZING and there are loads of insights for illusionists. Its really a brilliant buy!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I think the point of this project is to help performers improve their acts .. not just to give things away. I still haven't had time to watch the set, and I think it's unfair for you to comment on them, when you haven't seen them.

I think there is more to the story here, the background and development to many of the illusions are included. It is important to understand some of the thoughts and theories when adding an illusion to your show.

I know both Charlotte and Jonathan are passionate about their work .. they would never "sell-out."

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Pendragons New Illusion DVD set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL