The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Magic of The Pendragons (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Tom is right, these are a Master Class.
The Pendragons have invented and innovated more than you know.

If you're looking for a Masked Magician approach look elsewhere.
If you want the truth about style, creativity, and sometimes heartbreak of magic look here.

It is rare to get such detail and honesty from those who've been there and truly know, these will go down in magic history as being a very important record of a very specific time in Grand Illusion.

Don't buy them if you're just curious, buy them if you are a student!

Magically, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Dear Group

Thank you for the many nice things said. I get battered by those who don't realize that my presentation is often mandated by my medium, the stage. At close range I am as laid back as they get, I am, after all, a native Californian. What I hoped our DVDs would express is the need for craft, regardless of how many people you are performing for. The magicians who I admired most always believed that presentation is everything and method is nothing. That idea is often misunderstood to mean that secrets aren't important, that's not what it means. It means that secrets can only get you so far. That in presentation the personality is revealed and it is here that memorable performances are made. Don't be a slave to a double lift.

If my patter for the Sands doesn't fit you, find something that does. It's about being a storyteller, there are tricks and then there is practiced craft of learning how to tell a story better. Josh, I know exactly how you feel, I couldn't relate to the common patter for the Sands of Egypt. I saw Native Americans paint with sand in Arizona and New Mexico when I was kid. I used the memory to construct the routine. The ability to make that story work is more about performance craft and much less about secrets.

I am by no means diminishing sleight of hand skill. Vernon genius was not sleight of hand, but rather the ability to routine, to understand what went where and why. I don't mean he wasn't highly skilled in sleights, he was, he also knew when they were appropriate. This understanding transcended all forms of the art. There use to be a tradition that the Thursday night performance before the start of the "It's Magic" run was for family, friends and the Magic Castle elders. It was a dress/technical run through and no tickets were sold or press allowed. Many years ago I was siting behind Vernon at the Thursday performance when an illusionist rolled brightly colored Zig Zag on stage. The stage and performers were dressed in a jungle setting. It was a visual oxymoron. In a voice loud enough to be heard for several rows Vernon quipped, "Yep, see one in the jungle everyday."

With Respect
Jonathan Pendragon
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
These DVDs are incredible. The Pendragons are the best at efficient stage movement. The little tips and nuances you can gleen from these DVDs will save you lots of time in mistakes made through trial and error.

I remember almost 25 years ago Jonathan and Char Pendragon were on the cover of Muscle and fitness, the only magicians EVER featured in that magazine.

They still look incredible.
Inspiration,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I recently was at my parents house and found an envelope marked "Magic castle and Jonathan Pendragon." I opened it up and found the deck of cards that I used to audition for the Magic Castle Juniors signed by Jonathan Pendragon.

As I was leaving the auditions Jonathan and Charlotte pulled up with a van full of illusions for their run the following week. Jonathan took the time to come over, talk with us, and perform some incredible card magic with my deck! Being a kid infatuated with magic, this was a huge moment. I'll never forget him sharing with us the importance of treating magic as and art.

I look forward to getting these DVDs

Thanks again Jonathan for all you have added to the art of magic.
Taylor Hughes
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
These are valuable DVD's even if you don't perform illusions.
feifei
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
179 Posts

Profile of feifei
I agree that these is an incredible set of DVDs put out by Pendragons. Although I don't do stage illusions and already know the secrets to how they all work, it was still a great pleasure in viewing the dvds and plenty of things to learn from it.

On some of the illusions I was hoping that Jonathan go into a bit more details about the illusion systems and gadgetry involved just for my curiousity, but then I absolutely agreed with what he said in the dvds, that it's more about teaching the presentation rather than explaining how to build them.

Highly recommended DVDs!

Hope I can meet you someday Jonathan!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 07:59, magicjack1977 wrote:
Domino, everyones entitled tot heir opinion and I've seen the Pendragons perform live, and although it was very entertaining, it was also nothing new. Everythign they did was old hat and there was nothing really innovative or original that I saw.

Then clearly you do not understand anything about the topic.

Nice try though.

Brad Hendeson
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 07:59, magicjack1977 wrote:
Domino, everyones entitled tot heir opinion and I've seen the Pendragons perform live, and although it was very entertaining, it was also nothing new. Everythign they did was old hat and there was nothing really innovative or original that I saw.

Professionals make their living doing the same tricks over and over for different audiences, amateurs generally show different tricks to the same audiences over and over again. So it is safe to assume that the Pendragons are satisfying A LOT more people than they are disappointing with their lack of "new and innovative material."
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Mark Hatfield
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Mark Hatfield
I bought the Pendragon DVD's on the recommendation of a friend. In particular I was interested in the "Sands of Egypt". I know that it is possible to buy this ready made, but I enjoy building and making my own stuff as much as possible. Also most, if not all of the pre-made sets only contain 3 colors of sand, I wanted to do a routine with 4. Everything has come together well with one exception, the final chemical. I know that Jonathan Pendragon finishes with the water still dark, but I want to clear the water, it works better with my patter line. However the final chemical he mentions, Cholic Acid, doesn't clear the water. I have made 2 purchases of 2 different forms of this substance but to no avail. It's possible that this chemical exists in a particular form that I am not aware of, or that I need some other chemical entirely. Oxalic acid maybe? I'd like some feedback before I drop anymore money into this.
Thanks!!!
Mark Hatfield
Mark Hatfield
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Mark Hatfield
I have to add one additional thought to this discussion concerning "new" vs "old" effects.Magic seems to be the only performing art where we insist that everything we see must be new. I would argue that as practitioners of the art there is as much if not more value in appreciating someones mastery of the art or a particular illusion or effect. Noone goes to the concert hall to hear a performance of Mozart and leaves muttering about having heard it before. Actors and filmmakers can watch "Citizen Kane" over and again and take away something new each time. Every time I go to Las Vegas, I make sure to see Mac King. I've seen the show many times, but I always have a great time and marvel at his absolute mastery of his show. The same with the Pendragons sub trunk, yes we have all seen it before, but I marvel at the mastery of each and every facet of the effect and the show.
Respectfully submitted:
Mark Hatfield
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 18:53, magic-taylor wrote:
I recently was at my parents house and found an envelope marked "Magic castle and Jonathan Pendragon." I opened it up and found the deck of cards that I used to audition for the Magic Castle Juniors signed by Jonathan Pendragon.

As I was leaving the auditions Jonathan and Charlotte pulled up with a van full of illusions for their run the following week. Jonathan took the time to come over, talk with us, and perform some incredible card magic with my deck! Being a kid infatuated with magic, this was a huge moment. I'll never forget him sharing with us the importance of treating magic as and art.

I look forward to getting these DVDs

Thanks again Jonathan for all you have added to the art of magic.
Taylor Hughes

taylor, was I there with you that day, because I remember jonathan doing the same thing after a brunch show in the palace...
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2010-02-04 08:14, Mark Hatfield wrote:
I have to add one additional thought to this discussion concerning "new" vs "old" effects.Magic seems to be the only performing art where we insist that everything we see must be new. I would argue that as practitioners of the art there is as much if not more value in appreciating someones mastery of the art or a particular illusion or effect. Noone goes to the concert hall to hear a performance of Mozart and leaves muttering about having heard it before. Actors and filmmakers can watch "Citizen Kane" over and again and take away something new each time. Every time I go to Las Vegas, I make sure to see Mac King. I've seen the show many times, but I always have a great time and marvel at his absolute mastery of his show. The same with the Pendragons sub trunk, yes we have all seen it before, but I marvel at the mastery of each and every facet of the effect and the show.
Respectfully submitted:
Mark Hatfield

Well put, Mark, I agree.
ArielIllusionist
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ArielIllusionist
Jonathan and Charlotte are both a class act. I watched these DVDs and are golden. This is much more than just going through the motions. The advice Jonathan and Charlotte both share with the viewer "professional" is invaluable. Just that is worth the price of the DVD set.

Domino Magic said it best:

"The attitudes on this forum about The Pendragons is mind boggling. I guess the mentality for some of you guys is this - "I just want to know the secret of a trick and if I already know the secret, then I know everything about it."

Yes, these effects are well known - they are classic illusions. I haven't bothered to do a search for these on YouTube, but an explanation of an illusion is completely different from learning theory and being trained. THAT is what you're getting with this DVD set.

First of all, the negative comments are coming in on 3 illusions - the basket, broom suspension and sub trunk. These illusions and others in which The Pendragons helped to create, innovate and popularize have taken them around the world and on international TV. But those 3 illusions aren't the only one on this set.

I guess it's the amateur attitude vs. the professional attitude. The pro knows that this set is priceless because you're getting advice from a couple of the top pros in the business. The Pendragons have succeeded far beyond any degree most of us will ever know. I'm a professional performer, so when another pro gives up their act for my benefit, I want to learn."

Thanks for your unending sacrifice to the art and sharing years of sweat and experience with us who love you and your performance!

Ariel the Illusionist (aka, Dr. René A. López)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Magic of The Pendragons (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL