The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Stuff (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
Hi, I have finally got enough money (spending money) saved up to buy some magic stuff. I want to set a small and impressive show that will really stun people.

I have $100. I'm planing to buy this stuff online (there's not a magic shop within 50 miles!). So, I want to know what stuff to buy (props, books, videos, etc.) and where to buy it online (somewhere where I can get it cheap!) so I can set up an impressive show.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Nick: you don't give us any idea of what kind of magic you're interested in...what kind of background you have...your level of expertise...etc.

And keep in mind, $100 doesn't go nearly as far as it used to.

Fill in the blanks, and maybe you'll get some better answers...

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
Well, I like coin, and card magic, and have a intermediate level of expertise. I am willing to spend as much time as it takes to perfect a trick.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Is that a stage show or table hopping?
Adults or kids or both?
Comedy, manipulation, bizarre, or what?
Silent or patter?
What are your areas of interest outside magic? (Your profile says "magic and computers" but, being here and on the 'net, that would figure!)
How old are you?
Where are you?
What kinds of opportunities exist right now for you to do what you want to do?
And, most importantly of all, why?

With answers to those questions, we might -- just might -- be able to offer some assistance.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
924 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I can offer some assistance even not knowing what type of magic you do. I am in the same situation as you (that is, having to order everything online). I like to order through Chazpro Magic in Eugene, Oregon, because for $10, you get a lifetime membership in their book and video club, which means that you save 20% off all books and videos. If you plan to order all your books from them, it ends up saving you quite a bit. Also, they offer fair prices for everything else, and they have an auction where you can bid and save even more on certain items. Additionally, they have sales lists which entitle you to great deals on a first come, first serve basis. I hope you'll at least check out their web site, which is
http://www.chazpro.com/Home.html

And no, I am in no way associated with Chazpro Magic Smile ....I'm just a very satisfied customer. Hope this helps you!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
We need to know what you already have.
You say you are into coins and cards but what types of sleights do you do?
What books do you own, and what videos do you own? Believe me, don't think $100 will buy a case of magic. Remember you get what you pay for. Check out the Good, The Bad, and The ugly.
Smile SloMo
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Hi Nick13245,

It's great to see you at the Magic Cafe!

Since you are on a limited budget, I recommend getting a book or two for starters.

These books are excellent resources:

-The Magic Book, by Harry Lorayne.
-Magic With Everyday Objects, by George Schindler.
-400 Fascinating Magic Tricks You Can Do, by Howard Thurston.

Whatever props you buy should have more than one use for them, like your Cards and Coins.
Rubber Bands, Rope or String, and a TT. all have excellent and various uses.

Have fun putting your show together!

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

-Marduke
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
Also, for books;

Now you See it Now you don't - by Bill Tarr
Modern Coin Magic - by J.B.Bobo
Encyclopedia to Magic - by Mark Wilson

These are the first three books I recieved and all you need for props are some regular cards and coins, Handkerchief scarves and maybe some sponge balls. Without knowing what you have, these 3 books are like gold to me. They go everywhere that I go. Also as stated a T.T. is essential.
Smile SloMo
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Keep saving, $100.00 doesn't go far in magic at all! I agree with the others, that you should grab some books to get started. Other wise your act will be short with your limited budget.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
I like to perform for a mature adudience, and I am 16 years old. I also LOVE to build stuff, and have even started to build some of my own decks, using what I learned off the "card splitting" form. I think books would give me a good idea, because I might be able to build SOME of the tricks. I like the appeal of close up magic because it is just more stunning for the audience, who are about 3 feet away from the trick, and still can't figure it out.

I know $100 won't go far, and that is why I ask you, so I don't make any mistakes with the money I have. Smile
Merlyn of 8
View Profile
Regular user
Massachusetts U.S.A.
147 Posts

Profile of Merlyn of 8
Nick, since you like coins I would say that Bobo's modern coin magic would be a must, it a valued addition to my book shelf, and non-gaff coin effects like "scotch and soda" and "a Little lighter" are great, need little investment and play great, I'm sure that Peter Marucci would be more than happy to help you with these as he did with me, e-mail him. and good luck with putting the act together!!
Smile Smile Smile
Cheers,

Thomas Cleveland

"Life is a jurney,enjoy the jurney"
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
924 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hi Nick,

One book that I wouldn't be without is The Magic of Michael Ammar. If you are only a beginner, though, I'm not sure I would recommend this. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is LOADED with coin magic for both close-up and parlor settings (I WOULD recommend this book if you are a beginner). A good beginners card magic book would be either Royal Road to Card Magic or if you are looking to learn everything about cards, Card College might be for you (although very pricey).

As for prices, you can get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic for about $10, and Royal Road can be had for about $9. If you are more advanced, the Magic of Michael Ammar is another excellent choice. If you think you are prepared for this book, "Private Message" me, and I'll tell you where you can buy it for a significant discount (it's usually $40). To tell you the truth, these are the only three books I have, and I have gotten along very nicely with them. Good luck, and Private Message me if you have any questions!

Also, there is a web site
http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm
where you can view the contents of each of these books if you want to look at them more thoroughly.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
mndude
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of mndude
Nick, I don't know if you've spent your $100 yet, but theres an area on here where you can get products for less from members here.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5861 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm sure he has. That was 13 years ago.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Smile Smile Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
One suggestion for a trick is hopping half. Its a great effect with shell coins and is very easy to perform.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
And still a 13 year old thread gets answers !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Ok, ok, ok... here is a clue, I'm going to tip my mitt to a valuable secret here folks... Don't just read the thread title and hit respond... at least read the original post and glance through the threads before responding to a thread.

So some 12 year old (I admit I am guessing here Smile) with a magic bug wanted some ideas of what to buy with his saved up allowance money on March 16, 2002. This said young savant went on to post a grand total of 18 posts on this fine disscussion board before disappearing (getting a girl friend probably). This would make him 25 years old now! LOL!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Stuff (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL