The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Answers for Telemarketers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I wasn't so long ago that a guy called me selling subscriptions to the local newspaper. I subscribe for the Sunday paper only, and as such I constantly gate calls try to upgrade me. One guy responded to me saying something like "pardon me?" because I couldn't hear him, by yelling profanity at me and hanging up. Needless to say I did not upgrade my subscription. This is not professional behavior.

It is annoying, but I once had a summer job trying to sell the Montgomery Ward Auto Club. I feel for these people, from my own experience, but I will tell you the people in that boiler room were not the people I would usually choose to hang out with. One guy who worked next to me often, got angry at something someone told him, and threatened to blow up the guy's house. He got fired for that. Then the building we were in started getting bomb threats.

One guy was a would be comedian, he was very funny and often deviated from the script if he thought it would help him make a sale. The problem was he sometimes cracked up the other people working near him. I remember hanging up on a customer, and having to run into the break room because I was laughing so hard. I wasn't the only one running in there either.

and it goes on. They could have made a sit com out of that place easily. Other pitfalls of the job included mis-pronouncing someones name. How would you pronounce names spelled...

ef-you-see-you-pea. I swear that was the guys last name
another name... es-aitch-em-you-see-kay. How can people have such names.
and you try keeping a straight face when taking to a guy whose name is Ronald McDonald, or James Kirk. Kirk was cool about it. I laughed in Ronald's ear and had to hang up.

Yes it is a hard job, but someone has to do it. I just wish they would do it somewhere else.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
So far, (as far as phoning [boiler-rooms] is concerned) I have not been able to find any GOOD way of doing it either... and believe me, I tried and tried and tried for years before I shut down all my operations all those years ago.

Hey I FEEL for the folks that do it and I know a lot of awesome pros out there, (which is WHY I listen and LEARN!) but no matter how you slice it is it an annoying intrusion for 99.999999999999% of the population, EVEN if it is for a good cause...

The .0000000000001% are likely only shut-ins who will listen and talk to ANYONE, Anytime for Any Reason… but they are NOT going to buy anyway! (Hehehehehehe!)

Like I said… there IS a better way. (Several of them actually…) maybe THIS would be a good chance to flex our “Creative Arts” muscle and come up with some alternative ways to accomplish the same thing WITH-OUT generating all the ill-will and animosity.

I KNOW, based on experiences and results that there are ways… (Some I can share when I get back, others I can not dues to contracts I have in place… but there are MANY ways) what would YOU GUYS come up with?

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (believing in solutions) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
With me, the local's are not really a problem. Those I try to be extra nice to.
It's those that just came over on a boat and now trying to speak English. I don't have a clue to what they're saying. Why in the world would a company put people like that on a phone.

I get two or three calls a week from AT&T (or I think it's them. lol) wanting me to change the phone service. I keep saying no,(I've changed enough) but it's a different person each time. They must have millions of callers.

I too feel for those trying to sell a show over the phone. That's how I did my fundraising show back in the early 80's. We called everybody in the phone book selling ads and tickets. But times have changed, and the way the phones are used today, I just flat out couldn't do it like that now. Like Dean said, I think it's got to be a better way.

I'm on the other end of the phone now, but lately that's not a good side to be on either. lol

Tom
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
That youtube clip was funny! you can also register your phone number at donotcall.gov (for US only) and file a complaint on telemarketers.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The trouble is that there are far too many telemarketers who are desperate. There's no direction in their calling efforts and they just call continuously. There are no qualified leads for them to follow, apparently. I often don't answer the phone and let things kick into voice mail. The number of cold calls coming in, on an average weekday, can waste a great deal of time.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Some of these people are just struggling to get by. The money isn't great and the beating they take is worse. Give them a break.
"I'm very sorry this is a bad time to call, can you sum up your offering in less than 2 minutes?"
or
"I greatly appreciate you taking the time but I am in the midst of something very important. Sum up your offer in a few words"

or even

"I'm sorry, can I call you back at this number? No? Please excuse me then and would you please add me to your do not call list? Thanks"

All short, to the point, and polite. What's wrong with you people? Do you spit on the homeless too? Kick dogs outside Starbucks?

J
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 16:39, RJE wrote:
As I mentioned James, this is the way a lot of my shows are sold. These particular shows have also provided and continue to provide income for dozens of performers. Not to mention the hundred's of thousands, or more, of dollars raised for the various charities the shows were held for over the years.

It bothers me as well that some people choose to think another person's job should be subject to ridicule. The person on the phone is trying to make a living. How difficult is it to say, "No thank you," at any time and just hang up.

I believe in Canada there is a "No phone list" that will take you off most telemarketer's call lists. I believe charities are excempt from this list. I do not know how the system works in other countries. But, if the calls bother you, change the system. The person on the other end of the line has nothing to do with it.

RJE

I understand what you are saying but here, the no call list supposedly does not apply to business numbers. I have been treated rudely by telemarketers. OI course not all of them are like that but the ones that call me are mostly rude. I have asked them not to call me politely and had them not read from the script if you know what I mean.

Granted, being rude to them is not warranted in a lot of cases if not most. What Im getting at is not being rude but playing a role of sorts. I really do not want to be mean but Im giving them my time on the phone and do not ask them to call me.
I get lots of sales emails but the only ones I send mean replies back are crooks trying to get my personal information.

best

Candin
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 23:41, Cody Moynihan wrote:
Take a look at what this guy did to a telemarketers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
Cody

WOW! AWESOME... Still laughing at I type this!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I've been a big fan of Tom Mabe for a long time! He has a couple CD's out with more calls similar to this. Loved the Mexican midget line toward the end on this one!

Lyndel
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 23:41, Cody Moynihan wrote:
Take a look at what this guy did to a telemarketers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
Cody

Thanks. I will write down some of those lines. I can't wait to use it.

If you be too rude with a telemarketer they might call you back different hours to annoy you by hanging up late at night by calling privately so you do not know where they are calling from.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I follow the three no's rule and then hang up.

Of course, I'm on the side of the telemarketers as my wife has been one for over 10 years. I don't find them as offensive as the majority of you seem to. I really resent the get a real job comments. It is a real job and real businesses use this model to run their businesses. Now here jobs have been different as she generally has implied permissions to call even if in the fine print you didn't bother to read when signing up to win $50,000 or a new car. Read the fine print and if you don't agree don't enter.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I don't sign up for new cars or free vacations, yet I still receive calls. I'm polite to the people who call, simply saying, "No thank you, I'm not interested. Please remove my number from your list."

If, after that, they still try to keep talking, I either hang up or I lay the phone down until they hang up.

Not as witty as some, but I don't have to worry about feeling guilty for mistreating someone stuggling to make a living.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
In the US the do not call list does not apply to business lines. I just got a business license for my bd business and, like a fool, put down my cell phone number as my phone number.

Don't ever do that!
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I was a telemarketer, several years ago, selling siding and windows to people at their dinner time. I did it just to make some extra cash while I was building a sales territory. I was actually quite good at it and made pretty good money. The supervisor said that I had a gift for it. After I built my sales territory for my "day job" I quit the telemarketing job because the hours robbed me of my evenings at home and weekends. They kept trying to get me to come back though for years.

The best way to get a telemarketer to stop his or her pitch is to simply say "Take me off your list". That is all you have to say and they have to stop their pitch and fill out paperwork to make sure you are taken off their list. If they do not do this, their company can be fined thousands of dollars.

Today I still do a form of telemarketing for my own magic business and my "skills" have proven to be a real asset.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Good post, Charlie.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I try to not leave a bad taste in their mouth, because you never know when you may need their services. However using the PEAK personality test I am a "Precise and Kind" The KIND are likely to listen to their message agree but never follow through....Apply that to your future customers....ever get a yes and you were sure they were booking the show, but then never hear back from them? Probally b/c they are "KIND" personality.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
My son was a telemarketer, and quite good at it too. He's now got a much better job - still sales.

He explained that they do have scripts they are required to read, some by contract and some by Federal regulations. If they are recorded going off script, they can lose their job and possibly subject the comany to a fine. He even had to read the scripts into a dead phone if the customer hung up!

The calls were generated by a computer - the list was loaded into the server somewhere, and they never knew who they were calling until the customer's info came up on their screen while their phone was dialing. And the only way the computer took your name off the list was if you said yes. So by the end of the month, with fewer customers left, the same people got called more often. He talked to one guy at the emergency room who had been called 6 times in a few hours!

Thanks for the business cell phone tip - I would have just unthinkingly put my number on the paperwork!

Ed
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 15:59, Ed_Millis wrote:
My son was a telemarketer, and quite good at it too. He's now got a much better job - still sales.

He explained that they do have scripts they are required to read, some by contract and some by Federal regulations. If they are recorded going off script, they can lose their job and possibly subject the comany to a fine. He even had to read the scripts into a dead phone if the customer hung up!

The calls were generated by a computer - the list was loaded into the server somewhere, and they never knew who they were calling until the customer's info came up on their screen while their phone was dialing. And the only way the computer took your name off the list was if you said yes. So by the end of the month, with fewer customers left, the same people got called more often. He talked to one guy at the emergency room who had been called 6 times in a few hours!

Thanks for the business cell phone tip - I would have just unthinkingly put my number on the paperwork!

Ed

This is EXACTLY how it works in "boiler rooms" for the bigger more sophisticated companies. I did work for some smaller operations where you sat at a push button phone and called people off a printed list. That was really hokey. The last job I had was in a high-tech operation where prospects were automatically dialed. You would just sit there staring at your blank computer screen and your "script" which was up on the small cubical you worked from. All of a sudden the computer screen would light up with the prospect's name, address, and other information. Your initial greeting was pre-recorded so it sounded good each time you started to speak. Then you followed a flow-chart of things to say. When the prospect responded in a specific way, you followed the flow chart for the proper response. If you had experience, you did not read from the script. You had to memorize the script and it was only posted there in case you had a "brain freeze" or in case the prospect threw you off. The initial training class and on-going training classes tested your ability to recite the script without looking at it.

The problem for the telemarketing company is that there is a tremendous turnover in telemarketers--as you can well imagine. Many of them have not been there long enough to sound "natural" when following the script and may even be reading it. I think my success during my brief "career" was due to the fact that I treated it like I treat a magic performance--I rehearsed and method acted. I also knew that it was a numbers game and after so many "no's" I would eventually get a "yes". I really did quite well.

Regarding you getting called back, if a prospect said "I am busy right now can you call me back in a little while?"......there were buttons you could push to make that happen. If you pushed F-1 they would come up again in the automatic dialer in five minutes. If you pushed F-2 they would come up in 30 minutes. If you pushed F-3 they would come back up the next day or next month or next year etc. You youself would not necessarily get the call but someone in the room would and the screen would show that it was a call back.

Today my telemarketing is for myself and I still think it is a very pro-active way to reach people. You still need to follow up with a call, a brochure, a newsletter, or what ever. I have booked quite a few shows this way
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 11:36, montymagi wrote:
I tell them something like "dude I hear ya but before we can talk I need you to get on the phone with my wife and tell her that you were there last night and I was not with anyone. Man you do this for me and I will listen to whatever you want just help me out....come on...hello?"

that's classic. Great for the dudes. Lately Ive had only females calling. Sometimes I just plan for the next one and then they catch me off guard or when I'm in' a hurry otw out.

Quote:
On 2010-01-14 15:59, Ed_Millis wrote:

Ed

I think a few times I asked what number did they dial. I forget their response but I know there was a pause in the action for sure. I need to follow up on this.

You know sometimes you never know when relatives from the past will call you but you can always depend on the next telemarketer. They are your true best friends. Smile

Candin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Answers for Telemarketers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL