The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I need a little help... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I hope you are healthy happy and warm. I need little help...No, I don't need any money (well not yet anyway) but I am looking for an independent book publisher.

I wrote a book about commuters who ride a bicycle to work. it is an A to Z manual that covers everything I have learned about riding in the big city streets. In it, I teach new riders and commuters how to ride, what to expect while out there, how to keep in shape, nutrition, SAFETY and leave NO questions unanswered.

The information in the bible could help save your soul. The information in my book could help save your life!

I am reaching out to everyone I know.

I never wrote a book before and God knows that I hardly ever even read a whole book! But I now have something serious to share and know it will be helpful to someone who wants to commute to work (or where ever) by bicycle.

The book is mostly complete and is now ready for editing.

If you know anyone in the publishing business, could you please hook me up with them?

With all the jokes and e-mails claiming riches (if we forward this to at least five people in the next five minutes...) here is something that CAN really make a difference in someone's life...like life or death.

Please help me save a life!

I would be willing to work something out with you in exchange. You can mail or call me to work out details.

2009: I WILL -

Make the book happen!

Start pod-casting about bicycle safety.

And become known as a bicycle safety advocate.

If you believe in me and have faith, I need you to help me! If you know someone, please ask. If you don't know someone, please ask around?!

Thank you!

And just because I love you...FREE bike tours of Central Park, for you and your loved ones, when ever you visit the city!

(and even if you can't take the tour, you can at least enjoy the photos in my MySpace photo albums. Which will soon include pod casts, audio and video.)

God bless!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
http://cafepress.com
http://www.lulu.com/

Both print on demand. I use Cafépress for shirts, and I have heard good things about Lulu.
-Matt
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thank you, Matthew!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Wheel on down to your library and head to the reference section. Look in "Writer's Market", an annual publication listing publishers along with other information. Avoid Subsidy publishers (aka Vanity publishers) such as Vantage. A number of writers are self publishing but your distribution is harder.

NYC is the center of publishing in the US so check out the yellow pages.

The subject would probably fit a specialty publisher or small press.

Good luck with getting it in print.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thank you Doctor.

And thank you as well, Scott.

I appreciate the help!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Hey Justin - I don't have any resources to offer up to help out, but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your endeavor. Its good to see people making dreams happen.

The only advice I can offer is don't get sucked up into a middle man type thing where you could do a lot of the leg work yourself and keep the profits.

Maybe a good step would be to have the endoresment or sponsorship of a national bike group?

Maybe source the printing on your own and advertise via biking magazines, or metro area publications?

Im one that hates giving middle men any cut... they rarely do much you cannot do on your own...

anyways... good luck Justin. I wish you the BEST.

When is your book on magic coming out? ;-)
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ive a serious bicycling question. I've noticed it is popular for people to get dark colored bikes, put on dark colored clothing, then to ride in the middle of dark streets or dart out between parked cars. These people often flatten tires on cars or slow down trips because the drivers have to use crow bars to get them out from under their vehicles. Are bikes sold now with reflectors or are these idiots removing them for some reason? I mean, there are always idiots, you've seen 'em, the guys who tailgate on the highway and when called on it claim they were 'drafting like the race cars do' when actually the speeds prohibited any benefit from this 'drafting'. Do the bike companies actually sale the reflectors as add ons? I really am puzzled by this, I rarely see a bike with a reflector. I do salute the guy I saw in San Jose a few weeks ago with strobes and reflectors all over himself and the bike, you had to come up with a good reason for running him down.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
ALL bikes come with reflectors on the spokes, one under the seat and one on the front of the bike beneath the handlebars.

Just like anything...there are those who play by the rules and there are those who don't.

I am writing the book for people who want to get into the game but don’t necessarily know what questions to ask or where to start. All they know is that they want to ride. I'll help them be safe.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Ill buy your book. just thank me in the introduction.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Justin,

You've some competition. This book is coming out soon and has a little buzz attached to it, you might like to take a look - there are some sample chapters..
http://www.biketoworkbook.com/

Rodale Press have published some good bike books. They might be worth a try. bicycling@rodale.com

Cheers,
Nosher
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Bummer...

Smart(er) people seem to get the jump.

I won't be discouraged however. I look at it like this; There are more than one cook book on the market.

I just want to share MY story and experience with others. I would also be (more than I already am) foolish to think I would be the only one to write a book about cycling (to work).

Oh well, I see they also have a podcast too.

I'll check the link and see what's happening and if they'd be interested in one more perspective.

Thanks Nosher! (free tour of the park for you!)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
FYI, how 'Bike to Work' came about and was published:

http://www.journalism.co.uk/12/articles/532981.php
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks Balducci.

Again, my lack of education has come to bite me in the butt. I tried to check out Lulu and it overwhelmed me.

I'm good at some things and a flop at others. Everyday is a struggle for me, I try hard to make things happen but sometimes it takes longer than the average person. it took me more than a year just to learn how to make a myspace page. It took me several months just to figure out how to get a video on youtube.

It might take me longer but I won't give up. I'm not good with book learn'n and have to do it by hands on experience. Hopefully an angel with come my way and we can work side by side.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I need a little help... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL