The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » PBOTH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Lately I'm seeing more and more performers using the Paper Balls over the Head trick. This piece is a great bit of comedy magic, but I'm wondering if it might have become overused. A lot of videos of comedy magicians seem to include this trick as well.

The problem is that if the volunteer that's helping you has seen the trick done (I see it performed every year here at our annual street magician festival), wouldn't that ruin the trick right from the start? Almost any other trick you get a volunteer for, it doesn't matter that they may have seen it since they're about to have some fun with you adding your own personality and humor into it. But for PBOTH, the whole trick relies on the volunteer not knowing what's happening?

So, do you think this one has been performed too much?

Brian
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Honestly, I haven't seen it in decades. Granted, Charlotte, NC is not a hot spot for magic acts. The most memorable time I saw it was when I was a kid, on the Ed Sullivan show, I think.
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Quote:
...if the volunteer that's helping you has seen the trick done ... wouldn't that ruin the trick right from the start?

Novel Solution: Ask your assisting volunteer if they've ever seen you before.

If that's not enough security for you simply ask for the help of someone who has never seen magic in person before.

You should be covered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » PBOTH (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL