The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fanning? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Slickfingers
View Profile
New user
Bristol, UK
2 Posts

Profile of Slickfingers
Try this page on the cards4magic.co.uk site.
Nigel
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Try some plain old talcum powder. Take a shoe box, dump some powder in, then drop in the cards. Shake vigorously then remove the cards. Shake off any excess powder. You should be able to fan the cards easier now, and without having to buy fanning powder.

There is no substitute for the skill though. Just keep practicing the fan until it becomes comfortable. magic doesn't happen overnight. Don't spend all your time on fanning though. Take a break, learn something else, then come back to it.

Don't sweat doing a perfect fan all the time. Most routines don't require a perfect fan when at least a decent one will do. Don't knock yourself out too early in your career.

S. Patrick
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
SlickFingers, thanks, duly added to Favourites! Smile

S Patrick, I'll also try your idea first, I have lots of spare decks to play with so I love playing with this kind of idea.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One thing that can help is to polish the surfaces of your cards with a silk. This will remove all the dirt and make them nice and slick. Use good cards with a nice finish. I don't think Waddington's will work well for this. Try a deck of Bicycle Rider Backs.

I almost forgot. There is another way of setting up a fanning deck that I learned from one of my old magic teachers. Get a bar of soap -- Ivory, if you can find it. Lay each card face down on a smooth surface, and with the corner of the bar of soap, mark a diagonal line from the upper left to the lower right corner of the back of each card. Once you have done this, stack them up, square them, and apply pressure to them with your hands.

Massage the cards around on one another, and if you can do a faro shuffle, faro shuffle them together several times. The idea is to spread the soap around on the surface of the cards.

I have never tried this myself, but it may be worth a shot.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
2 WORDS !!

Keep practicing!!

It will come.... Then you can start practicing to Faro

Good Luck

bb Smile
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
Fanning powder just makes fanning easier. It doesn't teach you how to fan. Dante King's tutorial is a pretty good deal. It teaches the thumb fan, pressure fan, split fan, LePaul Spread, those are the fans that come to my mind right now, but I learnt my fans from Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation series.

Problem is, I learnt to fan in my right hand, so all the indexes don't show, and I'm having trouble learning how to fan in my left hand now, though my fanning in my right hand is good. Smile
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
With which thumb you fan the cards? If you fan it with your right thumb...so you hold the cards with your left hand...hold them tightly with your left thumb, cause they actually act as the pivot point. And vary the pressure of your right thumb as you fan the cards out.

Another thing is, try fan the cards with your right index finger...I personally find it easier and I can fan them more even with my index finger...

just keep trying, it worth it... Smile
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
Yah fanning powder or a new deck will help. But nothing substitutes practice.
mooooomba
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mooooomba
Smile Bikes have air cushion and they'll seriously fan by themselves if they don't fall out...
If you're using plastic cards, it's almost impossible to do a thumb fan because it gets all sticky. Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

A couple of considerations: #1- Fanning Powder is great if you are doing ONLY stage manipulations. It gives a consistent look to your fans, etc. The problem in close-up work is that it gets on your hands and makes doing certain sleights almost impossible. For instance the second deal. It dries out your hands and is just plain icky. It happens to not be a factor for stage work, because it actually enhances the grip factors in back palming, etc.

I have taught hundreds of folk how to fan and particularly with the Pressure Fan ALLOW yourself at least a year or more to get it. Work at it every day for about five minutes and then stop. Just keep at it. It really is one of the toughest nuts to crack with cards for reasons that I haven't been able to figure out in years of teaching it.

Just give yourself time. Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Practice and after practice........... just practice more! Smile

And then, after you have practiced enough just.......................... practice even more.

So simple is that, no big secrets.

Believe me, I practiced nearly a year doing fans, cuts, shuffles etc. about 10-25 minutes per day. Watch TV and just hold the deck and practice. Cause it's cool when a magician is able to do stuff like that during his show.

Actually I practiced nearly two years before I stepped out in front of audience. BTW- the result was excellent. Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fanning? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL