The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So You Want To Be An Illusionist ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
My good friend, David Seebach has been asked to present his "So you want to be an Illusionist" lecture at this years Abbott's Magic-Get Together. From unloading his van, to setting up the equipment .. you are involved. I wish he was doing this years ago. You won't find this kind of information anywhere else. This is one of the best lectures I've ever seen.

If you're just getting started with illusions .. I suggest you get to the convention this summer. David has many years of on-stage experience that is unmatched. I can't wait to see what he has in store for this very unique presentation.

Steve
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
You think that he'll ever present it in book or video form?
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
If you're old enough to remember, David use to write an article for the New Tops Magazine back in the 80's. It was the first thing I would turn to as I was just getting started in the illusion field. Since then we've become good friends and I keep bugging him about writing a book. He's got so much knowledge to share .. and he's an amazing writer. Everything in his show is scripted .. just amazing.

I'm pretty sure I've convinced him to make a set of lecture notes for this special event. Maybe this will spark some interest in him doing a book .. I know I would be the first to get it signed.

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7383 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It needs to be combined with a dvd of unloading, setting, backstage, performance and reloading of a show.

Steve, you and I have already been there and done that on a lot of this. I think this should be a mandatory lecture for closeup and balloon twisters as part of their continuing magic education.

I've done my closeup and balloon work already also.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I'm still breaking my back loading in and loading out .. fun stuff. I think this is a great opportunity for those just getting started or the pros to see exactly what is involved with an illusion show. To my surprise many regular working performers have never seen many of these illusion right up close.

It was actually kind of funny to hear some of their comments. It takes how long to set up? How heavy is that in the case?? The girl has to do what?? When you're working with these props on a regular basis .. it's no big deal, you get use to all the work involved. Many just don't realize all that is involved. This lecture will get into just that.

If you've never been out to Colon, Michigan .. this is a perfect reason to come out. Besides .. I'm on the special Saturday Matinee show along with Richard and the rest of the Abbott's Stage Crew. It was a blast last time we pulled this off.

Steve
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
SOUNDS GREAT ! COLON , MICHIGAN IS AN AMAZING PLACE
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
When Greg asked me to promote David's lecture the first question I asked was about lecture notes and he said to the best of his knowledge David will have lecture notes. It sounds like you did convince him and this lecture should be fantastic fun.

You can find the latest on the 09 Get Together (including the Seebach lecture) at http://www.magicgettogether.com as it develops.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
For those that are from other countries (including me) the lecture notes will be awesome. Where can we buy his lecture notes?
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I'm sure if there is enough demand David will make them available. I think he still has to write them up first. The lecture will be presented this August at the Abbott's Magic Get-Together.

I'll keep on his case ... the book will follow.

Steve
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Abbotts will make arrangements to have some for sale after the convention
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I say YEAH...

Seebach's been at this along time and has much knowledge to share. Troupin' an illusion show is a lot of work. Most got no idea.

Plus, Colon in August is always a great place to be. I've missed a few years, hope to scoot there this time.

Johnson
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Set Up - Play - knock down - Set up - fight electrical techs, play, knock down travel - set up - lights great sound attrocious -- play - knock down --- travel -- assistant sick -- get local model -- train while setting up and cutting -- play -- knock down -- find truck broken after loaded -- etc.

The life of an illusionist is interesting. As Fechner once said -- ""to make a small fortune as an illusionist - start with a large one."

But, I must say I have always felt that hiring a magician for a large stage show who could not fill the stage and keep the audience visibly impressed was always a disappointment. This means top talent with personality and exceptional stagecraft, OR lots of big props and better than average stafecraft.

The labor in the latter becomes tedious and more difficult with age unless you maker enough to hire a good crew!
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Chez some of Davids Old Articles can be find on the Abbots website where they've e-archived some of the New Tops.....AC
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Can you give us a link? Smile
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I enjoyed all the articles but especially liked the Buzz Saw one because he mentions that it was the most expensive item in the Abbotts catalog. As a kid growing up in the seventies I used to read that catalog and the buzz saw was on my list for that very reason. However on my first trip to Abbotts I had only saved up about $300.00 or so and decided to purchase a garden of flowers with my savings rather than wait for the other 9,700 dollars to get the buzz saw.

Luckily I had Seebach's Tops articles and my dreams to get me through the minimum wage teenager years.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I went as far as making copies of the articles and binding them in a book .. no joke. Man it was a lot of work, and it wasn't cheap either. I made like six copies and gave one to David. It was a fun project .. learned a lot about piecing a book together.

Steve
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Steve, how many articles were there total? Adam
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
A lot .. he wrote for the magazine for years. I imagine he's got them all on paper, right off his typewriter .. there were no computers back then. They may have even been tablets of stone .. it was a while ago.

Steve
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

LOL @ the tablets of stone and what were those plate shaped thingys that you listened to music on called? My bad....it would be interesting to see the collection....David should release them as a book...from the Top's articles online his knowledge of Illusions is huge!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So You Want To Be An Illusionist ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL