The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So You Want To Be An Illusionist ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I say YEAH...

Seebach's been at this along time and has much knowledge to share. Troupin' an illusion show is a lot of work. Most got no idea.

Plus, Colon in August is always a great place to be. I've missed a few years, hope to scoot there this time.

Johnson
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Set Up - Play - knock down - Set up - fight electrical techs, play, knock down travel - set up - lights great sound attrocious -- play - knock down --- travel -- assistant sick -- get local model -- train while setting up and cutting -- play -- knock down -- find truck broken after loaded -- etc.

The life of an illusionist is interesting. As Fechner once said -- ""to make a small fortune as an illusionist - start with a large one."

But, I must say I have always felt that hiring a magician for a large stage show who could not fill the stage and keep the audience visibly impressed was always a disappointment. This means top talent with personality and exceptional stagecraft, OR lots of big props and better than average stafecraft.

The labor in the latter becomes tedious and more difficult with age unless you maker enough to hire a good crew!
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Chez some of Davids Old Articles can be find on the Abbots website where they've e-archived some of the New Tops.....AC
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Can you give us a link? Smile
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I enjoyed all the articles but especially liked the Buzz Saw one because he mentions that it was the most expensive item in the Abbotts catalog. As a kid growing up in the seventies I used to read that catalog and the buzz saw was on my list for that very reason. However on my first trip to Abbotts I had only saved up about $300.00 or so and decided to purchase a garden of flowers with my savings rather than wait for the other 9,700 dollars to get the buzz saw.

Luckily I had Seebach's Tops articles and my dreams to get me through the minimum wage teenager years.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I went as far as making copies of the articles and binding them in a book .. no joke. Man it was a lot of work, and it wasn't cheap either. I made like six copies and gave one to David. It was a fun project .. learned a lot about piecing a book together.

Steve
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Steve, how many articles were there total? Adam
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
A lot .. he wrote for the magazine for years. I imagine he's got them all on paper, right off his typewriter .. there were no computers back then. They may have even been tablets of stone .. it was a while ago.

Steve
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

LOL @ the tablets of stone and what were those plate shaped thingys that you listened to music on called? My bad....it would be interesting to see the collection....David should release them as a book...from the Top's articles online his knowledge of Illusions is huge!!!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You know its not such a bad idea. Maybe Abbotts could compile the collection and David could add addition notes and updates to the material.

I really think this would really sell. I remember looking through many of the articles and much of the information is still very interesting and useful. This might just stir things up enough to set the wheels in motion.

Subject: Illusions

the Book by David Seebach

Sounds good to me, long over due ...

Steve
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I haven't seen daivd is yeeeaaarrrsss.

nor have I been to abbotts in yeearrss.

so maybe, we could actually go.
(as I keep sayin')
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I think you shouuuld get your buuuutt in geeeear and go!

It's still a fun time, I look forward to a few days in the country .. nothing better than some fresh air and a peanut butter shake.

Steve

Don't forget the midnight tour of the graveyard on Friday ... Ooooh Scary!
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
I would love a copy of all the illusion articles. I read a few of the ones posted. And now I am hooked! He really does need to write a book. Illusions are one of the least written about subjects in magic.

Trey
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I couldn't agree with you more .. David has a lot to offer. I think there is a great gap to fill since Ken Griffin's Illusion Show Know-How.

Good news .. David has begun work on the lecture notes. I'll look over what he sent tonight. I'm excited ..

Steve
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Its hard enough getting my dad motivated to go to
a magic show but once he's there he's a social butterfly.

you saw how he was in November.

We'll see.
I have to fill my concert schedule and save my monies to go...
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I will venture into the Tops back issue room (it reminds me of a smaller version of the final scene in Raiders of the lost Ark) and pull all the tops with Davids articles. I know Abbotts has a complete set and could compile what is described above, but I am wondering if I can find enough back issues maybe we could give a free issue of Tops to all attending (sort of like free bat day at baseball), or include one with a purchase of lecture notes, etc. Let me see what Abbotts has first and then we can work something out.

We can have plenty of the Griffins Illusion Show Know How on hand too if you like, Abbotts has included that book in a current Illusion Book promotion at its site. I think it is from the 70's. You can find a touching story about the Griffins at the link below as they do a USO tour at a base in Vietnam where their son was killed a year earlier.
http://www.magicgettogether.com/tops/viet.html

Abbotts is always open to any ideas so please keep shooting suggestions at this thread. This years Get Together will be well remembered because so many new things are going to be added, not the least of which includes the first use of the new Colon Magic Park.

http://www.colonmi.com/images/colonparkcolor.jpg
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
I love the Griffins Articles! It is like reading a letter from a friend. You don't get that from a magazine now days!

Trey
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

You can find about 75 articles at
http://www.magicgettogether.com/tops/index3.html
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Everyone attending this lecture will get a free issue of Tops that will have a David Seebach Subject:Illusion article in it. The issues are over 20 years old but are in mint to excellent condition.

Who knows, since this will exhaust Abbotts Tops issues for those particular months these may very well become collectible items.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So You Want To Be An Illusionist ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL