The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pfig
View Profile
New user
Portugal
50 Posts

Profile of pfig
Hi,
I'm a begginer and I do tricks that doesn't require a lot of hand of sleight. My question is what is the best DVD I should buy so I can learn the handling of the cards.

Thanks,
P. FIG.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I suggest getting the Royal Road to Card Magic by Paul Wilson

http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Royal-Road......566.html

There is a lower cost DVD by Magic Makers that is ok... not as good as Paul Wilson's, but still ok.

http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Royal-Road......_60.html

I also suggest buying the actual Royal Road book. It is dry reading, but is very informative.

Royal Road is pretty much the "bible" of card workers.

Card College series is also a good set of books to consider.

The works of Dai Vernon are also valuable resources.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
I second the Royal Road book and DVD's. Also, Bill Malone provides great instruction for beginners in a DVD put out by the IMS. You could get it here http://www.magicims.com/Magic_Shop/DVDs/Best_of_The_Best.php It's disk #1.
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles

http://www.ammarmagic.com
pfig
View Profile
New user
Portugal
50 Posts

Profile of pfig
Many thanks for your replys.
I will buy Royal Road by Magic Makers because of the price.
hypermagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hypermagician
If you don't mind books, I would suggest that Card College vol.1. It has a lots of basic card skills, plus tricks that require only the skills it taught in the book.

I heard that Card College Light is also very good for beginners as well. Here is the first line of the description:

"From the author of Card College, the world's most acclaimed course on sleight-of-hand card magic, comes Card College Light, Roberto Giobbi's first text focused entirely on professional caliber card tricks requiring no manipulative skill."

I haven't bought Card College Light yet, but I will. I do have the complete set of Card College, and they are very good if you want to move more into card magics.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3127 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Card College Light is a good book, although it will teach very little when it comes to card handling.

Right now there are a couple of threads in the Workers section where many heavyweights are sounding off on what basic skills a card worker needs to learn. You might want to check those out.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Michael Ammar's easy to master card miracles (the one with red hot mama) is very good however it doesn't explain some things such as the wipe away vanish.
pfig
View Profile
New user
Portugal
50 Posts

Profile of pfig
Thanks a lot.
I have bought Royal Road by Magic Makers.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Card College Light if you don't want sleights. Card College Vol 1 to start with if you do.
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
114 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
Yeah, I got Royal Road to Card Magic by Paul Wilson and its very good, there's a lot of material to learn and will help with your card handling skills.
It all comes down to practice practice practice too!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
In the end, once you have learned 'how' to do a move it IS all about practice and perfecting the moves. Once you have a core of moves you need to learn some routines and that will add several layers to work on and perfect. Don't be stymied by the work. Just chip away at it little by little until you get there.

The only real value in video is your ability to see the entire action of a sleight. The overall gestalt if you will. When learning from a book the 'whole' action comes at you in small bites that you eventually will be able to put together and THEN SEE what it is supposed to look like.

The true value in the "Leaning from a Book Process" is that it allows one to acquire the talent of imagining accurately WHAT a sleight or routine will look like and translate that into action. Learning the basics from video and then jumping to books gives one the best of both worlds. Regards,
Brad Burt
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
The only real value in video is your ability to see the entire action of a sleight. The overall gestalt if you will. When learning from a book the 'whole' action comes at you in small bites that you eventually will be able to put together and THEN SEE what it is supposed to look like.

To steal a computer term, books are single threaded. You get one small piece of the puzzle at a time and somewhat out of context. In a video, you get the manuevers, in time with the patter, often in the context of an actual audience and often from several angles. Often the move is repeated multiple times while the instructor is pointing out the pitfalls in context of the move. While all of this is going on, you can see the position/angles of the body, arms and hands in contrast to the audience. All of these things happens simultaneously in video. In a book, you only get one dimension at a time - albeit sometimes in greater detail.

I still love books and believe strongly in their value but I think some magicians sell videos a little short of their real value for beginners.

Not that I've seen and read on subjects on intro to card magic but my favorite intro would be the Born to Perform Card Magic DVD. Excellent teaching of the basic controls, forces, shuffles, flourishes and four strong routines.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
n3o
View Profile
New user
Valenciennes, France
44 Posts

Profile of n3o
Hey, I just bought Royal Road To Card Magic as well as all five volumes of Card College. Those seems to be excellent books.

My question, as a total beginner, is the following : how should I practice to improve the best? Chapter by chapter until I'm comfortable with all the elements described within a chapter, or just trying to understand each technique briefly, do that with all the techniques in the books and then practices the ones I like the most?

What is, according to you, the best way for someone to learn by himself?

(Sorry if my question is written poorly, I'm french Smile)
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
Hi n3o,

I think best way is to learn the first two volumes of "Card College" so you have a good basic and after that you will know(or try out) what you want to learn from the other volumes.

bye
n3o
View Profile
New user
Valenciennes, France
44 Posts

Profile of n3o
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 18:08, balic2003 wrote:
Hi n3o,

I think best way is to learn the first two volumes of "Card College" so you have a good basic and after that you will know(or try out) what you want to learn from the other volumes.

bye

I started, planning at least one hour/day + a few more hours during the week end and whenever I get some free time.
Hope it'll be good enough to get confident with the basics.

Thanks for your advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card handling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL