The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Garrote (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
I'll admit I don't work on the street, exactly, but I'm fairly certain that those who do would find this routine to be very useful. It's Peter Loughran's Iron Garrote. If I WAS working the street a lot, I might not mention it to you, but as I'm not . . what the heck?
It's similar to the old rope thru the neck routine, except that it's something you can do pretty much surrounded - or nearly so. Once you've got the chain around your neck, it's angle proof. The chain is examinable, before and after.
I've written my own routine for it that plays for about six to seven minutes. You can't have it, but it's about witch hunts, wizardry and magically evading punishment - or something like that. I'm sure you can come up with something!
The whole thing, like Bob Sheet's "Hang 'Em High,' routine, is centered around that two or three seconds climax when the chain, (in this case), melts right thru your neck. And the illusion here is beautiful to watch!
The entire thing can fit in you pocket - if you don't mind a pocketful of chain!
My bet is that this will become a street standard over time.
No, I'm not a paid shill. (Although I'll accept large payments, certainly! HA!)

brane (NOT on the street in THIS weather!)
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Used this a number of times on the street >> Found that some thought it a bit offensive >> Also on two occassions the ****** Flew out into the audience.
So I decided to drop it.

An alternative which speckies do go for is the ropes / rings / coat routine as outlined on the Percy Press street conjuror disc.
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Yeah I agree, It seems abit much for the street, looks great though.

I do the old one with rope and ring.

Rich
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yep me too, I bought it rehersed but it was something about it that I could not put my finger so I never even used it.
Mario
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Agreed that it can be a bit on the bizarre side, I guess. In my case, I discuss the 'occasional head rolling down the hill from Edinbugh Castle.' ("They held their young children up high so they can see the head . . .look! There it goes . . ")
Interesting about the thngie flying into the audience, I had expected this was the method - and thought this might happen, although it's not happened for me. (Yet!)
Well, I bow to you guys superior experience at it. In the right time and place I intend on continuing to use it in my weirder venues!
Ever see the movie "Man From Earth"? A person who's (possibly) been around far longer than one might imagine. I sort of play that angle.
Thanks for the feedback!
brane
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Brane, I used to use a head guillotean on the streets with great effect. Only for a season mind I got board of lugging it around. The bizarre does have its place on the streets.
Mario
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This is a central feature to my small town festival/street act. In fact it has been since Peter first put it out and I got my first one (yes I have more than one).

You might find the discussion threads from in 2004 interesting:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

And four pages of discussion back in 2003 when the prop first came out.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

Great prop and leads to great routines especially for a street venue.

My routine plays to broad comedy and to date has not offended anyone (that I know of!). Ken I’ve not lost the “necessary” when used on a spectator. I have one sewn in a bandana that I wrap around the spectator’s neck. The bandana serves to prevent even the smallest accidental pinch or scratch.

Great prop and leads to great routines in almost any venue. It works for me on the street
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hay Harry
What are you up to these days?
Mario
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Kondini and others, I have a simple solution to your problem, pm me and I'll be happy to share. Its the same method that was suggested to me by Steve Santini and the one we did for Criss Angel's MindFreak episode.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 15:35, Peter Loughran wrote:
Kondini and others, I have a simple solution to your problem, pm me and I'll be happy to share. Its the same method that was suggested to me by Steve Santini and the one we did for Criss Angel's MindFreak episode.

P.

Peter's solution works well. I have used it many times with no problems.
The handling is much easier as well. Get this trick, use this trick. Very effective.
Gwyd
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I'd just stick to Rope Through Neck.. I do rope through neck surrounded .. I have exposed the looop in the back before, but I've never had an audience member call it out .. but a good way to hide it is .. If you are wearing a hat with a big brim (fedora) tilt it back, and tilt your head back "So everyone can see" .. the brim of the hat should cover the loop

theres my 37 cents worth
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Agreed, Peter's variation makes it a lot cleaner, before, during and after! AND easier, too.
Fascinating how the very same prop becomes weird, frightening, interesting, funny, puzzling - or something else - depending on who uses it. (As it should, of course.)
Worth every penny!
brane
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Also for some of you I mentioned my little gem routine I created and personally use for doing the illusion on a spectator. But some of you I didn't mention this tip/routine, so if you would like this tip, pm again and I'll be happy to share once again!

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to do a Hangman's Rope routine I got from Vic Lawson. I did a show for my niece (I don't remember her age at the time, but it was in the single digits.) I didn't do the Hangman's routine for her but I did a Phantom Knot to make a silk pass through a table leg. My sister said a few days later, she walked in the living room and her daughter had taken a scarf, was wrapping it around the coffee table leg, holding on to one corner and saying; "Tah-da!" was pulling the scarf off "the way Uncle Eddie did."

I stopped doing the Hangman's routine after that. I'd hate to hear about someone going "Tah-da!" and half strangling themselves!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I still use R.T.N. as I alwase have rope with me. to hide the deed in the back, I let doun my poiny tail, tilt head back so every one can see, and use 2 bits of roap tyed together at the back this extra bit helps hide the extra bit.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Peter do you still sell this? I've been trying to purchase one for quite a while and have had no luck in getting one.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
theadequate
View Profile
New user
Over there
12 Posts

Profile of theadequate
One thing I found when performing the Garotte (Hi Peter!) is the actual amount of force needed to pull is not that much - once you have the item in your hands you can tell how much or how little is needed. A gentle touch and some AC-TING will convince the audience you just yanked that sucker through your spinal column hard enough to behead an ox.

Plus, the knot *and* loop still visible, slowly drawing closed in front of you, is a great visual 'convincer' and the thingamammy is pretty much invisible even though it's right there in front of them.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
It would seem right, (to my fevered, brain-worm infected cranial structure), that anyone who is using Peter's Iron Garrote should probably be also using the Animal Trap, too! ??? HA! Somehow they 'feel' right together.

Oh - and Peter's new suggestion works wonderfully. I did find, however, that by digging around in my huge collection of . . .uh . . 'stuff' . . that I had a near duplicate of the gaff. I ended up using a DOUBLE gaff, because of the addition of fabrics, and it works absolutely perfectly.
brane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Garrote (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL