The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Impression: A Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Nice Review Phillip, glad you like it and use your own Handling.

However, the illogical part you were describing isn't illogical. We all KNOW we don't have to put it back in the deck. I put it back just to add some suspense and drama, and as Andrew said, hit 2 birds with one stone. I think it makes for a better feel of the effect.

Thanks!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
However, the illogical part you were describing isn't illogical. We all KNOW we don't have to put it back in the deck. I put it back just to add some suspense and drama, and as Andrew said, hit 2 birds with one stone. I think it makes for a better feel of the effect.

Hi,
I think we will have to agree to dissagree, because to me although it might add suspence and drama (though I don't see it) it certainly does make the effect Ilogical and far less direct take it from someone with a MENSA IQ of 142. The most logical and direct effect would be ..... the spectator deals the cards down or simly reaches in the deck and takes one out turns it over and it is the force card.. Now we are not real magicains so we need to alter it somewhere but the further you go away from that plot the more illogical and less direct the effect becomes in my opinion the fact that it adds suspence and drama are performer considerations not spectator ones. the spectator is not going to think "why did he have me take a card sign it and put it back in then find it again to show it was the one with writing on it? Oh yes it was to add drama and suspense ! they will just think that you had to do it for the trick to work even if as we know (but the specs don't) that it is not required. though as I say you do it as it suits you
Phillip
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
The reason they wont think it for the trick to work is because they insert it in the deck, and shuffle to thier hearts content. Theres nothing suspicious about that. Its not like you had to insert it into a special place.

I think for someone to even think that it works by inserting it into the deck, he would also think about where and how.

But, that doesn't happen. Smile

But we all do have different ways to present every trick we do. So put it in the deck or not, it will still work. Smile
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
We could argue back and forth forever on the back in the deck option. I reckon a magician might have the card put back in the deck, and I have tried it this way but people say "you're really good with cards". i.e. they think of sleight of hand.

A mentalist wouldn't have the card put back in the deck as this is superfluous to the efffect - it makes the effect so much cleaner and baffling to not do so. The spectators then consider the effect to be much, much, stronger - and real Smile

So magicians feel free to play it as a magic trick, us mentalists will stick to playing it like mentalism.
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
I've found the strongest way to do this is to have the card counted to by the spectator, they sign their name, and place it back in the middle of the deck. WIthout shuffling, I spread the cards face up on the table and open a prediction that says for example "8 of hearts". I have them pull out the 8 of hearts and flip it over. So far that has been the best method for me, but I'm still working on it
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Yes! That is the effect that describes the trick in the market, and its the one I usually perform!

However,

I do think that just flipping the card over without putting it into the deck is REALLY strong, but I also think that it putting back in the deck is strong as well. Both are extremely effective.

Im glad to see that everyone has adjusted the trick so that it fits thier own styles of performing, and I hope it goes well for all of you!

Thanks! Smile
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
Thanks a lot Yousif for such a great trick
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
A cool application of this, YousifS. I once used this same method for an any card at any number routine.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
894 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Okay,

I recieved Impression a while ago, and upon a cursory read through, was unimpressed. I thought to myself "There is really nothing new here. I have been doing similar effects for years."

The operative word was SIMILAR. I read through it again. And again. And again. Not that I needed to learn it, I have known 'the move' for years. I just wanted to envision the effect. As my mental picture became clearer, I started to like it. I went out, and tryed it on a few people. I tried it as written, and I tried it with some personal changes. It kills. It really does.

The manuscript was reasonably well done. The description and photos were clear, and easy to learn from.

The 'move' is covered by some natural misdirection.

And now for the big debate. To put the card back in the deck or not. I am of the camp to believe that the replacement of the card is somewhat illogical, or superfluous. The good news is IT IS NOT INTEGRAL TO THE EFFECT. You don't have to do it if you don't like it. While it can add drama, or suspense, it also lengthens what should be a direct effect. I don't put it back, but that is just me.

All in all, this is a very slick, very direct effect, regardless of whether you play it as a 'magic trick' or a mentalism occurance. Even though I already knew and use the move, it is the presentation, or framework, the way the actual prediction is revealed that is new here. And that is what I like. A lot. A simple, self contained miracle.

Reccommended.

Sean Fields
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
sludge, mentalism and magic.....I disagree with what you said about them saying, "You're good with cards." That is clearly a speculation from a magicians mind. They might think that of course, but the whole point is having them take it out and looking to see the other cards are free of ink. Of course you ask them to check. Like I said, you have them handle the deck, which makes it seem ungaffed, which it is. Plus, they see that the other cards don't having markings on them. This is the line I use,

"Go ahead and take the card you signed out and as you do this compare it to the other cards. The other cards will have no marklings on them."

On a side note, there is something really bothering me about some of the stuff said about Impression. This has been discussed on the Café before and I will share it again. Many people complain about a trick when they get it claiming that the moves and props are nothign new and have been used before. This is the case with Impression. All you guys who complain about that have to realize you are not buyiong the sleights or the moves. You are buying Yousif's hard work on getting this effect just right, the timed misdirection, the personal prediction, presentation, and the handling. You are not buying PROPS. You are not buying SLEIGHTS. You are buying an audience tested routine that has been custom done.

Anyway, I'll stop talking now.
-Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
I disagree with what you said about them saying, "You're good with cards." That is clearly a speculation from a magicians mind.

Actually I was quoting a real participant when I performed it with the card returned to the deck, hence I said:

Quote:
I have tried it this way but people say

I was only sharing my real world experience of performing this (very neat effect).

It sounds to me like you are a magician, maybe you do not know much about how mentalism is presented? That is speculation. lol Smile

As Sean said, different people will play it however they wish, whatever suits them as it is not integral to the effect.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Yousifs sent this to me recently and I enjoyed very much.

Although the concept of the effect is nothing new or ground breaking, Yousifs has introduced a very nice routine surrounding the basic move. As long as you have some sort of misdirection skills this will work very well for you.

This is also a routine that is really easy to master and is practically fail proof. If you get 'caught' doing this routine, then you should throw away every deck of cards that you own. Some of the best magic is the simplest. You should be up and running with this one rather quickly.

The instructions are agian simple and easy to understand with some pictures included, along with some bonus ideas to get your mind a rockin.

I do however would have to agree with some of the above posts that I do not have the volunteer place the card back into the deck after they sign it. I don't see the point, I think it is an even stronger routine by leaving it out since this way you give them the perception that the card that they freely chose never leaves their sight yet the miracle still takes place without explination. This also takes the heat away from the clean up.

For the price you can't go wrong, it is a very inexpensive piece that will play really strong. I liked it, and would reccomend it. Smile

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
Hi YousifS,

First of all, I haven't bought your effect, but was able to discern your method from the previous posts. I have been using the "Move" for over thirty years.
I sent a "Stop" effect to Apocolypse in the early days which utilized the "Move" and it was never published. Richard K. who was assisting Harry in the early days found it O.K. but not anything earth shattering.(and the move was nothing new)
I still do the "Stop" effect to this day and is one of my favorites.
Now to the point.
YousifS, I've tried your presentation a number of times in the last couple of days and I have to say...."It's Great"
What you have come up with is "commercial effect" that uses the "Move" in a presentation no one thought of before.
I would compare it to Whit Haydn taking the Chicago Openner and turning it into his own "Chicago Surprise"...it existed before but Whit's take on it has brough it another level and his manuscript is a great piece of magic.
Congrats on your effect and I know "Impression" will do extremely well for you...you've got a winner!

take care, gord
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
I don't know why, but a lot of people have said to me lately to buy this effect instead of Future Zone by JB Magic. I don't think these two tricks are alike and I don't know why everytime I ask someone for an opinion of Future Zone, they just say it's an OK effect but Impressions is way much better. Smile
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
First, thanks for the comments gordo.
Secondly, Hey Chris. Well, in routine, the 2 effects are different. The only thing in common would be the dealing down to a card.

Maybe they were just saying that the effect was better, and didn't require anything special.

Hope this helps.
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
OK Thanx YousifS, You've convinced me, I'm going to buy your Impressions trick.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
YousifS, you have to be a little careful here. You don't want people just buying your effect to learn the principle so they can apply it to other effects. That would be the equivalent of selling the principle and that principle is not yours, as you know. Only the effect in which it is applied. Just trying to be helpful. Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Thanks for the insight Marko. Im not interested in selling just the method, but the routine along with it.

However, The post before was an answer to the question about why people were relating the two, Future Zone and Impression. But I did edit out what was unneeded. Thanks for the tip.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
I think Impression is a great trick for laymen. Easy to do yet strong in effect. What more could you ask for?
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
I think there is a strong similarity between Future Zone and Impressions.
FZ
Effect. Spectator deals cards from a pack and stops anytime at one card.The Magician proves that he/she knew which card the spec would stop at by pulling an identical card from an envelope inside a wallet

Impression
Effect. Spectator deals cards from a pack and stops anytime at one card.The magician proves that he/she knew which card the spec would stop at by having previously marked the exact card stopped at.

Not exactly the same but pretty similar.

Chappelly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Impression: A Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL