The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Finale for a card manipulation routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a card manipulation routine, and I am not sure on what to perform as the finale to the routine.

Thanks,

Matt
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1893 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Here are some suggestions for ending a card manipulation routine:
1. Brother John Hamman's "Fan-to-See" in which a fan of normal-sized cards change into a fan of jumbo cards.
2. Production of a card castle. There was a card castle on the market a few years ago that was like a jumbo card that opened up nicely into a self-expanding card castle. I covered the jumbo card with a newspaper page and used the "newspaper" as sort of a receptacle for cards as I produced them. Then when "opening" the paper, a card castle appeared. The loose cards I had dropped inside the paper just looked like left over cards that weren't needed to construct the castle and actually adds toi the idea that maybe the cards aren't glued together???
3. Fanorama--the deck designed by Ed Mishell that can be fanned red, white and blue and then made into a double fan of the American flag. Might be hard to find, though. I don't think it's currently being produced, although there's an American flag fanning deck I think currently available that can be used similarly. Look up "American Flag Fanning Deck" at DennyMagic.com
If your audience is composed of patriotic Americans (is there any other kind?) it is always a crowd-pleaser. You could have your music start playing "It's a Grand Ol' Flag" just as the double fan is made.
4. There's a nice flourish I learned from the late Jerry Andrus in which a weaved deck formed into a "V" cascades like a waterfall into a bucket. A nice way to end a double-fan routine.

Another segue could be to use a silk to pull through the fingers prior to producing the final stock of cards. Then the silk could be used to produce a billiard ball to flow smoothly into a ball routine. The silk could also be used, of course, to move into any number of silk routines, like the serpent silk, which is also good misdirection for obtaining the first ball in a ball routine.

A card fountain would be a nice (but messy) ending. The acts following you might not appreciate that. (At most there may be 3 or 4 cards that dropped on the floor during your card productions; but a whole deck on the floor would be a nuisance.)

I always thought a floating card routine (as opposed to a rising selected card routine) might make a good ending to a card manip routine. In the "old" books it was done with a queen and called "Queen of the Air." Ottokar Fischer's book _Illustrated Magic_ had some nice floating card effects. To end the routine the card could just rise up to the ceiling and out of sight.

One of my pipe dreams was to make a "foo" bucket to drop the cards in. Then at the end of the routine the hat could be turned over to dump out the cards, but instead a hat coil starts cascading to the stage. If you have an assistant, you could pull out the end of a 50-fooit streamer and the assistant walks stage left with the streamer as you walk stage right with the hat, filling the length of the stage with the streamer.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Wow, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to stay away from the silks though..

Matt
juggernaut187
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of juggernaut187
I saw a guy finish his routine by turning a card fan into a top hat made of cards. The gimmick to do it is on the market. I've seen it around for years but never thought of doing it until I saw the reaction the guy got when he did it. Crowd went crazy -- he tilted the hat, took his bow, put it on and exited stage. Just a thought.

You can pick up the hat here -- http://themagicwarehouse.com/LB6369/Card-Fan-To-Tophat.htm

It's expensive, but pretty visual.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Cards from mouth
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I love seeing cards from mouth done well (a la Charlie is Frye.)

I haven't seen a card castle in a long time. What kind of reactions do they get? I'm guessing that most people know more or less how it's done, but I remember being surprised and delighted when one was revealed.

Any recommendations for a good/affordable card castle?

-Daniel
ting
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of ting
Quote:
On 2009-01-19 13:09, DanielCoyne wrote:
I love seeing cards from mouth done well (a la Charlie is Frye.)

I haven't seen a card castle in a long time. What kind of reactions do they get? I'm guessing that most people know more or less how it's done, but I remember being surprised and delighted when one was revealed.

Any recommendations for a good/affordable card castle?

-Daniel

Mine is a Onosaka version made in Japan. It is really well-made and it includes a "Jumbo Card Fan to mini Card castle" Effect, Which I like very much.
However, Its price are quite high though.

Anson
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tony Clarks's or Jeff McBride's appearing Jumbo Cards.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
DO NOT do cards from mouth as Soooooo many people do that as an ender.

Why not just hold your hand above the receptacle the cards go into and have them jump back up into your hand. Bow. etc...
Official Thread Killer
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
In order to really give you the best answer that you seek, it is important to know what you are doing in your act already. Not so much just the effects but define for us:

- who you are on stage or your character
- what style are you performing in
- what is your music like
- who is your intended audience
- is there any theme to the act that you do
- what do you want to convey or tell the audience from this act
- what venues do you plan on performing this for

Answers to some of these questions help me to define exactly what you are doing and what you are after. Every act should be like a book of sorts. What you put in an act needs to make the act better and stronger and needs to help the act along. If it does not meet up to criteria (based on questions I asked) then is simply should not go in the act at all.

If you have not defined or answered these questions I pose to you, then take some time to really think about it as it makes a world of difference to your magic and how your magic is perceived. Too many manipulators do the same old thing and it feels the same as others simply because what they are showing is just the same effects done in a different order.

YOU as a magician can and should be creative. YOU have the power to add more to your magic then just skill alone. Give your audiences something more to grab ahold of and enjoy.

So tell me a bit more about you and the act you are doing and I can give you some great ideas that may really help. My pleasure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks for the help, I made a video to show you what my act is going to look like,

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMivgl7Pb_k

Thanks,

Matt
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Matt,

Wow! You have really great control of some seriously knuckle-busting moves. I can't wait to see it when it's polished up.

I think you could edit the routine a little...there are a few sequences that seem a little disjointed and hard to follow. Keep paying attention to transitions and finding ways to make it build.

I'm super impressed, though. How old are you? How did you learn this stuff? How much do you practice? Don't forget to get out of that basement from time to time. You know...fresh air, friends, that sort of thing. : )

Good stuff,
Dan
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Lol, Thanks a lot,

I will work on my transitions and sequences. I am 15 years old and I play soccer and tennis and I am doing well in school and have a lot of friends.

I learned magic from my friends who are other magicians. They showed me a french drop and taught it to me and I had it perfect in a few days. At first I practiced 3 hours a day, but now being a freshman, it is really hard to balance everything out so I only practice 1 hour a day. I wish I could practice more.

The most important part though is sitting down and thinking of a routine. I feel that I get mostly inspired of a routine through music.

Thanks a lot for the help, I will definitely change it around a bit
(I am using this routine to run for club president at my local SYM meetings)

Thanks again,

Matt
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Jumbo Cards ( Fan to See )

Cards to Silk

Card to Snowstorm ( That's what I use )

Card Fountain ( Must have a drop box or top hat )

Throw Streamers

Card Castle

or just end with making a fan in each hand and trowing them up into the air and bow ( if you don't mind wasting a few cards here and there

Best of luck,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Matt,

Just out of curiosity, do you do any juggling? Your manipulation abilities suggest you would pick it up really quickly. I don't think there are too many people who perform with strong technical juggling and magic manipulation. (Charlie Frye is someone who immediately comes to mind.)

-Dan
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 11:53, DanielCoyne wrote:
Matt,

Just out of curiosity, do you do any juggling? Your manipulation abilities suggest you would pick it up really quickly. I don't think there are too many people who perform with strong technical juggling and magic manipulation. (Charlie Frye is someone who immediately comes to mind.)

-Dan

Dan,

I don't juggle seriously like in competitions, but I have learned it and I can do it pretty well.

I was wondering if you knew the "fan to see" was the same as the jumbo card production by Tony Clark, because I am looking for a jumbo card production at the end of my routine.

Dan,

I also noticed that you live in Massachusetts as well as me. Which magic store do you go to? I go to Diamonds Magic.

Regards

Matt
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey Matt,

Glad to hear you are a well rounded guy (sports, grades, friends, and of course juggling.) I'm also impressed with your practice ethic -- even a real hour of daily practice is a lot to keep up with.

Andrewzuber (a new member here on the Café) is taking private lessons with Tony Clark -- he may be able to tell you about Tony's jumbo card production.

There aren't any local magic or juggling shops out here in Western Massachusetts. I usually end up going to Tannen's in New York City. Have you ever been to the Mystery Lounge in Cambridge or Hank Lee's Magic Conclave in Cape Cod?

Are there any good regular club meetings out there? I haven't really been able to connect with magic enthusiasts in this area.

-Dan
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Quote:
On 2009-01-25 19:27, DanielCoyne wrote:
Hey Matt,

Glad to hear you are a well rounded guy (sports, grades, friends, and of course juggling.) I'm also impressed with your practice ethic -- even a real hour of daily practice is a lot to keep up with.

Andrewzuber (a new member here on the Café) is taking private lessons with Tony Clark -- he may be able to tell you about Tony's jumbo card production.

There aren't any local magic or juggling shops out here in Western Massachusetts. I usually end up going to Tannen's in New York City. Have you ever been to the Mystery Lounge in Cambridge or Hank Lee's Magic Conclave in Cape Cod?

Are there any good regular club meetings out there? I haven't really been able to connect with magic enthusiasts in this area.

-Dan

Let's talk through PM.

matt
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Just remember, just because you know every move with a trick doesn't mean you should DO IT. You got the moves down, now it's time to work on your character and motivations.
Official Thread Killer
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Matt,

Good job, I just watched your video on YouTube.

Here are my comments:

1) Practice with both of your shoulders facing the audience. Your body blocked 90 degrees during your card act, which means that you are blocking 50% of your audience's view.

2) Emotions please...

3) Know when to stop and look at the audience. Wait for them to applause. If they don't, just bow and smile.

But overall, nice work. Good luck to you and your magic, man! Smile

Regards,
Kenny Wong
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Finale for a card manipulation routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL