The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best height for effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I've starting showing some of my favorite and most confident effects to both friends and strangers in different situations, and I've found sitting at a table to be the worst environment for me.

When my hands are above my elbows, moves that are comfortable and smooth when I'm standing suddenly feel awkward and risky.

So...I either stand up at the table or pull my chair out and do the effect at lap-level for just one person.

Anyone else find it awkward to perform while seated at a table? Solutions?

-Dan
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
I really don't like working seated either. Luckily, in 15 years of performing, I've never been in a situation where I had to work seated. It's a stand- up world!
- Mike
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
If you want to get better at your at the table work, I would check out anything you can find by Slydini and his students like Tony Clark. Slydini put a lot of work into lapping techniques, I got a great video by Tony that covered these and that got me excited to do more stuff at the table because there are things you can do with lapping that you can't do standing without a gimmick.

But yeah it's awkward to switch up your arm position. I am hoping some experts will weigh in on this thread on how to make that less awkward. I would suggest biting the bullet and practice bringing your hands up when you stand too because you (probably) want the focus of the magic to be near your face and not your crotch.

-Burke

PS I am from Williamstown, MA. Whereabouts in Western MA are you?
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Thanks for the responses.

Scaevola -- I grew up in North Adams, and now live an hour away near Northampton. Do you live in Williamstown now? I haven't really connected with other magic enthusiasts in the area. Want to meet for a coffee?

Daniel
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Wow cool. Actually I am living in Portland, OR right now. Living in Williamstown I was always frustrated that there wasn't a magic scene. It's really exciting to meet you. Next time I am back on the east coast I will let you know.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Some things are awkward so I simply alternate sitting and standing as needed.
A higher chair or lower table helps.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I've found it helpful to practice two versions of tricks, for standing and at a table.

If you're at a table, maybe try casually folding one leg under your butt for the extra elevation over the surface.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I've found that when perform standing up for people sitting down that they have been able to see a few of my moves. I always try to keep my hands around their waste level sometimes their chest level but no higher.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best height for effects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL