The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best two or three card effects you do right now (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 00:28, Demonbrn wrote:

Pen is Mightier (sharpie pen reveal, the laymen's card is revealed where 'Sharpie was Writen)

Sean Connery did a similarly named card trick on Saturday Night Live once. Just make 1 word out of the first 2 words in the title, and then add "Mightier" and you've got the it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
"Ambitious card" I learned from Michael Ammar's video however I added one step at the end as a nod to Tommy Wonder.. the last production ends up in a Candy tin. I like to tell the story of how Dia Vernon fooled Houdini with this trick...and it is actually THE trick that inspired me ten years ago to get involved with Magic. I happened to catch David Blaine performed it on Oprah.

"Phil" Opens the door for humor and just when they think you set them up for a joke...it pokes them in the brain with an unexplainable revelation.

"Invisible Deck" I use Jay Sankey's version with the X....Many times people think you're just cleverly flipping a card over. With Jay's version...they are speechless when it is not only the only card flipped over but when it is the only one with a huge bold X marked on it. The janitor will be sweeping jaws off the floor.
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 00:53, johndraws wrote:
"Ambitious card" I learned from Michael Ammar's video however I added one step at the end as a nod to Tommy Wonder.. the last production ends up in a Candy tin. I like to tell the story of how Dia Vernon fooled Houdini with this trick...and it is actually THE trick that inspired me ten years ago to get involved with Magic. I happened to catch David Blaine performed it on Oprah.

"Phil" Opens the door for humor and just when they think you set them up for a joke...it pokes them in the brain with an unexplainable revelation.

"Invisible Deck" I use Jay Sankey's version with the X....Many times people think you're just cleverly flipping a card over. With Jay's version...they are speechless when it is not only the only card flipped over but when it is the only one with a huge bold X marked on it. The janitor will be sweeping jaws off the floor.

I use a version of Invisible Deck from Sean Taylor called Crazy Mans Handcuffs. It's the same principle, but you openly spread through the cards face up, and tell people that there is only ONE card in the deck that is marked, you get them to name a card they see, and it is taken cleanly from the deck, placed in spectators hand and then they turn it over to see a massive bold 5D on the back (assuming the card was a 5 of diamonds) then they are always like, hey I want to see the rest, so you say, not only is the back marked, but that is the only red backed card in this blue deck (spread to show blue backs) It's just SUCH an easy handling for big reactions.

Anyway.

Maxi Twist - I saw it on a Bill Malone DVD
Mini Milton - Alex Elmsley
Ambitious Card
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Signature effect by darwin ortiz
just friends by david solomon
blockbuster by darwin ortiz
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 22:30, salmononius2 wrote:
1: Biddle Trick- I use the one taught on Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin Vol. 5. It's been my number 1 trick for the past couple of months, the trick that I will most likely do if someone asks to see a trick.

2: Ambitious Ace Through Five- Also from Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin Vol. 5 (That set has gold in it). It's basically an impromptu 5 Speed.

3: I don't really have a number 3 yet, although it's probably Las Vegas Leaper by Paul Harris (Art of Astonishment Volume 1)

The Complete Card Magic series is great - the only thing I don't like is Gerry doesn't credit the performers who created the effects he's teaching. The Ambitious Ace Through Five is Larry Jennings' Ambitious Classic. He teaches Reset and calls it The Optical Illusion. C'mon! Just say that it's Reset and that it's by Paul Harris! Anyways, the three effects you mentioned are not just good, solid items that can be done impromptu with any deck. They're classic routines that have been featured and are featured in the repertoires of many fine close-up performers.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
A lot of people replied with Invisible Deck as one of their routines - just reading these responses only cements the fact that you can do much more with this deck than one would think initially. Not only are their numerous possible presentations for the Invisible Deck routine, but you can use the deck and moreover the principle behind the deck - the roughing of the cards to make them stay together - for completely different card effects. I would encourage everyone to go get roughing spray or 3M ReMount, start playing around with the cards, and see what you can come up with. For me, it's been the equivalent of playing with Play-Doh when I was a child.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 05:55, sohaib wrote:
A lot of people replied with Invisible Deck as one of their routines - just reading these responses only cements the fact that you can do much more with this deck than one would think initially. Not only are their numerous possible presentations for the Invisible Deck routine, but you can use the deck and moreover the principle behind the deck - the roughing of the cards to make them stay together - for completely different card effects. I would encourage everyone to go get roughing spray or 3M ReMount, start playing around with the cards, and see what you can come up with. For me, it's been the equivalent of playing with Play-Doh when I was a child.

You're right, I saw an ingenious card effect with roughing spray applied in a clever fashion at a lecture last month. I think there are a probably lot of uses beyond the Invisible Deck that I just don't know about.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 23:58, Pete Biro wrote:
The best 3 card tricks I use all the time?
Triumph
Bullet
Card on forehead

With gaffes?

Chicago Surprise
Clifton's "Startled" (his McDonald's Aces)
Blizzard

Trilogy (Dean Dill's one deck of bikes set-up)

Dean has a one deck (Bikes) version of "Trilogy"? Is it published?

Robert
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Well, now that so many were kind enough to provide sohaib with a nice harvest list, what next?
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 11:52, Open Traveller wrote:
Well, now that so many were kind enough to provide sohaib with a nice harvest list, what next?

er, read another thread?
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:

Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Smile
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Hmm... I think the best ones I do right now are probably Fearson's Aces, Think Touch Turn, and Doc Daley's... they all kind of go together in a nice little set.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
1. Chicago Surprise
2. Triumph/ACR
3. Twins (Hamman)
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:

Why assume the worst? Have you never just hung out with other magic buddies and asked them what kind of stuff they do in their gigs? Their favorite tricks? etc...
ladirector
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of ladirector
Card on forehead, ambitious card, cutting the aces, collectors, open travellers.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Jstone,

I'm not assuming the worst. I simply pointed up the end result of all this.

The analysis goes something like this:

If sohaib had no intentions of ever using any of this information, then why ask the question and consequently glut the Café with another thread of meaningless lists?

If he did have intentions of using this information, then the question is, for what? In answering that, we're quite naturally drawn to the idea that maybe asking the question is a substitute for doing a little research, learning, etc.

Kind of like he's doing with the Wild Card thread. In the old days, someone would do as much research as he could, list all the references he found, and then if he needed more help, he'd say, "Here's what I've found...anybody have any others?" Now, thanks to the Internet, we have a neat way to get everyone to build our lists for us from the ground up. Nothing wrong with that and nobody seems to mind. Or notice.

It's okay to spread the labor like that, but it certainly does seem less like a work of passion, then, doesn't it?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Sorry to say that I sort of agree with OT. Even if sohaib's on the level, this sort of thread could easily be pilfered by somebody whose intentions aren't.

That said, in the spirit of sharing, the three best tricks I do right now are the following...

1) The Amtrak Shuffle
2) "In lieu of the dotted line"
3) ChangWon Surprise
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Triumph" Vernon or a stand up version.
"Too Many Cards" Derek Dingle.
"Fab Four Revisited" J.C. Wagner.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
-Ambitious Card
-Stranger in Paradise (Marlo)
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 16:27, Open Traveller wrote:
Jstone,

I'm not assuming the worst. I simply pointed up the end result of all this.

The analysis goes something like this:

If sohaib had no intentions of ever using any of this information, then why ask the question and consequently glut the Café with another thread of meaningless lists?

If he did have intentions of using this information, then the question is, for what? In answering that, we're quite naturally drawn to the idea that maybe asking the question is a substitute for doing a little research, learning, etc.

Kind of like he's doing with the Wild Card thread. In the old days, someone would do as much research as he could, list all the references he found, and then if he needed more help, he'd say, "Here's what I've found...anybody have any others?" Now, thanks to the Internet, we have a neat way to get everyone to build our lists for us from the ground up. Nothing wrong with that and nobody seems to mind. Or notice.

It's okay to spread the labor like that, but it certainly does seem less like a work of passion, then, doesn't it?

You guys are hilarious! I'm just here to have a good time like all of you Smile.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best two or three card effects you do right now (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL