The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best two or three card effects you do right now (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Well, have away. I prefer to be a little less haphazard.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 16:27, Open Traveller wrote:
Jstone,

I'm not assuming the worst. I simply pointed up the end result of all this.

The analysis goes something like this:

If sohaib had no intentions of ever using any of this information, then why ask the question and consequently glut the Café with another thread of meaningless lists?

If he did have intentions of using this information, then the question is, for what? In answering that, we're quite naturally drawn to the idea that maybe asking the question is a substitute for doing a little research, learning, etc.

Kind of like he's doing with the Wild Card thread. In the old days, someone would do as much research as he could, list all the references he found, and then if he needed more help, he'd say, "Here's what I've found...anybody have any others?" Now, thanks to the Internet, we have a neat way to get everyone to build our lists for us from the ground up. Nothing wrong with that and nobody seems to mind. Or notice.

It's okay to spread the labor like that, but it certainly does seem less like a work of passion, then, doesn't it?

You're comments come across as petty imo. The internet does change things, it makes accessing information easier. I don't see why changing your starting point for research would have bearing on your passion for magic. Seems like more of a "kids have it so easy these days" comment.

Obviously you do not have to share things on threads like this if you don't want to, but just move on... random criticisms add more of a glut to the Café than just sharing the names of effects. You never know, you could benefit from hearing other people's ideas too... does that make you less passionant? I guess only you can answer the question for yourself.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 15:57, jstone wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 11:52, Open Traveller wrote:
Well, now that so many were kind enough to provide sohaib with a nice harvest list, what next?

Why assume the worst? Have you never just hung out with other magic buddies and asked them what kind of stuff they do in their gigs? Their favorite tricks? etc...

Exactly!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2969 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 17:53, sohaib wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 15:57, jstone wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 11:52, Open Traveller wrote:
Well, now that so many were kind enough to provide sohaib with a nice harvest list, what next?

Why assume the worst? Have you never just hung out with other magic buddies and asked them what kind of stuff they do in their gigs? Their favorite tricks? etc...

Exactly!

To be fair, when you're talking to your magic buddies, you know who you're talking to and whether or not they're trustworthy, and you can also control things so that random strangers can't listen in.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin***

I want to know who this guy is and how he gets by with simply changing the name of a trick "Ambitious A-5" and from I can find, it's Jennings Ambit. Classic yet he gives no credit?!?!?

I did a quick Google and pretty much got my answer! It's a Penguin product and his kudos come from it's staff and Rob Stiff of Magic Makers! GOOD GRIEF! Everything else under that search on the first page was links to Torrent sites!

It's sad that these thieves get away with what they do but it's even sadder that people who claim to love magic continue to support them!

Mick
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
You're comments come across as petty imo. The internet does change things, it makes accessing information easier. I don't see why changing your starting point for research would have bearing on your passion for magic. Seems like more of a "kids have it so easy these days" comment.

Obviously you do not have to share things on threads like this if you don't want to, but just move on... random criticisms add more of a glut to the Café than just sharing the names of effects. You never know, you could benefit from hearing other people's ideas too... does that make you less passionant? I guess only you can answer the question for yourself.

What ideas, exactly, are we talking about here? Simply listing the names of routines doesn't entail any ideas.

It's not "kids have it so easy these days" as much as it's "kids have a much harder time realizing the value of things these days." The Internet does make accessing information easier. That can be a good thing as long as you have the critical skills to know what you're seeking and know what you're going to do with what you get.

Having all that information at your fingertips also devalues it. What's the worth of knowing something when it's drowned in five billion pounds of trivia? How can you recognize the real beauty of, say, Triumph, when you can simply ask for -- and receive -- 1,000 variations of the plot, most of them crap?

And it's not a criticism to offer that their may be another way, perhaps a better way, to think about things. It's no insult to offer the thought that there may be approaches that offer greater value. It's no putdown to suggest that there may be something to quality or thinking things through...just for a moment.

Or, I guess it could be a criticism or an insult or a put down, if for some reason you're determined not to give a crap about any of that stuff.

Like I said, I just prefer to do things a little less haphazardly, that's all. If you don't, no big whoop. It's not for everybody.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
To be fair, when you're talking to your magic buddies, you know who you're talking to and whether or not they're trustworthy, and you can also control things so that random strangers can't listen in.

And, to answer jstone's question, no, I never ask other magicians what they do on their gigs. If they bring it up and a conversation evolves around it, fine, but it's none of my business, any more than their clients' names or fee structure is any of my business.

But, if I did ask them, I'd hope the conversation would be more than just everybody around the table naming three tricks all night long.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 18:06, Open Traveller wrote:
. . . I'd hope the conversation would be more than just everybody around the table naming three tricks all night long.

In all fairness - given the title of this thread - some might name only two; voilà: variety!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I'm going to have to agree with Open Traveller. There's nothing like spending 20 or even 30 years of your life researching books only to have everything handed out for free to young magicians who don't even read.

On the brighter side, I've offered up lists of my favorite effects on these type of threads like a lot of people have, and the end result I suspect is that no one really pays much attention.

Robert
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 18:01, MickeyPainless wrote:
***Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin***

I want to know who this guy is and how he gets by with simply changing the name of a trick "Ambitious A-5" and from I can find, it's Jennings Ambit. Classic yet he gives no credit?!?!?

I did a quick Google and pretty much got my answer! It's a Penguin product and his kudos come from it's staff and Rob Stiff of Magic Makers! GOOD GRIEF! Everything else under that search on the first page was links to Torrent sites!

It's sad that these thieves get away with what they do but it's even sadder that people who claim to love magic continue to support them!

Mick

Sorry about not answering you other post, but I just saw it now and decided I might respond to this post as well. I do not own Jenning's trick so I do not know whether or not it was copied. If you would like to describe the trick to me, I will gladly tell you whether or not they are the same.

While this is not a Penguin product as you mentioned, that was where I got it (it was available as a bonus a while ago), I did not actually buy it. Although I do have to agree with you, I think I have finished watching the entire DVD and they do not give credit at all. However, that does not stop the actual material on it to be amazing.

Assuming you were referring to Gerry Griffin when you asked who that guy is, as far as I know, he is a very talented magician. He has a trick in Art of Astonishment Vol. 1 (in the astonishing friends section, I believe the trick is called Griffin Card Under Glass, but don't quote me on it).

Wow, I've been on these forums for about 2 days and my posts are already getting slammed Smile Is that a record? Do I get an award or something? Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

If you consider any of my post a slamming on you, you must be harboring some type of guilt!

If you are in fact interested in who's tricks this guy appears to have robbed, a bit of research should yield results!

Mick
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 21:43, Robert M wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with Open Traveller. There's nothing like spending 20 or even 30 years of your life researching books only to have everything handed out for free to young magicians who don't even read.

On the brighter side, I've offered up lists of my favorite effects on these type of threads like a lot of people have, and the end result I suspect is that no one really pays much attention.

Robert

Robert...I do not want to seem disrespectful to you, this is not a personal attack on you at all however, your view is very popular with Magicians who have been forced to spend a large amount of time finding material. Us younger folks do appreciate the valuable time people like you have spent to discover these treasures. Many older magicians are very bitter about new technologies and the split second access EVERYONE is now capable of. Often times they feel that because they had to learn a certain way that everyone should...or they didn't earn it or are some how less worthy. How anyone is less worthy of buying a book, lecture notes or DVD is beyond me. What is the difference if a magician picked up a book and learned your favorite trick on day one opposed to not stumbling upon it for 5 years? The rate at how soon material meets a magicians hands is completely meaningless. I do understand the feelings people have that they put in years of service to obtain their wealth of knowledge. But understand this. Most of the time younger magicians (hopefulls) simply ask people what tricks do you use out of sheer curiosity. As simple as what cellular company do you use? What classes did you take? What job are you going after? Sure...they are going to compare their answers at times to what they did or did not apply in their own situation.Please don't take offence to it...the attitude that the "younger" performers have not "earned" the knowledge yet is quite silly. I say the magician who feels this way is simply jealous that others have it easier. The fact is the routine was never theirs in the first place. There is no such thing as first dibs when it comes to public released material. I personally have shuffled through countless DVD's, magazines, books and talks with a select few magicians. I have 10 years of experience...but I don't feel I earned what I know.If I could have compressed it all in two years...I would have. I simply had to sift through mountains of material to get to the items I found appealing to me. When younger magicians watch others perform, ask questions or search the internet for material it isn't exactly short cuts. It is efficient...and people resent that when they should embrace it. The person learning still looks...reads, learns practices and applies what they learn. IF that is meaningless...then what does that say about ones self appointed worthiness? If you had to chose in the beginning to go faster or slower with aquiring your material I doubt anyone would have chosen the slower more tedious coarse. When you can observe a trick done in person or in a video...you have a benefit of actually visualizing it before you learn it. You have an opportunity to decide in advance wether it is or is not impressive...time isn't wasted. You move on. People think it builds character or deepens their knowledge.How? Time invested in finding the item does not have any revlevance in my opinion. You can be a vicitm of circumstance...or benefit from it. Fate? Luck? Perhaps...worthiness? Not at all.

Hope this doesn't sound insulting. It isn't meant that way at all. It is just food for thought.

Robert
[/quote]
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 22:40, MickeyPainless wrote:
If you consider any of my post a slamming on you, you must be harboring some type of guilt!

If you are in fact interested in who's tricks this guy appears to have robbed, a bit of research should yield results!

Mick

I meant that facetiously, no hard feelings (I hope)! I said it was my posts that were getting slammed, not me. I'll see if I can look up the tricks tomorrow, I'm too tired right now.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

No hard feelings what so ever! Take a surf around You Tube for "Ambitious Classic" and see what ya find! Michael Vincent has a sweet handling of it and I'm sure there are others!

Mick
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Triumph has been a common response here - makes sense. I feel that no matter which version of Triumph you do, it never fails to register. When I ask audiences what they remember from my performance, they always remember Triumph; it's often the first thing that's mentioned when I ask them what they liked the best. I often use the Slop Shuffle for Vernon's original routine instead of the Pull-Through Shuffle. I have used the Zarrow Shuffle to accomplish the effect too. I'll usually follow this with Bannon's Play it Straight Triumph, probably one of the finest self-working effects in card magic. There are, ofcourse, many other versions of Triumph - no matter which one you do, you're sure to be successful with it.

- Sohaib
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 21:43, Robert M wrote:

Robert

I don't think it's fair to categorize a large group of people only by age either... anyway, why be jealous of people who don't read; if people are getting things "for free" they certainly aren't getting the knowledge and experience that can only come from spending a lot of time reading, thinking about, and performing magic... and that's what makes all of the best tricks good. I've seen people such as you describe perform master-level tricks and get no reaction because they didn't understand how to be a performer. I guarantee that if an experienced magician performed the same trick for the same audience a day later they would think they had never seen the effect before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if people are not investing time in their magical education it is their loss, not yours.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
This is getting way off topic, so to create the illusion that I'm not going to digress, here are three more tricks I do:

Triumph
Doc Dailey's Last Trick
Triptych (my handling of a three card revelation)

Digress:
A few people are complaining about this thread, yet the subject line was interesting enough that they clicked on the link and landed in here. Should we question your motives? Was your intention to pilfer the list?

Those who are worried that others will come across this thread and pilfer the list should consider the fact that most threads on the Café fit into that category. The Café is "Magicians Helping Magicians."

That being the case, there will be threads of people posting free advice here on the Café. Whether that advice is a list of tricks or how to improve a trick or what books are best to read, etc... the bottom line is there is information here that is free for anyone with a web browser.

If you are opposed to magic information being out there for free, I totally respect that. But if you are opposed, then why did you sign up on the Café in the first place? I assume it's because either you wanted information or you felt you had information to offer.

Finally:
I know I'm going to get a lot of people saying that I'm crazy or throwing at me the argument of "yeah well that's different" with what I'm about to say, but here it goes:

There have been comments made that in the old days research was done such and such way... now that we have the internet it makes people appreciate it less... go read a good book about magic, etc..

I'm a huge believer in reading magic books as well. However, by the logic being applied above, you could condemn the first publishers of modern day magic books. I'll bet 100 years ago people where saying "in the old days, learning was done under an apprenticeship. You worked hard for it. Now-a-days, any old person can just pick up a book that's got everything neatly placed together for anyone to pilfer."

While I'm all for nostalgia and the good ol' days and learning from books and being a serious student, I'm also totally against this argument:

--we shouldn't do it that way because that's not how it was done in the past--

When Brother John Hamman released "Your Signed Card," it spread through the magi fraternity like wild fire. But should they have been doing that trick? According to the logic in this thread, they shouldn't because that's not the way tricks used to be.

Times are changing guys...

Hopefully I haven't come across too harshly... passionate? Yes. Anyway, I'm just one man, and that's just one man's opinion. I'm open for any feedback and rational discussion.

Your thoughts?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Dingle's Too Many Cards
Vernon's Twisting the Aces
Jennings' Stabbed Coincidence

I was going to list Jennings' The Visitor second, but in my restaurant work the one effect more than any other that I've had repeat customers ask me to perform for their friends is Twisting the Aces, so there you go.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Wow Bill, Stabbed Coincidence really brings back memories. I performed that a lot when it first came out. Let's see for me, my favorite to perform and get the best reactions:

Paul Harris's 'Lala's Lulu'.
Bruce Cervon's 'The Trap'
Rick Marotta's 'Fair is Fair'
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I like to know what you guys are doing so I can do something else.LOL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best two or three card effects you do right now (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL